xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XNA Game Studio Express FAQ - More Details About Indie Dev. on Xbox360  (Read 613 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

XNA Game Studio Express FAQ - More Details About Indie Dev. on Xbox360
Posted by XanTium | August 14 12:04 EST

There are many questions left unanswered after the announcement from Microsoft to release XNA Game Studio Express for free and allow to build indie games for the Xbox 360.
Below are the most interesting parts from the official "Microsoft XNA Frequently Asked Questions", that should clear up a few things:

Q: Can I use the XNA Game Studio Express or XNA Framework to build a commercial Xbox 360 game?
A: XNA Game Studio Express will enable you to create Windows and now Xbox 360 console games much more easily. These games are limited to non-commercial scenarios for 360 titles created with XNA Game Studio Express. However, XNA Game Studio Express may be used to create commercial games which target Windows. We will be releasing XNA Game Studio Professional next spring which will allow developers to create commercial games for Xbox addition to Windows.

Q: Isn't managed code in the XNA Framework interpreted and therefore slow?
A: No, it is not interpreted. The IL is just-in-time (JIT) compiled into native code when it is initially loaded by a process, prior to execution. This allows hardware-specific optimizations unique to the PC and Xbox 360 architectures.

Q: Why isn't there any Xbox 360 support in the beta?
A: Microsoft does not release beta software on the Xbox 360 for security reasons. Thanks to the design and implementation of the XNA Framework on both Windows and Xbox 360 however, games developed using the XNA Game Studio Express beta starting August 30th will be easily adapted to run against the Xbox 360 retail console upon availability of the finished tools later this holiday.

Q: How exactly can I share my 360 game to other 360 users? Will my game only be available to people with the XNA "Creators Club" subscription? Will it be available to all 360 users that have an Xbox Live account?
A: There is currently no supported way to share binaries on the Xbox 360. Currently, there are four requirements that must be met in order to share a game targeting Xbox 360 which is developed with XNA Game Studio Express.
   1. The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
   2. The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
   3. The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
   4. The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

Q: Can I store my XNA Game Studio Express game on my memory card and share it with a friend?
A: No. Games developed using XNA Game Studio Express cannot be shared through a memory card at this time.

Q: Do I need a hard drive to run XNA-based games on my Xbox 360 console?
A: Yes. The XNA Framework runtime environment for Xbox 360 requires that a physical hard drive be present on your Xbox 360 retail console.  

Q: Can I create non-gaming applications (such as a Media Center/Player) with XNA Game Studio Express?
A: On Windows this is possible, but the initial release on Xbox 360 is tuned to writing games. This is an area we are actively looking to the community for feedback on the types of applications they want to write for their Xbox 360.  

Q: Does the XNA Framework include the ability to use Xbox Live?
A: The initial release of the XNA Framework on the Xbox 360 will not have any support for networking. We realize this is a big area of interest for game developers and are actively working on a solution for the next release.

Q: How can you debug XNA-based games running on the Xbox 360?
A: Debugging on the console is supported through a remote debugging connection from a Windows desktop running XNA Game Studio Express.

Q: How will the XNA Framework be available to developers?
A: The XNA Framework will be made available to Windows game developers via a free download. In order to develop for the 360, developers will need to join the XNA "Creators Club" which includes everything a developer needs to build non-commercial games for an Xbox 360 retail console.

Q: How exactly will I be able to run a game built with XNA Game Studio Express on my Xbox 360?
A: On Windows, you'll be able to develop, test and distribute software created with XNA Game Studio Express for free. When you sign up for the nominally priced annual subscription to XNA Game Studio Express for Xbox 360, you'll be able to write a game on Windows, then send it to your Xbox 360 to test and enjoy. Eventually, you'll be able to distribute that code to other Xbox 360s, opening up a unique publishing avenue which will democratize game development on consoles.
Read all the Q&A: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/faq/

A bit more details about how it will actually run on a retail Xbox360 was posted over at quartertothree.com:

The beta released at the end of the month will be just on the PC. The release version (at the end of the year) will let anyone with a "creator's club" membership ($99 per year) create builds on their PC to run on their Xbox 360. You'll basically take your Xbox 360 on the same local network as your PC, set it to listen for a code dump from your PC running the Game Studio Express, and then on your PC you hit the 'ol "compile and run on 360" thing. Very similar to the actual pro development environment, only it works on retail 360s (on the same local network, provided you have a creator's club membership activated on that console).

You can share your games to anyone else in the creator's club. Just send the XNA project to them in email, on a memory key, put it up on your site for download, whatever. They load it up on their PC in their copy of XNA Game Studio Express, and send it to their Xbox.

The goal is that, in the future, they'll have a channel for people who are not members of the creator's club to download and play the homebrew games. Like, there's Live Aracade, and there will be Creator's Arcade or some such. Anyone in the creator's club would theoretically be able to submit to Creator's Arcade and MS would examine it to make sure it's not really a pirate game or won't harm your Xbox, then they put it up for everyone to download and check out. That aspect of it is a little further out (think next year) and they're still working on details like ownership and copyright, how they'll examine submissions for safety, etc.

