xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?  (Read 1405 times)

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »

D-pad and media support!

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

I know I mentioned this on page 2 of this thread but am I the only one who has noticed how utterly crap the Samsung DVD drives are? I've flashed around 30 systems with sammys installed and most of them (including my own) refuse to open when the console is positioned verctically. I really think this should be added to the list.

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »

i would like to say these r all the main mistakes if i could vote for all but its mostly the red ring light and overheating issue

LiteralTruth

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 03:39:00 AM »

I voted for the RROD denial.  It hasn't affected me personally, but I think that the epic scale of the PR catastrophe that is this problem will do the 360 no end of harm...especially as it's becoming more heavily promoted as the main rival gains foothold.  For me, this has offset whatever advantage MS might have had by releasing their system first and I really believe that this massive cock-up on their part means that once people get over the gimmick of the Wii, Sony will win this generation as comfortably as it did the last.

While that is undoubtably the biggest business mistake on MS' part though, for me personally the biggest irritation is the media support.  One of the main reasons I bought an 360 was as a media player.  The sheer crapness of the media application has shocked me though - the difficulty of using it even as an Mp3 players (when it comes to things like building up a playlist and browsing through your tracks) as well as the difficulty of using it as a place to actually story your already ripped media,  And the lack of file type support is something I'm still astounded by.   It really suprises me when they were gifted with a fantastic example of how to do it successfully with XBMC.

I'm just hoping that at some point we get proper mod chips for the 360 so that we can have XBMC360 - and I can finally unplug my original XBox from my TV.  

chane2k1

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

I voted for RRoD but wanted to pick denying it for 1.5 years as well. I have sold two 360's on ebay for someone to repair or use as parts because they were both past warranty and MS told me they wouldn't service them. I won't buy a new one until i know the Falcon chipset is inside it, even if that means waiting a little longer to play Halo 3.

MeKiwi

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

Depends on what you mean by "mistake." I am disappointed by the RROD issue, but not surprised... new technology often has it's drawbacks and glitches. I am pissed by their denial of the problem for the last year and a half, but that's standard marketing and I think it was much less of a "mistake" than the opposite would have been. If they had come out and said "Yeah, nearly 1/3 of all 360's out there will die" no one would buy one and they'd have no market share for Sony to try and take back. So, business-wise, neither of those are really "mistakes", in my book.

What I consider to be their biggest mistake isn't listed on the poll, and that is the fact that not every 360 has a HDD, so no developer can count on it to be there. Sure, some developers may take advantage of it if it's present, but realistically most developers will write the code assuming you DON'T have a HDD, thereby making the HDD simply a glorified storage device and bypassing all the caching and other improvements that the HDD gave in the original XBox. This holds especially true given the time crunch the developers already go through... not many will have the luxury of taking the time to write extra code to optimize the use of a HDD.

Just my two cents.

Kurto2022

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »

If DivX were supported by either PS3 or Xbox360 the sales would skyrocket.  I would have 2 or 3 units

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »

Ignoring the RRoD for so long has to be the single biggest mistake.
Had they acknowledged it from the start & said they were working on finding a resolve they would have saved a lot of face.

Personally both my 360s have been fine. (touch wood)

Slim

TreyTable

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

Man, choosing just one was too difficult, almost. Some, I don't understand why they're listed, like "No internal High-Def/Capacity Disc" and "Lack of a web browser". C'mon, lack of a web browser? Like that'd be great.. how many people remember how fun that was on the Dreamcast? Also, the 'no internal high capacity disc' ? Is that really a big issue? Yeah, like I'd wan a $600 XBOX 360.. High capacity doesn't magically make for great games.

I think the biggest problem with the XBOX 360 is with the XBOX 360 Core system. Every system should have a Hard Drive.

Or if that's too strict, let developers make games that require at least the 20GB HDD. I mean what is that seven GB for on my 20 GB HDD?

Ignoring the RRoD was bad, but they are working on that...  Besides, anybody who doesn't buy a two year warranty on a consumer electronics device that costs more than $300 is asking for trouble.

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

obviously these are personal issues and since i have not had any mechanical failure with my 360, then the lack of media support is hands down my biggest issue with the 360.  of course i understand the licensing issues with multiple codec support and do not blame MS at all.  but that is the reason that my numerous original xboxes networked throughout my home get way more use than my 360 ever will...at least until H3 is released in September...

hassan

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

how could anyone think that ms biggest mistake was ignoring the problem? the problem should never have happened in the first place. I'm talking about the rrod by the way

espionix

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

The biggest problem that affects me is the exclusives, i've not encountered any of the listed problems above.

I bought my 360 for GoW, now the PC appears to be getting what looks like a better version/update whatever, you didn't buy a Sega for Sonic, then see it released on the SNES, it just didn't happen.

Im an avid pc gamer, and if you look at games for the 360, and take away all the ones that are also available/will be available its pretty pathetic.

jude

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

Their biggest mistake was the HD .

l_oliveira

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »

They had the best console design ever made and managed to ruin it by asking board manufacturers to "be as  cheap as possible".

Ignoring RRoD at top of my list. It happened and should be fixed to avoid further damage to the product image.
RRoD as second, it should never happened, but happened.
Overpriced HDD and memory cards.

Not on the list, but I also have to mention that their commitment on regional lockdown enforcement for LIVE games is pretty lame. I don't blame them for blocking region download of movie and music contents but blocking the games and demos ? That's total bull sh*t.

Now they have to fix millions of units.  Even Moore resigned ... oh well ...

warlordship

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »

Since I haven't had a RROD yet (Elite on release day), I am not too saddened by it.  My vote has to be media playback, if I had to choose from the list.  XBMC is used 90% of the time for my xbox now, and not my emulators or other games.

I'm amazed that the lack of a hard drive as standard is not as much of an issue as it must be.  Without the drive, games must be designed with the lack in mind, and as others before me have already mentioned, no drive caching.

Easy fix.  I'd be willing to bet that most people have bought only premium systems, or have bought a HDD addon for their core, if they got it.  So developers?  Just make the game with the drive in mind.  Let's put this unpleasant-ness behind us by making core systems VERY unpopular, by requiring a hard drive for your game.  Those without drives will either upgrade to play your game, or not play it.  If I was developing games, I'd rather try to make HDD's standard than get 10% more sales...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6