xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help Me Create A Jtag Wiring Shopping List  (Read 116 times)

-duran-

• Archived User
Help Me Create A Jtag Wiring Shopping List
« on: February 02, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »

Well I have a mastercraft 20-40 watt solder station and that is it.

So could someone post a complete n00b wiring guide and tell me everything I will need to buy (solder type, flux, de-solder braid, resistors, wires, etc.)? Or aren't there some kits that don't require soldering on the xbox motherboard?

Anyways, I plan on practicing my soldering on a dead mobo before i touch the xbox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(-duran- @ Jan 25 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Well I have a mastercraft 20-40 watt solder station and that is it.

So could someone post a complete n00b wiring guide and tell me everything I will need to buy (solder type, flux, de-solder braid, resistors, wires, etc.)? Or aren't there some kits that don't require soldering on the xbox motherboard?

Anyways, I plan on practicing my soldering on a dead mobo before i touch the xbox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks.

Go to radio shack or a store like it,

Pick up a Male lpt connector (pick up 2 just in case 3$ each or so)
Pick up a roll of .30 gauge wire
pick up the resistors and diodes needed per tutorial you are going by.
pick up a roll of Rosin-Core solder (.032 diameter)
Pick up some flux
Pick up a roll of de-soldering braid

This is a good way to make your own 7 pin lpt connector by buying those lpt connectors, then you do not need to mess with cutting a lpt cable and hoping it works.

You should also have a multimeter handy (not needed more than likely unless you are cutting a lpt cable to do the wiring)  its just good to have.

Here is a link showing how I wire up the lpt connector..
Link to Making own lpt cable

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:01:00 PM »

Also be sure to get single stranded wire. The multi-stranded can make a mess and be hard to tell once they are all soldered up if there are any bridges or not. 24 gauge should be good to use if you can't find any 30 gauge wire at your radioshack(I couldn't) and thats what I ended up using.

I think I got the black and white speaker wire for my jtaging. You can tell because the black and the white wire should be held together by a plastic bond which will be easy to separate with a scissor and a steady hand.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Jan 25 2011, 08:01 PM) *

Also be sure to get single stranded wire. The multi-stranded can make a mess and be hard to tell once they are all soldered up if there are any bridges or not. 24 gauge should be good to use if you can't find any 30 gauge wire at your radioshack(I couldn't) and thats what I ended up using.

I think I got the black and white speaker wire for my jtaging. You can tell because the black and the white wire should be held together by a plastic bond which will be easy to separate with a scissor and a steady hand.

good point about the stranded wire... do NOT use it.   I was going to say that but thought they did not make .30g in stranded (what do I know)  and my radio shacks have like 4 different color rolls of it lol I mean they are like over stocked on it, thought they all were  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)   (I like radio shack but I also hate it)  

Also a 15watt soldering iron is probably best when starting  out  on soldering, it gives more room for beginners, you do not want to add too much heat to the areas too long.  If you get like a 30 watt it will heat the area twice as fast which means you also need to be twice as fast soldering (hope that makes sense)

As you solder more and more, you will also realize spending the "extra" money on a GOOD soldering iron (and tips) helps a LOT.  The cheap radio shack ones for like 15-20$ or whatever will work for a bit, then they will basically wear out.  But they work good for the price and learning, until you get used to it.

-duran-

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »

Thanks a lot, very helpful so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Which guide should I use with that wiring guide posted in this thread?
this one seems good:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700442
but is it considered out of date?

Also, when is flux used/how should I use it? (like I said I'm a soldering n00b)

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(-duran- @ Jan 25 2011, 09:36 PM) *

Thanks a lot, very helpful so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Which guide should I use with that wiring guide posted in this thread?
this one seems good:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700442
but is it considered out of date?

Also, when is flux used/how should I use it? (like I said I'm a soldering n00b)

That link is fine as long as you do not have a xenon motherboard.

Rosin flux is put down on the area you are going to solder so that the solder sticks to it.  Solder sticks or flows where there is flux.  So put a small amount of flux on the point on the motherboard then solder connection and it will make things easier.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:12:00 AM »

I want to point out that flux doesn't act as an attracting agent, but rather as a cleaning and protective agent. When it's heated it removes oxidation from the surfaces and helps prevent the oxidation from reoccurring. As solder doesn't stick well to oxides, when the flux removes these oxides it helps the solder to bond to the metal more easily.

Madhatta

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »

I would suggest some tip cleaner or steel wool for keeping the tip clean. If you haven't soldered before you are likely to get solder all over the tip. You want to keep that thing clean. You can buy those super small extra tips for 15 w soldering irons too for less than 3 bucks I think. Definitely don't get more than a 15 watt soldering iron. I have been doing soldering stuff for awhile (still no expert though) and for an xbox 360 there is no need for anything more. I bought a 15-30 w from radio shack so I would have the high heat if I need it but I never use it. It was a dollar more. 10.99 I think.

But like the others said ... flux, single strand wire, desoldering braid and some solder.

This post has been edited by Madhatta: Jan 26 2011, 06:47 PM