xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Sixaxis Led Swap  (Read 1162 times)

ebphondaprelude

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

thx thx

i just noticed Nice faceplate on the 360, i really wish they came out with a case that the pattern continues to the sides.

How do you like the HD-DVD player. im not a big movie fan so i havnt got one yet. plus now i got blue-ray so i dont kno if its worth it. maybe a bit down the road when i can get em a lil cheaper

PDAIsAok

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

Thx, it was always my favorite faceplate out there for the 360 so I had to get it.  Im actually pretty impressed with the picture quality of HD-DVD.  Every movie I have has had a noticibly sharper picture causing me to notice things in some movies (like texture on Johnny Depps shirt in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) that never stood out with a DVD.  Im guessing it's because of the VC-1 codec used.  On the other hand I have some blu-rays that are less than impressive, notably Memento, don't waste your time with this transfer as it looks pretty much identical to the DVD in terms of picture quality.

mrcmax

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

did i mention that i hate you both for having an amazing collection of consoles...btw, i like the blue, ebphondaprelude. does the vision camera usually have lights, or did you add them?

PDAIsAok

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

Got bored and decided to put a green 3mm in another controller to see how it compared.  Not sure I like the color too much and its nowhere near as bright as the blue one.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/PDAisAok/DSC01195.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/PDAisAok/DSC01196.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/PDAisAok/DSC01197.jpg)

hyoo82

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

instructions!! instructions!!! soldering stuff is fun! but poking my finger with a hot iron isn't fun if there isn't a set of instructions to follow!!!!! with a desired result (this case, Blue LED controller)

ebphondaprelude

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »

thx thx

nice lookin, the 3mm looks better i might try one their later
Now you gotta do the top SMD leds to match ;-)

grim_d

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

yeah the green looks quite nice i think. good work.

PDAIsAok

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(hyoo82 @ Jan 3 2007, 05:24 PM) *

instructions!! instructions!!! soldering stuff is fun! but poking my finger with a hot iron isn't fun if there isn't a set of instructions to follow!!!!! with a desired result (this case, Blue LED controller)

parts needed:

PS3 controller
3mm LED (or 5mm if you want a really bright light, its a tight squeeze)
some wire
some solder
some patience

First you need to solder some short wires to the PCB board @ the "5" hole on the right side, and at the leg where the red wire plugs into the middle of the board.  you will then solder an led to these 2 wires, do this while the controller is on so you can make sure it works.  If you are using a 3mm or 5mm rather than the size eb used, you must melt or cut the black piece of plastic that is a cylinder under the PS button.  It is the cylinder that the clear rubber piece slides into.  This will allow the LED to sit in this cylinder directly under the PS button.  you will also have to cut the part of the clear rubber piece that goes down into this cylinder.  Leave enough to where it still sits in the rubber holster.  After this is all done you should be able to just close it up and be done.  BEFORE you put it all back together put the analog sticks back on the board and make sure they dont hit the wires to the LED (this happened to me and I had to make some adjustments.

QUOTE(ebphondaprelude @ Jan 3 2007, 05:32 PM) *

thx thx

nice lookin, the 3mm looks better i might try one their later
Now you gotta do the top SMD leds to match ;-)

Do you know of a good source for those smaller LEDs?  I couldnt find any in town where I am so I figure I'll have to order them online

This post has been edited by PDAIsAok: Jan 4 2007, 02:30 AM

entermymatrix03

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

Can you take some pics of the underside of the PCB? I'm not quite understanding what you are soldering to. So you just solder one wire, for the positive pole, to the red on that connector and then for the ground you solder to the "5" hole?

also, would THIS 1.8mm LED work? would i need to alter my controller in any way to make this fit?

awsome mod, thanks man!

PDAIsAok

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(entermymatrix03 @ Jan 3 2007, 09:17 PM) View Post

Can you take some pics of the underside of the PCB? I'm not quite understanding what you are soldering to. So you just solder one wire, for the positive pole, to the red on that connector and then for the ground you solder to the "5" hole?

also, would THIS 1.8mm LED work? would i need to alter my controller in any way to make this fit?

awsome mod, thanks man!

That LED looks to be 2.5v max and I believe you'll be getting 2.8 from this remote, so it may be too much for that LED, im not for sure on that though.  Id recommend going with a 3mm or using what eb originally posted with.  That is a great price though, I paid nearly $5 for a 5mm blue LED at Radio Shack.  Also you dont need to solder anything to the bottom of the pcb.  There are a few pads for ground but you can just solder it to that hole that is labeled 5.  Some of those other holes, or all of them, may be grounds I didnt test any of the other ones.  Just went with what eb did.

Hey eb, what size SMDs are those?  I see PLCC2, 1206, 0805, and 0603 available.  Are they very difficult to solder?  Ive never messed with LEDs like that

Laeq

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

whew! That took longer than expected. I burned myself on the damn soldering iron, too!

but I finally finished doing this, though I didn't change the color sad.gif
I couldn't find any surface mount LEDs (they aren't sold in my area).

I used a 3mm red LED, and it worked perfectly, albeit it's a bit dim, but it's fine. Pluse, with a little modification to that translucent column  under the PS button (i.e. cutting a small portion off), you can fit it right into the cylinder.

here's a pic (crappy, I know tongue.gif):
IPB Image

ebphondaprelude

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »

i used 0603 size leds

they are abuot the size of the letter E on the front of a dime

the wire that goes to the back goes to a PAD labeled GRD (ground) their are abuot 5 diffrent ones on the back to choose from.

Thx

<MikE>

QUOTE(PDAIsAok @ Jan 3 2007, 11:10 PM) *

That LED looks to be 2.5v max and I believe you'll be getting 2.8 from this remote, so it may be too much for that LED, im not for sure on that though. Id recommend going with a 3mm or using what eb originally posted with. That is a great price though, I paid nearly $5 for a 5mm blue LED at Radio Shack. Also you dont need to solder anything to the bottom of the pcb. There are a few pads for ground but you can just solder it to that hole that is labeled 5. Some of those other holes, or all of them, may be grounds I didnt test any of the other ones. Just went with what eb did.

Hey eb, what size SMDs are those? I see PLCC2, 1206, 0805, and 0603 available. Are they very difficult to solder? Ive never messed with LEDs like that

numba107

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »

well i followed the instructons n heres the outcome
(IMG:http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/draffpic07/GetAttachment.jpg)
this did take a while, i hate usin that iron thing

Fuel90

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

an someone make a tut with pictures step by step? Cause I haven't really done something like this before. Thanks.

entermymatrix

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

ok guys, i went to RadioShack tonight and grabbed 2 types of leds....

20 Assorted LED's The only thing is they don't tell you what is what inside the pack.

I also bought a 1.7 volt becuase the guy told me it would work but it has a 2.4v max....so i guess that one is out also. I just may take these back and order some from that site i posted up there...unless you guys think these may work.

What size guage wire are you guys using also and what do you put under the led to keep the contacts from touching the PCB? Never really worked with LED's, soldered a good bit and modded a few xbox's, but never messed with LED's....

a step by step with pics would be nice also! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks guys!

***edit*** - I'm also having a tough time finding 2.8v LED's. everything is between 2-2.6V max. can i still use those? Also, how does this fare against battery drain?

This post has been edited by entermymatrix: Jan 5 2007, 12:55 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8