xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1  (Read 1701 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2003, 09:40:00 PM »

wink.gif

This was my first linux install on my xbox, so this tut was a lifesaver  beerchug.gif
I have had the USB adapters forever, just never got around to getting a USB keyboard/mouse for my xbox until tonight. (BTW, I got a jet black usb keyboard/mouse from Office Max for $20. They are Belkin! They are pure black, so they match very nice! I was happy to find them, after trolling compusa for 30 minutes  dry.gif )

Here are the problems/resolutions that I had.  biggrin.gif
Hope this helps!

(1) - The new installer uses 0.4.1.iso as the boot cd for install.

(2) - I used boot_fatx_e.iso as the files on my e: drive (to launch linux) (The video line mentioned in the tut is not in linuxboot.cfg any longer...)

(3) - The installer boots to a bash prompt. You must "su root" to gain root priveleges before starting the install. The default root password is "xbox". (for the "live" account, the pwd is also "live")

(4) - I am running static IP, so I couldn't resolve hostnames until I added my routers ip address as a nameserver under /etc/resolv.conf (duh!). It never prompted me for a nameserver during install <is it supposed to!> After this I was able to ping yahoo.com, so I knew it was resolving and getting out of the firewall.

(5) - I could not run the "apt-get install kdebase" package installer until I went to /etc/apt/sources.list and deleted all of the localhosts lines in vi. I had to remove the comment from the other lines as well. Next I had to run another "apt-get update". Finally I was able to procede with the kde/kdm install!

I am very happy with the installer package overall! A few minor hickups, but since I work with linux from time to time, it was a breeze to get through! Thanks to the developers and those of you writing these tuts.  beerchug.gif

xboxhackcrack

• Archived User
Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2003, 03:28:00 PM »

why shouldnt you surf the web as a root server?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]