xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gta Iv Game Engine Revealed  (Read 722 times)

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
Gta Iv Game Engine Revealed
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jun 16 2006, 09:52 AM) View Post

your one of the biggest skeptics here, so do you really think this is possible?  for a game to have a large city filled with people and cars, i dont see this becoming reality.  you know there is a big difference between a static room with 2 characters as apposed to what is in GTA.  

as for upgrades, i originally thought you were meaning gameplay wise which is one of the many reasons i dont care for the series.

I definately think it's possible, but the possibility depends on their optimizationand uitlization of the 360s hardware.   In Kameo, there was over 1000 fairly detailed characters on the screen at one time... and I remember reading an article that said it handled multiple times that many without a hiccup during testing, so character-wise I don't think it'd be a problem.  The issue comes from having a large environment loaded.  If Rockstar tries to load a huge portion of the city all at once, I think they may run into problems with the amount of shit happening.  A better approach would be to have sections of the map load as you approach them, but they'd really have to streamline that for it to be effective... I don't think GTA players have the same amount of patience as the Oblivion crowd.  So, while I believe it's totally possible, we haven't seen it yet so if they do pull it off it will be impressive.  I don't recommend any breath holding however.

Gameplay wise, I think they'll add some new elements but I doubt they will deviate much from the past few games.  GTA has secured itself as a sudo-genre... fans are mostly looking for the same experience with a different story.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Jun 16 2006, 03:50 PM) View Post

I definately think it's possible, but the possibility depends on their optimizationand uitlization of the 360s hardware.   In Kameo, there was over 1000 fairly detailed characters on the screen at one time... and I remember reading an article that said it handled multiple times that many without a hiccup during testing, so character-wise I don't think it'd be a problem.  The issue comes from having a large environment loaded.  If Rockstar tries to load a huge portion of the city all at once, I think they may run into problems with the amount of shit happening.  A better approach would be to have sections of the map load as you approach them, but they'd really have to streamline that for it to be effective... I don't think GTA players have the same amount of patience as the Oblivion crowd.  So, while I believe it's totally possible, we haven't seen it yet so if they do pull it off it will be impressive.  I don't recommend any breath holding however.

Gameplay wise, I think they'll add some new elements but I doubt they will deviate much from the past few games.  GTA has secured itself as a sudo-genre... fans are mostly looking for the same experience with a different story.

very true, i totally forgot about that.  they actually had around 4000 characters on screen in the game (3k for the enemies and 1k for the allies) and the testing you are talking about they had over 12k characters in the same scene and still could have had more, very impressive.  i see what you mean and i agree, it shouldnt be an issue since the devs are used to developing on limited resources (ps2) so it shouldnt be a problem given the power of current next gen systems.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »

I'm pretty shocked actually. I thought they'd go for a quality engine like UE3 that already has sooo many of the critical elements in place, including physics and netcode for multiplayer.

Oh well, prepare for sub-15fps GTA3 ala PS2 I guess  tongue.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Jun 16 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

I'm pretty shocked actually. I thought they'd go for a quality engine like UE3 that already has sooo many of the critical elements in place, including physics and netcode for multiplayer.

Oh well, prepare for sub-15fps GTA3 ala PS2 I guess  tongue.gif

whos to say that this isnt a quality engine?  i think the table tennis looks really good and im sure it being a next gen engine it has all of the same effects as the unreal 3 engine.  im not saying they are in the same league but with rockstar being the one's who developed the engine they would benefit more from using their own custom made technology rather then spending even more money purchasing another's.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

I'm thinking more of how they might be wasting their time and resources making an engine instead of concentrating on the content. Renderware made the engines for previous GTA games while rockstar was able to fully concentrate on the content instead.

Though I hope DMA (rockstar north) is getting the proper help from Rockstar so the core team can work on the content while the others slave away to build a proper engine for this golden opportunity. The competition is picking up and getting stronger, either this is a crazy gamble to get an edge on the competition with something incredible in-house innovations or a money-grabbing greedy stunt to save on licensing and suck every last penny out of the retail price of the game.

