xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Andre Vrignaud Confirms no HDMI-cable for 'old 360s', HDMI Advantages  (Read 223 times)

Rage2wrath

• Archived User
Andre Vrignaud Confirms no HDMI-cable for 'old 360s', HDMI Advantages
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »

IGN: Can the X360 send out a digital signal now, or ever?

Microsoft Xbox 360 currently doesn't include a digital out connection for video. Our platform is flexible enough to allow support of a digital connection in the future should we choose to do so.

I want a refund.

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »

Maybe the next generation really did start when Sony released their console. How many console re-thinks does this make?

Add on HD-DVD
Add on 120 GIG
Add on HDMI.

Whoever was in charge of the future vision of xbox live should lose their job. How could you not foresee that 20 gig will not cut it when it comes to HD content?

I should expect this from a company who thought that big goofy first gen controller was a good design.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

To bad, but then again, I guess not many people have a HDMI TV either. Oh well, I'm glad I waited for this Elite, just need it to come out in Europe now.

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Mar 31 2007, 08:34 AM) View Post

AGAIN PEOPLE, I am a huge home theater nut. However, upgrading to HDMI is NOT worth the money in a new 360 **unless** you have a 1080p tv and/or a surround sound receiver that accepts/decodes the HD audio tracks on HD-DVDs.

I am a big fan of HDMI but for my 360 and for me it makes no sense. I don't have another HDMI port, I can't afford a 1080p tv right now, and I don't want to bother spending ~$1000 to upgrade by already awesome home theater.

I always enjoy reading BasicAir's input - esp on home theater stuff.  The bottom line is that you can talk about this HDMI stuff all you want, but basically in the end very few people will benefit from this new Elite system at this time.

it may be fun to talk about and all but i am already very happy with my hi-def setup and do not need nor want HDMI right now...

Methadon

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp1200 @ Mar 31 2007, 07:01 PM) View Post

Maybe the next generation really did start when Sony released their console. How many console re-thinks does this make?

Add on HD-DVD
Add on 120 GIG
Add on HDMI.

Whoever was in charge of the future vision of xbox live should lose their job. How could you not foresee that 20 gig will not cut it when it comes to HD content?

I should expect this from a company who thought that big goofy first gen controller was a good design.

Doubtful. HD-DVD was something they wanted to do anyway, but the cost would've been much higher, so they decided to pull a sega, and give the consumer the choice to upgrade.

The larger hdd was planned early on, as MS had said they'd eventually release larger hdds. I believe it was rumored they'd be doing 60GB drives, (I think those were in dev kits tho), so we lucked up and got double the rumored amount.

The HDMI part sounds more like a response to a bunch of people asking for it. I think it's cool, but right now I game on a 19" widscreen LCD monitor. It's as high-def as I got right now, as the only other set with HD inputs is my 32" TV, which is 4:3 and I suppose 480, if it's doing HD at all.

axess68

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »

Well, the bottom line is this:

-  Not a lot of people have HDTV's, much less HDTV's with HDMI.

-  The movie industry has to really win over the HDTV crowd with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies right now because it's sink or swim time for either format.

-  So, with that in mind, the movie companies have said they will NOT implement the Image Constraint Token any time soon (also known as HDCP). They said the earliest they are projecting implementing it will be around 2010-2012.

This was due to a HUGE uproar of protest from the people with HDTV's without HDMI.

So, do you NEED the HDMI right now? Well, not really because there are TV's that will do 1080p over component-- which is really the only clear benefit of HDMI over component at this point.

If you want Digital-Quality audio from your 360 and you're not using an optical cable, shame on you! tongue.gif

laz45

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

Gizmodo just said that the Elite will not have HDMI 1.3 but instead 1.2 so you can cross out #4

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(laz45 @ Apr 1 2007, 01:35 PM) View Post
Gizmodo just said that the Elite will not have HDMI 1.3 but instead 1.2 so you can cross out #4

No, HDMI 1.1 and higher can carry "higher quality audio", the HD tracks just have to be decoded by the player first.
Pages: 1 [2]