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »

Seems like a lot of room for exploits... will be interesting to see the amount of security they put into this, etc, or if the 360 runs in a different "mode".

santium

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

Basically, you'll be building dev xexs. (Similar to dev XBEs) The XNA Framework on the 360 harddrive will allow the xex to be ran. The framework will determine what can and cannot be done. So if you were to program something to open the network port on a hardware level, I'm sure the framework will deny it since they said network support doesn't exist.

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »

XNA Sounds like pure crap, only way this will be usefull is if its exploitable in some way.......

bcforn64

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »

Love everyone's Optimism, am I the only one who caught this?:

Q: Can I create non-gaming applications (such as a Media Center/Player) with XNA Game Studio Express?
A: On Windows this is possible, but the initial release on Xbox 360 is tuned to writing games. This is an area we are actively looking to the community for feedback on the types of applications they want to write for their Xbox 360.

An official, maybe $20 version of Xbox Media Center in the market place would kick ass. With enough demand, maybe MS will bow to the mod scene and take care of the legalities of licensing.

juan_2006

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »

Dang i really hope we can make applications for the 360......make xbmc360....other nice little utilities....

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

Too bad it isn't trully free.  What's the crap about requiring a subscription fee.  I don't pay to play online on Live and I'm not going to pay them to develop home brewed software on the 360 either.   I wouldn't mind tinkering with a couple basic games and compiling them to see how it all works on the console.  I'm familiar with building apps and some basic games on the PC, but was curious how it was done for consoles.

Too bad MicroShaft is deciding to make this a pay for play scenario.   I don't mind paying to have access to their proprietary demos and examples, but if I want to use someone else's examples on the web instead I should be able to do that for free.

If they really want the small guys to be able to do this they need to open it up or stay at home.

chedabob

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

i think this is great news. i cant program, but ill deffo be paying for subscription. itll give me the boost i need, cos ive heard the XNA framework is much easier to use than other things. its deffo good for indy developers, and people looking to start.

lets just hope the application section doesnt take too long to get running. id love an FTP server, so i can access the HDD to put saves on, without having to fork out for a Sata adaptor.

jsrlepage

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(quarky42 @ Aug 14 2006, 06:30 PM) View Post

Too bad it isn't trully free.  What's the crap about requiring a subscription fee.  I don't pay to play online on Live and I'm not going to pay them to develop home brewed software on the 360 either.   I wouldn't mind tinkering with a couple basic games and compiling them to see how it all works on the console.  I'm familiar with building apps and some basic games on the PC, but was curious how it was done for consoles.

Too bad MicroShaft is deciding to make this a pay for play scenario.   I don't mind paying to have access to their proprietary demos and examples, but if I want to use someone else's examples on the web instead I should be able to do that for free.

If they really want the small guys to be able to do this they need to open it up or stay at home.

You may be forgetting that MS is providing additional tools with the subscription, as well as minimal support and access to a "X360 Enthusiast Developers Corner". And don't forget the planned "Indies' Corner" on XboxLive360. The lone fact that we'll be able to get the maybe-to-exist Xbox360 Media Center straight from XboxLive360 is worth it.

Dude. They're selling the console at a big LOSS. Maybe up to 200$ USD of loss. Maybe even fucking more. Where was the last time you saw a tri-core PowerMac G5 with 20gb and 512mb of RAM and a X1800 (or some'n like that) for 400$ USD? No wonder they want to profit from their investment.

Not all is free as in beer, sometimes you have to pay your beer because the free one tastes like goat piss...

chedabob

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

^^

i hear ya. i dont think $99 is too much a price for enhancing the console.

so say it takes two years for them to let you distribute binaries to non-devs. so what? thats $198 + $400 for your machine. i challenge you to find a better deal for a media box.

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Aug 14 2006, 05:11 PM) View Post

Aw shucks!  I think the #1 thing everyone is gonna want is an XBMC360.  As usual M$ doesn't listen to what people actually want.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

if xbmc is possible through this I will pay!

@bonevichio

read the whole thing properly...xbmc360 is possible just not in "initial" version

This post has been edited by incognegro: Aug 14 2006, 07:32 PM

Walshicus

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

Best news for the console so far! Nice!

Am I correct in interpreting that Q&A as saying that at some point people who DON'T pay the XNA subscription fee will still be able to download homebrew games that pass MS quality assurance?

jsrlepage

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Walshicus @ Aug 14 2006, 07:44 PM) View Post

Best news for the console so far! Nice!

Am I correct in interpreting that Q&A as saying that at some point people who DON'T pay the XNA subscription fee will still be able to download homebrew games that pass MS quality assurance?

"far" later (as in 6mo to 1y) but technically, it's "in the plans" to have an "Enthusiasts' Corner"

jsrlepage

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

This just in: It's C#-ONLY...

FUC^^^NO CARRIER
Pages: [1] 2