Either way, its do or die for Rockstar. Thanks for the most next-gen game of last-gen and good luck.

fastTOE

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »

man, i hate waiting so much.... i cant wait for this game (and a bunch of others that are coming too)

if they add online multiplayer of ANY sort i think they will be absolutely GOLDEN - imagine 8x8 or 16x16 gang wars online, that would be too much fun.... some racing maybe, why not? some co-op, definately... there's so much they can do with this series to just blow it up (in a really good way) and i think this generation is the perfect time... we're all ready for a slightly more complex gta with better controls and, the obvious, better graphics, .... so bring it rockstar!

like paranoia said, rockstar is golden either way, they have nothing to worry about.... people are going to buy this game no matter what..... i am

Killa420

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »

Gta IV will be on my pre order list. Rockstar knows what they are doing. Every Gta since III has been fun in my book. True its not the greatest graphics but the overall fun factor is there. I still play Gta Sa just to screw around. They will definitly have this game on live and if you ever played Gta SA the multiplayer with a friend. That is fun as hell. I couldnt imagine how great it would be on live. Hopefully they would have it like a server where a bunch of people could join and do whatever they wanted. Im sure the single player will be fun also. I could see the achievment points now. Collecting all those items and crap. Thats gonna take forever.

StigmataDiaboli

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

I cannot wait for this, i'll have mine preordered so i'll have it on Day 1.  I can't even imagine all the things that are going to be possible now with Live and with a next-gen console.  I personally would be happy with the same thing as before just with a bigger map and more things to do.  Best pick up and play game ever IMO.

fastTOE

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Killa420 @ Jun 17 2006, 02:00 AM) View Post

Gta IV will be on my pre order list. Rockstar knows what they are doing. Every Gta since III has been fun in my book. True its not the greatest graphics but the overall fun factor is there. I still play Gta Sa just to screw around. They will definitly have this game on live and if you ever played Gta SA the multiplayer with a friend. That is fun as hell. I couldnt imagine how great it would be on live. Hopefully they would have it like a server where a bunch of people could join and do whatever they wanted. Im sure the single player will be fun also. I could see the achievment points now. Collecting all those items and crap. Thats gonna take forever.

you didn't like 1 &2?????? man those games were freakin sweet,... playing them made 3 and up soo much better.... i used to dream about a 3d gta then when they finally did it,... it was fruggin nutty sweet awesome (yea)

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Jun 16 2006, 08:05 PM) View Post

GTA wasn't mainstream until it hit consoles, most people never played any before the the 3rd.

Thats BS alllll my friends played GTA2 and quite a few played 1. I remember the awe of seeing it in 3d. I just wanted to kill people all day

DeadBeets

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »

Not that I post much, but I did play the first bunch of top down GTA games, but the 3D ones did give that exact venting, do whatever you want gameplay that some of us really enjoy to pick up and ravage.  I agree that the graphics will take a hit, due to the scale of the world but...I must admit...those Scottish dudes got the feel right.  I will of course check it out first, but I don't expect a let down on this one...

Really...what movie (or series of) will the next be based on, may or may not change my mind.  

I feel, based on the last three...the next should kick all sorts of ass.

TUUK

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

I've loved what the GTA series has done since the first installment and the London Add-on. I also think Rockstar has done a good job of evolving the series with each new revision. Sure, the graphics between III, VC and SA didn't improve much but they all hit in the same generation. I think they added enough each time to get me to pony up the dough for the latest one. But then, I'm easily impressed. I was happy with being about to ride bicycles in SA. 60 bucks well spent smile.gif

SA was a huge game, both geographically and in gameplay terms for me. If the next installment continues the evolution process for GTA and adds a little graphical shine as a bonus, then Rockstar can take my 60 bucks to the bank. (Providing they give me a copy of the game in return that is...)

TUUK

Killa420

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

I dont know if I ever played Gta 1. I remember renting Gta 2 and it was a double pack or something with some British version of Gta I think. It was fun. But I didnt actually go out and purchase it untill Gta 3 came along. That was a longggg time ago though.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »

GTA II was my favorite.  Steal cars, blow stuff up... fun stuff.  I like doing the mob-style stories, but when the series started to do the whole street-gang garbage I got really turned off.  The elements of the game stayed essentially the same, but the theme is too realistic.  These are real problems that are happening now, and I for one wouldn't let my children play games like that.  The last thing I need is my kid's idolizing TJ, the gang-banging, cop killing, crack selling, drive-by shooting video game hero.  This is all personal opinion and while I support everyone's first amendment rights, I really feel that releasing games like these is only helping to promote the concept that it's ok to victimize your neighbors.   I know most of you don't feel the same, but I really get worked up when I see an 8 year old beating a prostitute with a nightstick on his PS2.

fastTOE

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »

gta is everyone's freakin scapegoat.  end of story.

paranoia is right, the game isn't going to make someone do something that they wouldn't have done anyways.
Pages: 1 [2] 3