xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?  (Read 1378 times)

BanditRW

• Archived User
Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

I have to throw my vote in for the RROD or "3RLOD".I half-way defended MS because I really didn't believe the failure numbers I was hearing,plus the fact that I own three 360swith no problems..... biggrin.gif .....that is until 3 days ago... ohmy.gif ....when my Launch console suddenly froze-screen went blank-and when I rebooted.....3RLOD.Thats when I started reading up on the whole X-Clamp deal and when I finally tore into my 360 and saw how obvious the problem was and how simple/cheap the fix was...I was just mystified... blink.gif...
1.At how such an obvious design flaw could slip past MS &
2.How easy/simple the fix was to correct the flaw
Still...I'm not totally PO'ed at MS,it only cost me a couple of dollars to fix my 360 and now its running like a champ again,plus I've removed the X-Clamps from my other 360s just as a precaution and did some further cooling mods to the ductwork inside the 360.
Between my PC's,360's and PS3 ..I save a ton on heating in the winter,my gameroom is always nice and toasty   cool.gif

IPB Image

InvidiousDemise

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

even with all these failures, i still love my xbox360 and wouldn't dare trade it for a PS3... when it's working right, i have no problems with it... it does suck that i'm too afraid to mod it because it might crash or something....

I wanted to be selfish and vote D-Pad but that's not far as bad as my brother's RRoD problem, so the D-pad is something I can live with... I also don't see anything about the 360 menu being really slow... that's one of my bigger problems with it...

bobjim17

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »

I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed in my 360.

Time and time again I turn it on, only to play for a few minutes and end up playing KotOR or something on my original Xbox. I find the 360 slower, oddly enough, than the original xbox, and the sound output is crackly. Just to be finicky and add to the list of other issues.

Anyway, I voted for the RRoD issue, as I have suffered this twice. Fourth console for me. Hooray. Luckily the outfit I bought the thing from replaced it the first two times as it was in the first month (respectively) of me having the thing.

Total issues, however, are too numerous to list. The lack of an internal HDD, and the SKU with no HDD at all, are very valid points. I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) that any standard 3.5" HDD can be put in the PS3 with instant ability to use the entire space, whereas with the 360 (even if you do manage, by some miracle, to locate the correct model) you can still only use as much space as you would have had with a standard HDD. Of course, I understand that there is work involved with the PS3 HDD swap effort.

So, at one point I gave up and tried to sell my 360. I couldn't even sell it for half what I bought it for. Including games and all. This, to me, is a larger sign of a failed console than anything else you could name. People want to see some kind of investment from such a large and heavily-hyped product. Not the type you might get returns on, but the type that at least your neighbour might covet. Not something that breeds fear in the hearts of men.

The cheap components report from whichever Taiwanese company reported it was expected like an oncoming freight train.

To add to this, I am expecting in the future that M$ will release a version of the 360 with a next-gen DVD format internally. They did this with HDMI, and so I don't think see any reason to suspect they won't do so with the optical drive. The bitterly disappointing thing about this is that those of us that purchased the console originally will miss out (and did so with regards to HDMI) yet they will still call all sales a win for the 360. I understand changes made to improve the general console itself (such as with the different versions of the original Xbox) but adding technology into a released product is a no-no. Whats more, if any devs decide to create huge mammoth-proportion games (who's not waiting for this to happen?) and decide they want to release them on a console, they will have to go with PS3 as the 360 'cannot play games from the HD-DVD add-on'. Where's the justice, you say?

My only hope now lies in XBMC for the 360. The possibilities at this stage are limitless!

Another point that has occurred to me is an alternate angle of the price issue for the PS3. Sure, at this point its way above expectations. However, as prices for the technology drop, prices of the PS3 will come down, and this will not be an issue.

At the same time; most of the other issues the PS3 is currently sporting can be fixed by some well spent development dollars (the online service and the limited games selection to name two). Considering how long the PS2 has been round, and how it is still being made, supported and sold (WTF were you thinking M$, dropping xbox1!?!?) I would say Sony intend the PS3 to be around for a long time, and so are thus far not concerned about the price issue. After all, its working insofar as to further their control over the next-gen DVD market, isn't it?

Now, if only it didn't look like something food should be cooked on...

