xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: My 240sx Search and Build up  (Read 1489 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
My 240sx Search and Build up
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

The hunt is on!

I sold my WRX last December, after paying it off I made $4K, the money I've been able to save a few more grand since then (mostly due to not having a car payment).

Now that the warm weather is here I'm itching to get out of my pickup and into something sporty.

I've decided 100% without a doubt that I want a MY95-98 240sx

It needs to be a stick shift
It needs to be in good shape drivable/inspectable/no rust/no mechanical problems/etc.

I live in NH but willing to go to neighboring states: VT, ME, MA

I'm looking to spend about 4-5K on the car... the only way I would consider an Automatic is if it was 100% flawless and a good price, then I'd at least consider it for a transmission swap.

I plan on building a Silvia 14.5... S14 rear end S15 front end and S15 engine, I've already done my research I know everything involved, I know who I'm going to buy the parts from, I've got the cash I need for the first part of the conversion (engine swap) and I've talked to people who've done the conversion already and willing to lend me a hand if I get stuck. Though I'm doing an engine swap I want the car to be in good mechanical shape before the swap to help ensure that everything is in working order before hand. I want to upgrade the car not repair a basket-case.

All I need now is the car. I've been searching autotrader, uncle henry's, and craigs list daily.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I've found the best deals are usually the ones sitting on the side of the road with no other advertising. So if anyone here lives in the New England area and knows of a nice 240sx for sale.. PLEASE let me know beerchug.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

uncle henrys?
nevermind, it was already in your post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If I see anything Ill let you know.

This post has been edited by Rylinkus: Apr 3 2007, 10:48 PM

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »

Damn....
If you're in need of an S13 project car (1989 240SX coupe) with Automatic tranny (that needs repair) let me know.  wink.gif
I spent thousands of dollars on it and even replaced the engine, but gave up after the tranny sprung a leak.   sad.gif
My mechanic wanted it so he can convert to Manual tansmission and race it, but he never gave me the cash ($500).
I'm considering trading it to him for new motor mounts and timing belt for my 92 Talon.
IPB Image
Probably not worth it after shipping costs, but you never know.
I'm in Cali so it would be a cross-country delivery (or a cross-country drive).
The engine would make the trip (35,000 miles), but the tranny won't (211,000 miles and a major leak).

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

@Ry: Thanks smile.gif

@Alex:
It'd be about $1100 to ship here. I know because one of my friends just moved to SanDiago and had his Mazda 3 shipped out  smile.gif

Though I guarantee it's in WAY better shape then most of the S13s around here, Winter driving is hell on the body/frame of a car.

Most of the S13s I see advertised are:

$1500, floorboards rusted out, broken shock mounts due to rust, wont pass inspection, perfect for a drift conversion
 rolleyes.gif

what engine do you have in your car; or did you just put another KA24DE in it?

If I were to go S13 it would have to be a 91-94 because the 89-90s are slightly different making the engine swap more difficult/expensive. I'd probably go for an S13 ragtop tough, since they're so friggin rare

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

It was just a japanese take-out KA24DE. The original engine threw a rod at 209,000 and I had it replaced.
I've also replaced the rear differential, all rotors, pads, tires, A/C control unit in the dash, both Power window motors/regulators (driver and passenger), and a bunch of miscellaneous crap. It doesn't have rust that I know of since it never snows around here.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's equipped with HUD (Heads up display), but the windshield has a crack. It didn't have a crack in September 06, but since it's been sitting at my mechanic's shop it magically appeared. The dashboard is also cracking all over the place from the effects of the weather. After replacing the engine, it passed California's very strict emmision testing, but after the tranny sprung a leak I gave up on the car and eventually planned non-op'ed it when renewal time came around (August 06).

In it's condition and considering the shipping costs, it's definitely not worth your time to get this thing shipped over to you since you can probably find them in good running condition for about the same amount of cash you'd spend on this one. . .  unless you had money to burn and felt motivated to play with a project car.

