xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Intercooler's Cruel Irony  (Read 495 times)

pcrat

• Archived User
Intercooler's Cruel Irony
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »

just place your 360 infront of your airconditioner  biggrin.gif PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I belive more on m$ talking about drawing power deal, microsoft didnt create any extra power to supply 3rd party  hardware.  

keep your system in an open cool area, heel place a mini desk fan behind it.

I shouldnt talk too much tho i have mine in my entertainment center next to my t, ive had it over 6 months now and nothing not even a glitch yet.  
but we are rearanging the living room soon so yes it will be moved in the open.

hell take the case off and place a fan next to it biggrin.gif

Later

gamemaster14

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

Hah. Fortunately I didn't buy one of those.

The PS3 does have one thing going for it over the 360 - an apparently superior cooling system.

I think it is funny how people claim the ps3 has better everything even before anyone (except japanese) have one yet. I have a feeling the system will have its share of problems. Both the ps2 and ps1 had plenty of them.

Reezum

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(kn0bby @ Nov 12 2006, 09:44 PM) View Post

Anyone else had this problem, ive just ordered three of these things off ebay for myself and friends.

knobby..

I have had the exact same problems and posted my images on www.360gamesaves.com. I actually thought this guy had stolen my pics when I saw this artical but I'll leave a link to the forums I posted mine on at the bottom of this post.

I emailed Nyko and got no response from them - I would NOT recommend getting an inter cooler. Mine melted into the PSU and I had to snap it off! Luckily the shop replaced my 360 but Nyko were no help at all!!
BEWARE

link: http://360gamesaves....h...971&hl=Nyko

I'll Upload my pics onto this forum if you cant access them via the link

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

But can some smart person design a DIY USB alternative for the intercooler, so I can run those fans off of the USB port?

USB is only 5v. You can't get much airflow with that.

The best solution is to just take an ac adaptor that is 9-12v and splice it in, get rid of the stupid connector to the 360 altogether. Or do what I did, just make your own cooler... Who cares if it looks sexy, it just needs to cool the damn thing.

EDIT: Also, anyone that says "the 360 doesnt' need to be cooled more" needs a lesson in electronics. The #1 cause of failure in electronic devices is heat. In some way or another heat almost always destroys electronics, especially over time. If you can keep your 360 a few degrees cooler, WHY NOT.

Dr Donkey Kong

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Class Action Lawsuit is in order then,
damages: xbox 360 damage [replacement]
intercooler [replacement]
hazard to family and friends [$$$$$$$]

Good Luck!

Flubster

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

The cooler king (The one with the video sockets on as well) looks like its powered from the USB sockets (Both of them on the rear) Once a few reviews come out looks like this might be the best solution.

Flubster

DoTsTeR

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Puma81 @ Nov 13 2006, 07:36 AM) View Post

How are you supposed to not turn on the intercooler when you power on the 360. It has no on/off switch as it uses the 360's power source directly. I dont know what manual you were reading.

Umm NO.. mine has a toggle switch for it beinh on or off.. ya the 360 powers it but it still has a switch

I'd also like to say that thing NEVER gave me a problem.. and it made oblivion stop locking up on me
(and my xbox is out in the open and the air temp in my place is always 68-70)

Your mostly only going here people that had problems on internet forums complain about the intercooler

I have no doubt for some people it fucks up.. but I guarantee for 90% of the people it is fine.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(DoTsTeR @ Nov 13 2006, 03:14 PM) View Post

Umm NO.. mine has a toggle switch for it beinh on or off.. ya the 360 powers it but it still has a switch

I'd also like to say that thing NEVER gave me a problem.. and it made oblivion stop locking up on me
(and my xbox is out in the open and the air temp in my place is always 68-70)

Your mostly only going here people that had problems on internet forums complain about the intercooler

I have no doubt for some people it fucks up.. but I guarantee for 90% of the people it is fine.

Well, that's how most forums operate.  People looking for solutions/information to a problem or just wanting a place to bitch.

linnx88

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »

Well thanks to Xbox-scene.

Here's a short story of what's happening with my intercooler.

My first xbox began freezing, albeit it was the first to be released, I got it in Nov of last year and those reportedly had cooling problems (not all of them but a lot).

So I got a replacement 3 months later and decided to get the Nyko interburner. It worked fine for about 2 months, then I started hearing sounds like something was being shredded to bits inside the cooler. From what I read it's the ball bearings in the fan going bad, thus causing friction and friction always causes heat. So that's why a lot of them are burning out, it's because the fan ball bearings are going bad.

So i ignored the problem for a while, the noise has gotten progressively worse....after reading this.......GOOD BYE INTERCOOLER!! Taking it off as soon as I come back from work. Hoping I won't find any scorch marks.

It's definetly a poorly made product, a great idea as it did keep my 360 cooler, but very poor design. If you do decide to get one, pay very close attention to the sounds it makes. Btw this is not the only problem with the cooler. If you don't have it snapped tightly, you'll get red ring of light and possibly damage the console in the long run. Just avoid this and like everyone said before, get either  a different product with its own power supply or just put a fan where your 360 is.

Thanks to xbox-scene for saving my console!!

Dayton08

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »

I have since taken the intercooler off, provided it's own power supply and cut out the power section, so I can plug the cord directly into the xbox. I also cut out the fan plastic, so it doesn't make as much wind noise.

Same here... mine was working good for about 6 months.. then red lights and freezing..

took it apart.. cut out the intercoolers's plugs and left the casing. Use a 12v power suppy for the fans and plug the 360 into it's real cord.

Works awesome now.. (yes i beleive i notice a difference with it on. better framerate.)

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »

i dontn get it? i should stop use my coolr? huh.gif

hekker001

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Nov 12 2006, 06:16 PM) View Post

Hah.  Fortunately I didn't buy one of those.  

The PS3 does have one thing going for it over the 360 - an apparently superior cooling system.

I guess you have not heard of the overheating issues the PS3 have been having.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »

After I read this I took my intercooler off, took out the screws that cover the wiring, and snipped the wires for the fans. thus removing both the sockets that plug into the 360 and the power plug. Then i took a dremel, and cut out a hole for the power plug to go through. I had an old ac adapter laying around, spliced the fan wires to the adapter, and hooked it back up. No problem. Now i have to plug the cooler in seperately, but I don't have to worry about my 360 not getting enough juice. Or the socket melting. It does need an on off switch, i'll save that for another day.

That's the best solution imo. I never bought that thing personally because I didn't like that it shared the power connection. I just had a feeling that was a bad idea from day #1. I made my own solution, but there is no reason you can't simply modify something commercially available and make it better  wink.gif

smitty2003

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

i had one of these for about 30 seconds. When i put it on i had trouble getting the 360 to power on. so i had to jam it on there and that was a big mistake. it worked afterward, but the damn thing would come off. i had to pry it off and then i just threw the damn thing away.

Calley

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(pickie @ Nov 12 2006, 05:00 PM) View Post

WHY WHY WHY ???????

THE XBOX 360 DOES NOT NEED EXTRA COOLING

READ THE F ING MANUAL ON WHERE TO PLACE YOUR CONSOL AND IT WONT OVER HEAT

MS WOULD OF HAD THESE CONSOLS ON HEAT SOAK FOR WEEKS 24/7 UNDER FULL LOAD

Incorrect young Skywalker....
I have my 360 totally in the open.....I keep my AC on 70 degrees F and I still had lockups during Oblivion, Quake 4, and COD2. Got the intercooler and have had no problems since......
That is all............
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4