xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mods Illegal?  (Read 85 times)

J.P. Patches

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »

I'm going to probably see my lawyer tomorrow.  I'm going to ask him what he knows about this then.

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

Its a VERY grey area, no doubt about it, BUT what you have to understand, is in the US, $ talks.. you think you, one person, will win in a court case when M$ and the Feds are their with CC records, IRC Chat logs, forum print outs, etc.. I know, very very extreme and unlikely case.. but still in the realm of possibility... come on, I NEVER thought I would be getting sued by DTV, but looks to be that way.. all for buying ONE ISOProgrammer back in '97. This wasnt an unlooper, did NOT have any special Atmel flashed on it, NOTHING, just standard ISOProgrammer that has 1000 uses.. unfortunately, I bought it from a DTV hacking site...

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »

like i said i have a mod in my xbox...how many games have i ran copied or had copied, 0...ise it for viewing pictures using XBMP watching home movies VCD...running homebre (legal) games...

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (Joebuckton @ Apr 16 2003, 11:13 AM)
like i said i have a mod in my xbox...how many games have i ran copied or had copied, 0...ise it for viewing pictures using XBMP watching home movies VCD...running homebre (legal) games...

All outside of M$ intentions of the Xbox is it not? Case closed...

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »

why would that matter...it is mine...i am not braking copywrite laws

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »

Your correct, your NOT breaking copywrite laws, your breaking the DMCA... there is no such thing as running a "legal" homebrew game.. that still requires you to break MS security just to play it does it not?

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 11:25:00 AM »

OK...say you baught a can of coke, you used it as a table leg..could coke sue you for not using it as what it was intended to be used as?

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »

Does a can of coke or a table fall under the DMCA.. NO..

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2003, 11:29:00 AM »

You can do whatever you wish to your XBox AS LONG as it doesnt involve circumventing its security..

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

So the law is you cannot change an machine to break copywrite laws....i am not

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

No, the law is you can not circumvent any security feature set in place to protect a company's products.. Why dont you understand that part? It's really as simple as you have a lock on your front door, someone picks the lock and opens the door.. did he break the law? Yes, even though he never stole anything, or for that matter, didn't even have to enter the house, simply picking the lock is enough...

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

hmmm..cos i dont know much on this subject i will take your word for it....but i am still unsure

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »

Its all new, well, withing the last 5 years or so.. and has not really been tested in courts.. but doesn't take a genious to know who would win in a Civil court case if MS was to summons you because they have CC records of you buying a modchip.. in Civil court, its NOT beyond a reasonable doubt, that is only Criminal courts.. Its ONLY about intentions!! The gun matter would be a criminal suit....

Joebuckton

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »

but i dont tave the intention to use a copied game

Ace25

• Archived User
Mods Illegal?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

You ALREADY admitted to doing something illegal, you play homebrew games, which requires you to put on an ILLEGAL bios does it not? Hmph...
Pages: 1 [2] 3