xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avalanch  (Read 112 times)

Bigjon87

• Archived User
Avalanch
« on: February 01, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

avalaunch*******

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

http://www.teamavala....com/tour1.html

even though there is one or 2 things missing on the 'pros' of evox, its a pretty good idea.

Best thing do is TRY IT

>lys<

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

I agree with heinrich, just try it. If you like it - keep it. Otherwise, just go back to EvoX. This isn't religion, no one will KILL YOU for not liking a dash wink.gif

Btw, heinrich. For fairness' sake I'd want to add those 2 pros of EvoX to that page. What 2 features were you thinking about?

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 05:20:00 AM »

IGR (which works quite well now) and Trainers.
Not a feature that everyone that everyone uses, but then again, neither is an IRC and telnet client.  tongue.gif
Another 'useless' feature is SMART attribute reading.

also....
you show the menu for edit xbe title/download game save/properties, and then a seperate screenshot for each.  Does the menu to choose between 3 features really count as another feature?
I also like how when the one clear advantage evox has (bios flashing), it isnt sitting next to a broken image display for ava, something else is pointed out as an advantage for ava.  You cant compare one feature to another and have one 'win'.  Each feature is only as good as the user finds in it.

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »

The thing that is kinda :/ about the chart; is that you make it a competition.  Last time I checked, both evox and ava were free, there is no prize for whoever has the most users.  Yet, on your website, you make it a point to knock on other dashes.  Of course we all know it wasnt the devs that made the chart, it was arguably the biggest fanboy in this scene who did.  He goes out of his way to 'fan the flames' so to speak.  Look in threads for evox releases and unleashx releases.  While others comment on the actual dash, ask and answer questions (that is what a forum is for, right?), your boy SniperKilla finds that his 2 cents are needed.
boostmode is a feature of avalaunch not qwix, and will never grace the ftp of evox.

and man first update in 6 months.. look at all those new features

and...
(about an IRC client in unleashx)
*yawn* so last year

and about qwix not working, you dont deserve to use qwix then,

anyways, decent release, still trying too hard to be like evox, but hey everyone wants to be like someone, glad to see your actually updating the dash unlike evox....

*me wonders where the skin preview idea came from *

What a great service to the community.  Instead of promoting such garbage, why not JUST show your own dash in your tour?

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

oh ya.. you also left out hard drive locking/unlocking, and backing up your eeprom from your nice little chart.  wink.gif

the joker

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »

ava have had eeprom backup ever since the eeprom problems, and locking/unlocking has been disabled for a while, awaiting a good reason to have it.

but I agree  -  only a full comparison is a proper one.

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

While better than what is there, yes.  But I think that no comparison would be best.  When you make a chart - you are thinking for users.  It would make more sense to just have what is there minus all the 'vs evox' nonesense.  Its only a matter of time before there is a unleashx vs. ava,  MXM vs. ava. MXM vs. unleashx, etc charts and tables, just think about how your userbase would/do react to anything 'anti-ava'.  Just seems a bit fruitless to me.

But no matter, I will continue to recommend ava to people.  wink.gif

And sorry for taking over your thread Bigjon87.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

i think evox is a fine dash,  it isnt great....

@heinrich
the reasons you listed i whould rather leave of to a specailized program since they are quite volitile(sic) if done wrong and whould be substantail(sic) pain in the ass to fix (eeproming and flashing)

as for igr, i dont think having in dash igr is resonable only if you have a pair bios (evox has its own bios, i know you know it, but you might not connect the dots if you are reading this late)

the only feature that keeps evox on my hdd is the scripting and formating... which it is the only thing that does it that isn't another dash (to my knowlage)

and as for useless features meh, each man to his own, use the dash that fits you best...

the joker

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 03:59:00 PM »

I'd be flattered if everyone thought ava was the given standard and tried to measure their programs to ours. I totally understand it's easy to see the negative side of this kinda of measuring - but I just hope you're able to see the positive sides as well :-)

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 04:12:00 PM »

the reasons you listed i whould rather leave of to a specailized program since they are quite volitile(sic) if done wrong and whould be substantail(sic) pain in the ass to fix (eeproming and flashing)

Do as you wish - evox was the first the flash your chip, and is perfectly stable.  The eeprom stuff is the same exact code as the specialized program (config magic).  But it is still a feature of the dash, no?

Are comparison charts so bad? Look around you.. Its all comparison of some form!

How does making a chart make decisions for people?
It sounds like your trying to make decisions for others. I think a comparison chart is handy for all of the people who post "why ava vs. xdash bla bla".. If your dash sucks on paper, improve it. Im sure the Ava, unleashx, mxm, evox and any other dash devs would be less concerned than you seem to be due to the fact that it IS freeware and they do this because its something to do, a hobby or just plain cool.

How am I trying to decide anything for anyone?  Read my first post in this thread man, keywords: "Try it".
I am not really concerned - I answered the question posted by giving a link and my 2 cents on it, as opposed to pointing out what is already in the chart + my 2 cents anyway.  I was asked what was left off the chart - I answered.  If no one has asked, I wouldnt have.
btw, 'your dash', heh, care to guess what dash I use as my primary dash?  And what dash I recommend to people the most?  You seem to jumping to some conclusions with little info.

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Feb 2 2004, 08:59 PM)
I'd be flattered if everyone thought ava was the given standard and tried to measure their programs to ours. I totally understand it's easy to see the negative side of this kinda of measuring - but I just hope you're able to see the positive sides as well :-)

I don't know anyone who doesnt see advantages / more features in avalaunch as opposed to evox.  Course it makes sense to use evox as the standard to compare your work to, its the original dash, and still most widely used.

I see dash's like a vehicle.  There is no clear cut 'best one'.
Some people like minivans, some like sports cars, some like SUVs.  Each has its own +'s and -'s.  Its all about what the individual user likes and wants.

Oh ya, and Chicken Scratch Boy, I'm sure once ava gets their flash routines 'perfected', it will be included as a feature.  Same with locking/unlocking hard drives.

In a perfect world (maybe just mine) - evox would share their flash code, and in turn, the other dashboard devs could help getting winbound support in.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

i havent been in the scene as long as you i dont see things as far bad and didnt realize that config magic and evox share code (is config magic open source?) nor that evox is the most stable /first flasher

heinrich

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (Chicken Scratch Boy @ Feb 2 2004, 09:31 PM)
i havent been in the scene as long as you i dont see things as far bad and didnt realize that config magic and evox share code (is config magic open source?) nor that evox is the most stable /first flasher

The hard drive lock/unlock code has was released (to the public) a while ago, the full config magic source was just released a little bit ago (this past month).
What other app is there to flash?  FlashX is finally a state where it can be used reliably, but only for xecuter chips.  Raincoat is nice and stable, but isnt exactly the user friendly app.  wink.gif

jokk

• Archived User
Avalanch
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »

What the point of dishing at a free software ?

Everyone dreamt of a community, with everyone working hand in hand, it's more like a battlefield now.
The sad part is that made lot of taluented people to forsake.

Try everything, keep using what you love, never let anyone tells you what to use !
Kneel and suck or rise and fight...
Pages: [1] 2