xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: IFA 2007: Blu-ray Conference  (Read 132 times)

anonim1979

• Archived User
IFA 2007: Blu-ray Conference
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:06:00 AM »

BY HODO AT 08/30/07 01:41 PM
Uh, for those of you who think that the 66% market share number for the BDA is correct, maybe you can help me with the math . . . .

If BD players have 66% market share for stand alones . . .

AND if BD disc sales ALSO have 66% market share, then . . .

how many of the 2 million U.S. PS3 owners are buying movies?

Because my quick math would say . . . zero. And I just KNOW that can't be true, because I've been hearing for months know that PS3 owners are DEFINITELY using their PS3s to watch BD movies, right?

PS.
If somebody likes bullsh** numbers:
http://biz.gamedaily.../news/?id=17153

[UPDATE] SCEA's Dave Karraker, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, replied to us with results from a May survey of PS3 owners:

83% of all survey respondents watch movies occasionally or frequently on the PS3.

The average survey respondent owns 4.5 Blu-ray movies and 119 DVDs.

72% of respondents purchased at least 1 Blu-ray movie since acquiring a PS3.

87% of respondents intend to purchase at least one Blu-ray movie in the next 12 months; 62% intend to purchase at least one DVD.

NOW - did they made this survey using Sony CEOs as a sample?
Earlier independent surveys showed that less than 50% of PS3 owners knew that their console was HD and even less knew about Blu-ray....

wezlyons

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(anonim1979 @ Sep 1 2007, 11:42 AM) View Post

NICE numbers. Pity as always a little .. skewed...

BY HODO AT 08/30/07 01:41 PM
Uh, for those of you who think that the 66% market share number for the BDA is correct, maybe you can help me with the math . . . .

If BD players have 66% market share for stand alones . . .

AND if BD disc sales ALSO have 66% market share, then . . .

how many of the 2 million U.S. PS3 owners are buying movies?

Because my quick math would say . . . zero. And I just KNOW that can't be true, because I've been hearing for months know that PS3 owners are DEFINITELY using their PS3s to watch BD movies, right?

PS.

The quote in your post is a very simplistic way of looking at the numbers but a wholly inaccurate one, is the original poster (and yourself) suggesting that each Bluray player owner is only going to buy one movie?

Bluray disc sales will be a lot higher than Bluray player sales for the simple reason that people tend to buy a lot more discs than they do players, i own 3 dvd players but i own 200+ dvd discs.

The percentages between BD player sales and BD disc sales have no relevance to each other.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

I think this conference should be renamed to "Blu-Ray Slagging Of HD-DVD confrence".

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

Earlier independent surveys showed that less than 50% of PS3 owners knew that their console was HD and even less knew about Blu-ray....

Please supply a link.

abishai

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »

The report is based on online survey responses from 6,260 members of NPD's online consumer panel. These respondents, compromised of males and females ages 6 to 44, are qualified owners of at least one next generation system (PS3, PSP, Wii, NDS, Xbox 360). In addition, non-owners were captured in order to further probe on next generation system purchase intent and other areas. Fieldwork was conducted from April 4-10, 2007.

So not only were 6 year olds included but all you had to do was own a next gen console to be part of the survey. I have no idea what a PSP can do but that's understandable considering I don't own one.

As for HODO's post it was already proven wrong on gizmodo. As someone mentioned here it's a percentage of a number.

BY  SINISTARX  AT 08/30/07 02:42 PM

I'm going to use some made up numbers to illustrate.

If total hi-def hardware sales is, say, 600,000 units and BD has 66% of that, then BD has sold 330,000 units.

But when you move to movies, you're talking about a different market. You're now talking about total hi-def media sales alone. Let's say that 1,000,000 hi-def discs have been sold. That would equate to 660,000 BD discs, which is more than my fictional 330,000 BD players.

While both hi-def, they are two different markets (one is media, one is hardware), so their percentages are not directly comparable.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(anonim1979 @ Sep 1 2007, 10:10 PM) View Post

Sorry I don't believe any of it.

The report is based on online survey responses from 6,260 members of NPD's online consumer panel.These respondents, compromised of males and females ages 6 to 44

This needs a more widespread poll involving large numbers and 6 year old kids??? Do me a favour.
 Anyone that pays out money for a PS3 or 360 and does not understand what it does or is capable of are not correctly considering what they are buying.
 Still it suited your purpose to take a pot shot at the PS3. You forgot to include the figures for the 360 owners who were aware the machine had HD, which were also stated.
I won't bother reproducing any of it, as it is not accurate.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

Oh! I know - I HAVE to mix other consoles so your fanboy vendeta would have fuel!

Gives a balanced viewpoint.
The rest of your swearing and rambling...... Go pay some attention to more surveys which ask 6 year olds to take part.
 Looking at the quote in your post
Your definition of independend survey is marvelous - send CV to "All I want for Christmas is PSP" group - they hiring again I heard.

It would seem to me you are a good candidate for the next survey.  sleeping.gif  sleeping.gif

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 04:32:00 AM »

I realize I have have misinterpreted the results so I'm going to take another shot at this since the editing capability seems to be disabled.

This has nothing to do with lying or falsification, it has to do with reading the details of the way in which the survey was conducted and concluding that perhaps the survey isn't so reliable. If those details were omitted then maybe your obfuscated claim would be accurate. Making sarcastic remarks that ignore valid arguments others have made does not make it any more credible.

It would be nice to have more detail such as how many of the 6,260 members own a PS3 and within that group what the age distribution is. It would also be useful to know how the questions were phrased. I just find it hard to believe that so many people investing so much money in a console would do so little research into its capabilities. The Xbox 360 numbers are even more surprising -- only 30% knew it was HD capable.