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »

Denying the RRoD problem for me.  It's one thing to have the problem in the first place, but when they go and just try to pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away...that's just too much.  They should have began working on a new design as soon as they found out about the RRoDs.  If they were too lazy to do that, then they should have included at least a 1 year warranty to begin with and just dumped the whole idea of 90 days.

Nosf3ratu

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 04:22:00 AM »

I think their biggest mistake was not including a high-def optical drive like Sony did. All of the console failures can be fixed but developers are really going to need extra storage in the future for when the games start to get big. I've been over multi-disc games since the 32-bit era, having them on a next-gen console is ridiculous. As for my 360, I've never had a problem with it.

ISOmaniac29

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fred_PJ @ Jul 9 2007, 11:02 PM) View Post

We should make a list and send it to Microsoft.

you are the man!

i have had just about every problem in the book with the 360 im sick of it ive owned four already and they

died after normal use and when i got the elite i thought maybe they would have fixed everything but they

still are not dealing with the problems at hand if you ask me because i still see them way too much  grr.gif

note: hd drive?

my system is blueray for the movie room could care less about anything HD anymore other then the TV itself

DIE-HARD

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »

The 360 NEEDS: XviD, DivX, and the need for .mkv container support.

It should also not require special formatting or sizing of the videos in order for it to play as long as it was compressed using a compatible codec!

Heck for under $100 you can go buy a DivX/XviD stand alone player. Tell me why MS would not be able to afford to license playback as others have and still make plenty of money? Heck I would buy another Xbox 360 if they had DivX/XviD support!

And last but not least, "Windows Home Networking" and I am not talking UPnP Media servers. I am talking SMB network browsing support.

xlordx

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »

all of the above should have been added :0 so rrod is a must.

Lordscr

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »

The biggest mistake is that, from their point of view, to make a single error code for most hardware faults.

If everything produced a different error code we all wouldn't been unified with the same problem.

jpolster2005

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »

I am wondering why the elite doesnt have hd dvd internally and wheres my web browser. three freakin cores and no browser?. surely it can handle it, plus its a COMPUTER

I am wondering why the elite doesnt have hd dvd internally and wheres my web browser. three freakin cores and no browser?. surely it can handle it, plus its a COMPUTER

XBOX360NYMODING

• Recovered User
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

i think the biggest mistake was not telling the public about the problem sooner and keep sending out fault boxes. next mistake is the file support. if you add more file support more people will use the system. drop the add on option and use the 360 for what its worth

Digital_sin

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »

defiantly No internal High-Def/Capacity Dis, this WILL bite them in the A$$ starting one year from now.

manu_xl

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »

RRoD is a big problem of the 360 but denying it for such a period of time is THE biggest mistake microsoft made since their initial xbox launch!

bassquake

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

Hmm. Voting system would be better if you could choose the order of preference of the mistakes of m$ instead. That way it'd be more indictive.

Mine would read (from worst to not bothered):

1. Red Ring of Dead (RRoD) Problem / Denying/Ignoring RRoD for 1.5y (same thing as far as im concerned).

2. Limited filetype support for media playback. (would be an xbmc killer probably!)

3. Overpriced accessoires (WiFi Adapter, HDD, ...) (£70 for a hd? ur havin a larf!)

4. Lack of a webbrowser. (Even the wii has one)

5. No internal High-Def/Capacity Disc. (Would be nice)

6. Low quality of standard headset / Sync issues with early controllers and wireless headset. (similar problems so count as one, dont even use one anyway)

The last ones: At launch only 90days warranty in USA and Crappy D-pad dont affect me as im in UK and I like the D-Pad! smile.gif

MickRick

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(XaN4 @ Jul 9 2007, 04:51 AM) View Post

i would have voted for all of them i can M$ did a very bad job on this console they put really cheap parts into this console i love what sony is doing and im not a sony fanboy is that sony gets no money from the console at all but all from games i wish M$ would put more time and money into the 360 a hd-dvd drive would not be that much more if was built in but really pisses me off is that the mics suck major balls i cant her crap out of them and some times the qualty is so bad i cat understand people

Maybe you should take your keyboard back and exchange it for one with punctuation keys, you know the ones I mean. ,.?;:"! that sort of thing.  And a spell-checker wouldn't be a bad idea either. jester.gif

Seriously though, I really do think that the rrod and denying it existed should be one option to vote on. It's the one thing that put me off the 360 for over a year (apart from the price). And the lack of divx/xvid/matroska video support and mp4 5.1ch audio is really annoying.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6