xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: !did Micro$oft Screw Up?!  (Read 43 times)

ColdOblivion

• Archived User
!did Micro$oft Screw Up?!
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »

To the admins-moderators... I'm so absolutely sorry in advanced IF this post breaks some rule/s. I've Read the rules and have tried to keep this as clean and kosher as possible. But just incase I made a mistake, I wanted to tell you so you know it was not my intent to do so. thank you <3

OK....So......   I have a refurbished Xbox 360 with a Sam/ms25 that has not been hacked or altered. All was well and good for a while and the thing ran perfectly. Then one day when we got Halo3 and ran it for the first time, it asked if we wanted to "up date" and we entered yes. Seconds later it threw E66 at us and refused to work.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

After much digging and research I found that the best coarse of action would be to flash the FW with some other, better FW and call it good. Upon attempting(*2) to read the original FW to get the drive key, I discovered that although the sticker on the drive is ms25 the drive is reporting its FW as ms28.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (I will discuss how I know this soon)(*1)

As the topic suggests....
All though it's very possible that I fu&#$d up, or there is some compatibility error. I don't think that is the case. What I think is that M$ didn't anticipate the fall 07 update when they refurbished this 360 (is that date correct?) and they used the more up-to-date ms28 FW in the drive. So when halo3 ran the update "something" decided that the drives FW was hacked and it only kept working long enough to spit out E66. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

If I'm correct then that means its Microsuck's......I mean....uhhh..... Microsoft's fault, right?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif) They'd never admit it though

FYI:      My PC is as follows....

Mobo:_____VIA P4VM800
SATA:_____2 jacks 1.5 Gbs VIA SATA RAID Controller (RAID is off) My drivers are up-to-date
CPU:______P4 Celeron 2.4 532Mhz FSB {4x133 for 532 effective)
RAM:______768Mb at 400Mhz {2x200 for 400 effective}
HD:_______IDE 160Gb Seagate 7200 R.P.M ATA100 8Mb cash
Video:_____Radeon 9250 8x AGP 128Mb DDR DVI AV VGA out

(*1): On my mobo (p4vm800) if you turn on the 360 drive right after post but just be for the PC starts detecting the drives, it [will/did] find the 360 drive. And the end of the drives string [was/will be] ms28. I just barley caught it and haven’t been able to do it again, but I know what I saw the first time.

(*2): I’ve followed mostly "textbooks" method of doing your basic Samsung TS-H943A flash. He seams to know what he’s talking a bought. But every time I run the command "rSam 1234567 12345" after it says, "Make sure your Xbox 360 drive is on and hooked up" it sees the drive (as 2: xtream). But when I follow the next step, (hit "2"... turn off the drive... hit enter... w8 10-15 seconds... turn on the drive) it just hangs and does nothing. if I hit Escape it will say "err. 50 expecting 71" or some thing along those lines and goes back to A:\ prompt. I really need to get this to work so I can get the drive key and reflash the FW to spoof ms25 or make it a "real" ms25 flash. And no, I’m not interested in making it play burnt disks. I can't even burn DVDs. I just want it to work, without having to spend a bunch to have M$ "fix" it again. If anyone can help me on this one (like doing it for me for free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) or telling me what I’m doing wrong, post it plz.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif) -Oblivion (not the game, I've never played)

This post has been edited by ColdOblivion: Mar 7 2008, 12:10 PM