xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit  (Read 4171 times)

firebeaveruk

• Archived User
Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »

hmm i think what gary might means that the xbox360 o/s can only read data from the usb port, that would include controller feed back also as it just reading whats being pushed on the controller.

i did wonder when you create a custom play list off a usb key, where does it keep the playlist layout? dont think its on the key , must be on the memory card or hardrive.

windows has software tools to make usb ports read-only, so maybe the 360 is the same and is dictated via the 360 O/S

i havent read a lot about the memory card, but why cant a usb key be modified so it can plug in this section of the drive rather than the usb ports since it obviously writes?

i think the security chip someone above has been mentioning defialty involves more investigation.

acidwarz

• Archived User
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »

format the flash drive in FAT 32 should work fine after that!

slyth

• Archived User
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

does this actually work?

Drunkn_Munky

• Archived User
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »

Nope, do you really think Microsoft would make it that easy?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

acully thers a scandisk flashdrive that does indded dubble as a 360 memery card. guess it has the nedded chip. i have a 512mb mp3 player/usb mass storage device i would like to use myself. 40 bucks for 64 megs is plain retarted. hell i only payed 50 for my 512mb lol.

decrease789

• Archived User
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2007, 03:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(JoHnnyTK36 @ Jan 12 2006, 05:46 AM) View Post

Great job on that guide.

Here is my guide.

Here is a like to download it, it is 22mb and in MS word format. Once i resize the images i will post it here.

http://savefile.com/files/5039022

links dead? anyone got the file to send it to me?

synace

• Archived User
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(JoHnnyTK36 @ Apr 15 2006, 02:36 PM) *

You can already change the filesystem. Its the sercurity chip that is getting in the way. I have been meaning to see if there is a a way i can take the security chip off the memory card and put it in a flash drive or jsut upgrade the memory in the 360s memory card. I have been very busy with school and this 360sata stuff though. I will let everybody know though if i find the time to figure out anything.

did we find out if you can mod a stock memory card by adding more memory to it? or is the security chip locked to the size of the memory, such as the drive is locked to 20gb.

This post has been edited by synace: Feb 26 2007, 04:16 AM

ThomsonElite

• Archived User
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »

First of all, this is not a flame or to offend you brains in here, I'm just a humble gamer myself.

But I really need to know something:

Okay now we have found the source of data, made drivers and all that.

Once you have gotten hold of the data onto your memory card and loaded it in the game, then what ? if you cant get achievement points this way, why not just play the whole game yourself ?

I got an idea wich seems like noone have talked about in here.o0( Yes I have read the whole topic )
You cant get gamerscore because you are NOT the same gamer profile, but what if the profiles was named the exact same thing ? would it do any differences ? I know this piece is not a part of my whole "WHY-WHY-WHY" post, but whatever, it just crossed my mind.

I see the deal with the "Once-payed-now-free" data that can be transfered arround now, but really, if you cant get gamer points, isnt this just for ppl to get free arcade games, free upgrades and stuff ? in short terms, transferring M$ stuff from one MU to another for the purpose of NOT paying for it ?

I see the "challenge for a hacker" kind of situation here, and noone who do great hacking, says no to that, but why dont you guys come up with a way to configure the games, so that you could make mods of the game on your PC, transfer and use it like Oblivion-armored horses? I know this is much harder to even think of a usefull way, but hey, if some of you allready got the horse thing on a MU; Go for it.

All it needs is a bright mind and time, and some of you in here allready proven to be rightfull owners of the bright minds.

Since I'm no good at modding and stuff like that, I'll just sit back and wait  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

This post has been edited by ThomsonElite: Mar 13 2007, 11:11 AM

Malumvolo

• Archived User
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »

Any recent developments?

master_p

• Archived User
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »

For giggles I hooked my hdd up to my 360 with my sata->USB converter, and of course, nothing happened. The 360 didn't detect it at all.

Apparently FatX isn't readable through the USB, so I don't think we'll be able to hack up a standard flash drive like this.

I am curious to using a flash drive, modded to work with the mc port, but according the the breif documention on the memcard, the two signals are Data 1 & Data 2. Whether it's actually just like a USB communication or not, I'm not sure, but as cheap as flash drives are, wouldn't hurt to try.

zwierzakol

• Archived User
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2007, 02:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(garyopa @ Jun 1 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

USB ports are programmed for READ-ONLY, so memory saving will never work on the 360 via the USB
ports.

If that's true than how controller would know when to force feedback in the game. In situation's like gear shifting on automatic gears. There also (I think) must be some information what x360 wants from USB device, the exact mp3 to play.

fits79

• Archived User
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »

Hi.

After all posts have you find any usb2sata adapter that can flash the xbox360(Samsung, benq, hitachi) drives whith that device(usb2sata)??

If you find it then which usb2sata adaptor is??

A lot of thanks.

AutoGibbon

• Archived User
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

Having read this thread, I decided to take a look into it myself. However I took a different path, whereby I am trying merely to upgrade the capacity of the mem unit. Upon opening both a memory unit and a £10 usb stick... one thing i noticed is that the shitty little 64mb is just a standard memory chip. Exactly the same as the pendrive.

And the little silver bit with 24.000 inscribed on it, almost identical to a similar piece on the drive. The pics show it.

I don't know if anyone else had already mentioned this in a previous thread, but I thought it would be useful in our quest.

I'm trying to work out how likely that the unit would still work if I replaced the memory chip with one of higher capacity, made by the same manufacturer. My unit's chip is SAMSUNG.

Memory chips
The apparent "Crystals"

Beware, the pics are pretty big and I couldn't be bothered resizing them. Low bandwidth users are screwed.

PezDispenser

• Archived User
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »

Okay, I'm like the ultimate Newb here:  first post, just got my first 360 [new mobo after, pre-warranty extension broken sticker & RRoD].  This also probably technically Off-Topic...

If the PC USB flash drive is such a pain, why not just figure out how to wire a SD adapter?  Prices are dropping all the time but a 1 GB SD card has been $10-15 delivered on Newegg for about 9 months.  I know (from my Rio mp3 player) that they run 3.3v.

I certainly don't have the expertise or the cash for the poking around you guys are doing (I'm envious).  So if I'm just being a dumb SOB newb, feel free to tell me.  

I really can't tell from this thread if that would be "too easy," you're not interested, or it would be too hard.   uhh.gif

I've read this thread, from the beginning.  I searched, closely checking the 2006 & 2007 threads, only this post:  Moving Saves Around on SD adapters...

I really would like to have a cheaper storage solution than $30 for 512 GB or $100 for a hard drive with a limited life span.  

To be clear, I'm talking about using [removeable] SD card in adapter as a replacement for the MU.  I could care less about being able to backup my 360 saves to PC, hacking the 360 OS or whatever.

SCRAPN

• Archived User
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »

If you can replace the memory on the memory unit try this idea
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ipod_Nano_200...n_ATA_connector
and conect a ide hard drive to it.
You might be able to get a usb to ide converter as well to use usb drives.
Also with the use the existing security chip idea make sure you remove the memory and try using a usb hub because ther both seperate usb devices or power the usb drive from one of the 360's usb ports. Tell me how it goes because I can't try it my self.

This post has been edited by SCRAPN: Jan 28 2008, 10:03 AM
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18