xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "fixing" A Softmod  (Read 131 times)

worldwhore3

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

one of my softmodded systems is "broken", here's the situation...

the system works just fine, however when i start up with the reset button, the system crashes with a stock MS numbered error (cant recall off hand)

i am wondering if i can just do my softmod over again, without losing all of the data on the drive?  it's a 180Gb drive, so i don't want to lose my data ~  i am thinking i should be able to just fine without a format, but thought i'd check here first.

Heimdall

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »

Yes - so long as you only replace files on the C and E partitions. smile.gif

spliff721

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

Get HeXEn use it to update and redoo the mod. It should only affest your C and E. Then get krayzies extras and use it to install a dual boot and to change the dash. I should mention that you want to use HeXEn and use the option to install a krayzies ndure 1.1.1. If you used XBOXHDM and ndure 3.1. I have had issues with the dual boot throwing an error 21.

Heimdall

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

HeXEn installs Krayzie Extras for you, and has options to change the dash. smile.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

My question is: why using the reset button (reboot?) should crash a system which otherwise "works just fine"?

I'm surprised at the lack of inquisition in the responses because the nature of the problem isn't clear (to me) from the description provided.

I realise the idea is just to fix things so they do work and maybe worldwhore3 doesn't care and just wants to get his system up and running properly again. But when something like this happens I, for one, like to try to understand why it happened and if it could be sorted out by other means.

worldwhore3

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »

well, really i just want to have it worked out poperly.  the means to boot into an MS dash with reset/eject is good if i decide i want to rip cd's for playing in games like san andreas.

the system doesn't crash when it's on and running, BUT, when i start it/turn it on/boot it via reset/eject it crashes  (error 21 if i'm not mistaken), something likely was misconfigured when i initially did a krayzie softmod on it way back.

spliff721

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

leave it to the fallen angel to ask the big questions. lol

i do not know the cause of this issue, but i believe that i read in the XBOXHDM 2.2 forum that there is for some a known issue with the NDURE 3.1 throwing an error 21 when booting using the eject button. i have accualy run into this problem myself, although only once and i simply used HeXEn to fix the problem in the manner i mentioned above. if i had to guess, id say its a kernel issue with one or two spacific kernels, thats why i prefer Krayzies 1.1.1

@ Heimdall, i do infact like HeXEn for the dashboard switch because it uses the shortcut and points it at XBMC in the apps, much cleaner and nice when it comes to updating. you should have made an option for dual boot instalation also, would make krayzies xtras somewhat uneeded.  biggrin.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

I like to ask big questions because, when I can actually understand the answer, it means I might have learned something new and useful.  Yay to knowledge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Back on topic: worldwhore3's description seems to mean that when using the dual boot tray out option the Xbox crashes to Error 21.

However the description also suggests the MS dash does boot correctly from the main dash. But does this just mean the MS dash main menu option works? What happens when clicking on Reboot and then pressing eject so that it reboots with tray open? Same Error 21?  

My point is that If it's only happening with the tray out then spliff721's suggestion of some sort of inherent software problem is as likely as any ie. the dual boot is broken in some way. A clean re-install would be the easiest solution.  

Otherwise though couldn't the problem just be with the MS dash .xbe? That's the first thing I'd check. Maybe it's not there, been renamed or the path is pointing to the wrong location?

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Mar 15 2011, 04:12 PM

worldwhore3

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »

there is no way for me to boot into a stock ms dash.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »

I'm still not sure any of us here trying to help still fully understand the problem.

We don't know for sure if the existing "works just fine" system actually is a dual boot one and, even if it is, what the tray out option was configured to boot ie. MS dash or installer dash.

If the last post means there is no MS dash .xbe on any drive that would surely explain the Error 21 on tray out if the existing system is actually dual boot. A similar result too if it was configured to boot an installer dash instead and those files were also missing.

That is moot and I'd be interested in what our experts think. However the best thing to do now, and what I always seem to be saying: is follow Heimdall's (and Spliff721's) good advice - use Hexen, install UnleashX cleanly and hope it resolves the "reset" problem.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Mar 16 2011, 02:53 PM

worldwhore3

• Archived User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

angle, what is this "we" talk and "our experts" talk?

the question has been answered:  i will be able to redo the softmod without formatting my drive.  something i was aware of but just wanted a double check.

scenario, one more time, just for you:
boot xbox w/power button,

xbox boots fine, opens into xbmc

boot xbox with eject button,

xbox throws error code,

thats it.  thats all.  when you softmod the system you do not lose the error codes.  

i already planned on redoing the mod as noted by others.

as i also stated, i am sure it is "broken" because of a misconfiguration when i initially modded the box with krayzies back in the day.  do i remember what i used for configuration settings?  no.  in my higher experience i will correct it. smile.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
"fixing" A Softmod
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 07:30:00 AM »

By "we" I just meant in general terms those who responded to your OP and anyone else who might be reading it. The experts here are those members, two of whom replied, who's advice is always worth heeding but who also might be able to shed further light on the matter.

I know your question was simple; they answered it and I completely understand that's all you wanted to know. However I was also interested in the problem itself not just the solution. That's the reason I wanted clarification.

In short, you're getting an Error Message (21?) but only when booting using the eject button.  

Right from the start it just sounded to me as if it had been configured originally to dual boot but it is now broken in some way. If that is the case it could be relevant to anybody using a dual boot system.

Hearing now that you have XBMC as your main dash raises another question for me, only peripherally related to your problem but the answer maybe useful:-

Is there a way to set the Xbox up to boot to the MS dash directly from XBMC in the same way you can from UnleashX or EvoX?

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Yesterday, 03:36 PM