xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gta Iv Game Engine Revealed  (Read 737 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Gta Iv Game Engine Revealed
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

To see the Graphic Engine that Rockstar plans to use in GTA IV for Xbox 360 and PS3 in action click here. That is right, their recently released Table Tennis game is powered by a new game engine called RAGE (the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) and according to some Rockstar reps in a recent interview on MTV this is also the game engine that will power future Rockstar games, including the much anticipated GTA IV for Xbox 360 and PS3.

http://www.xboxic.com/news/1080

i kind of expected this to begin with, why would they spend money and time developing the engine just for a table tennis game?  looks like a great move, the graphics look very solid and they would understand their engine better then any other, if a budget title looks this good im curious to see what they do with GTA.  

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:42 AM) View Post

if a budget title looks this good im curious to see what they do with GTA.

Yeah, it'lll eb VERY interesting.
But, IMO GTA has never really been known for it's graphics, I always thought it looked OKAY, but then again there were a lot of things on the screen: buildings, people walking, so that's a plus.
Oh, and GTA didn't choke when you played it on an Xbox like with PS2 biggrin.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jun 15 2006, 12:27 PM) View Post

Yeah, it'lll eb VERY interesting.
But, IMO GTA has never really been known for it's graphics, I always thought it looked OKAY, but then again there were a lot of things on the screen: buildings, people walking, so that's a plus.
Oh, and GTA didn't choke when you played it on an Xbox like with PS2 biggrin.gif

okay?  i thought it looked like garbage.  of all of the GTA style games on the last gen systems, GTA is the worse looking of the bunch.  but you are right the series has never been known for its graphics.  

im not going to be buying this game (gets old for me) but im curious to see how it looks.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »

its either this or dead rising for my "take a break" or "just kill people" game. real good stress relievers

im also interested to see how it turns out

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »

also from the quote on maxconsole

quote:

That is right, their recently released Table Tennis game is powered by a new game engine called RAGE (the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) and according to some Rockstar reps in a recent interview on MTV this is also the game engine that will power future Rockstar games, including the much anticipated GTA IV for Xbox 360 and PS3.

Most likely character details will have to be toned down a bit in GTA IV to keep the frame rate smooth but it should still give a good indication of what to expect.

so dont expect a city full of table tennis quality character models, but im sure they will be significantly better than the previous GTA's with the lego hands

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Jun 15 2006, 01:58 PM) View Post

also from the quote on maxconsole
so dont expect a city full of table tennis quality character models, but im sure they will be significantly better than the previous GTA's with the lego hands

that should be expected though, between resource management and budget there is no way it can look as good as table tennis.  if it looks next gen for its genre though is what most people will care about in regards to graphics.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

totally agree... im sure it will be a beast game

i still remember waiting for the shipment at bestbuy on GTA: Vice City the day it came out... i always look forward to a new installment, im sure it will be a title ill buy day one.. especially if it has multiplayer... which it better.

paranoia4422

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

I personally hate rockstar because the will rehash this engine in every GTA game to come.

And i fully expect GTA to look WORSE then saints row.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Jun 15 2006, 03:07 PM) View Post

I personally hate rockstar because the will rehash this engine in every GTA game to come.

And i fully expect GTA to look WORSE then saints row.

that is yet to be seen.  with the money that GTA will be making i see it having a bigger budget then saints row which will make a huge difference.  also this GTA is being developed from the ground up for next gen system where saints row started as a xbox game.  this was found out when they announced that there would be no flying in the game because of the lack of a standarized HD with the systems when a game really doesnt require a HD for flying unless it was initially designed that way.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

Personally I think the GTA concept has sailed, and if Rockstar plans to stay on top with their series, then they will have to make some serious upgrades this time around.  If they can keep the character models and lighting on par with table tennis, then they will be doing a fairly good job.  I'll buy it, when it's in the used game bin.

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jun 15 2006, 12:08 PM) View Post

its either this or dead rising for my "take a break" or "just kill people" game. real good stress relievers

Well, there is a over a year waiting period between these two games, so you might as well get both smile.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Jun 16 2006, 08:24 AM) View Post

Personally I think the GTA concept has sailed, and if Rockstar plans to stay on top with their series, then they will have to make some serious upgrades this time around. If they can keep the character models and lighting on par with table tennis, then they will be doing a fairly good job.  I'll buy it, when it's in the used game bin.

your one of the biggest skeptics here, so do you really think this is possible?  for a game to have a large city filled with people and cars, i dont see this becoming reality.  you know there is a big difference between a static room with 2 characters as apposed to what is in GTA.  

as for upgrades, i originally thought you were meaning gameplay wise which is one of the many reasons i dont care for the series.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(krims0n @ Jun 16 2006, 07:41 AM) View Post

Well, there is a over a year waiting period between these two games, so you might as well get both smile.gif

good point, can I borrow $60?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »

i honestly have faith in them.  you cant expect GOW quality on that large of scale levels, but then again, remember how muddy the game was on ps2, you and i still played the hell out of it. i thought the game play was spot on. as long as its as fun as the past 3 games, ill be buying it - day one.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 16 2006, 12:05 PM) View Post

i honestly have faith in them.  you cant expect GOW quality on that large of scale levels, but then again, remember how muddy the game was on ps2, you and i still played the hell out of it. i thought the game play was spot on. as long as its as fun as the past 3 games, ill be buying it - day one.

beerchug.gif x2

Graphics are good, but when there's no gameplay to back up good graphics, the game sucks.  And that, my friends, is why I still log a few hours a week with Tetris.  I'd MUCH rather have good gameplay and bad graphics than decent gameplay and decent-good graphics any day.
Pages: [1] 2 3