This post has been edited by Alex548: Apr 4 2007, 12:04 AM

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

240's are a dime a dozen here and very cheap... too far away though

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 3 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post

looks nice but I'm looking for a 95 or newer model (different body style)

QUOTE(yaazz @ Apr 3 2007, 08:47 PM) View Post

240's are a dime a dozen here and very cheap... too far away though

Where exactly is "here"

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 4 2007, 12:43 PM) View Post

looks nice but I'm looking for a 95 or newer model (different body style)
Where exactly is "here"

Gotcha. I've seen one for sale recently. Not sure exactly where though. Ill keep my eyes open, but it's always hard to find a specific car like that. It may be elusive prey.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »

I realize it will be difficult, but I know I've seen some cherry examples at good prices pop up in the past so I'm willing to wait as long as I have to for the next one to pop up  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

when it's something you don't _NEED_ you can afford to take your time looking.

I've seen two so-so ones come up recently

a Silver 95 in keen NH with a crappy half-finished body kit and leaky oil pan (165K miles too)
and a blue/purple 95 in Mass that looks really clean but has a nasty crack in the dashboard... the guy responded to a WTB and sent me pics but it's it's been a week and he hasn't returned my email with some questions like: how many miles? how much? how does it run?... from the pics it looks decent though.

I'm really pissed I didn't start earlier though... two really low mileage, low price, nearly flawless 95 240s went just 2 weeks before I started looking... I saw the posts on 240sxone.com (240 Owners of New England).

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Apr 4 2007, 09:00 PM

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 06:18:00 AM »

Anyone know of a towing service that would reasonably ship a car from VT to NH (about 150miles).

I found a nice looking clean 240 in VT, mid swap with an S14 SR20det blacktop. really clean body the swap needs the harness done and the intercooler installed (missing hoses but it's a brand new  aftermarket intercooler).

it's an S13 but for the price it's worth buying just for the motor+intercooler.

I just have no idea where to look to have the thing transported, most towing companies around me wont go that far and most car transport services want specific pickup and dropp-off locations  dry.gif

Do they rent tow trucks by the day?

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »

Uhaul would run you around $400 if you used their trucks, or about $75 to tow it with yours.

You should be able to get an exact price on their website.

This post has been edited by gainpresence: Apr 5 2007, 04:09 PM

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(gainpresence @ Apr 5 2007, 11:16 AM) View Post

Uhaul would run you around $400 if you used their trucks, or about $75 to tow it with yours.

You should be able to get an exact price on their website.

oooh... I hadn't even thought of those light car trailers...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

OPINIONS?

CAR #1
Vermont: 91 S13 with a S14 SR20DET motor and a Greddy FMIC doesn't run because the wiring harness still needs to be converted and the intercooler needs to be hooked up Also I'd need to rent something to get it hope and finish it up. $3500 though it's not the body style I want I figure it might be worth it just for the motor and FMIC.

(IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_31_05_front.jpg) (IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_31_16_engine.jpg) (IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_36_03_FMIC.jpg)

CAR #2
Mass: 95 S14 bone stock 151K miles imported from Georga by a 240 collector (the guy has 5 of em and a few skylines too) so the body/frame are clean, only problem is a cracked dash but I figure I could probably find a junkyard donor for that. $3K and I can drive it home.

(IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_42_10_Front_driver_s.jpg) (IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_42_53_front_passenger_s.jpg) (IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_44_13_IP_s.jpg) (IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_05/20_44_33_dash_s.jpg)

Anyone have advice on things to check for/look out for when buying a used car car? I've only ever bought 1 used car before (my Toyota pickup) and I had a mechanic friend with me... this time I wont have him to tag along.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »

Uncle Henrys comes out today and youre not talking about this gem?

http://www.unclehenr.....N#-2136516114

I like the SR20det blacktop myself. But thats personal preference I suppose. I actually like that body style too, so that may be part of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15