xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1  (Read 1417 times)

chrislynch

• Archived User
Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »

Can you all verify that both Video and Audio cache is enabled in TMPGEnc's Preferences, and set to their max values:  1024MB and 32MB (assuming you have at least 2GB of RAM.)

zLensman

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Feb 10 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post

I saw above that you were using ffdshow to decode x264 video.  I do not support, nor work with ffdshow to decode x264 video.  Please use CoreAVC if at all possible.  The 5-minute stutter has been linked to ffdshow in the other post with impimpin's tutorial.  If you cannot, jacanuck has a reg file posted on his site that should fix the stuttering issue.  Again, I do not help you further with ffdshow.

That was me.  I'm the motherless son-of-a-gun who was using ffdshow for a while there.  And, not just the accursed ffdshow, but the ffdshow-tryouts beta.  Dang my ornery hide!   mad.gif

But I now have CoreAVC Pro 1.6.5.0, I have turned off H.264 decode in ffdshow (which is still installed), and I set CoreAVC to "preferred decoder".  I think that should give CoreAVC the highest merit and the DirectShow graphs that I have checked show that it is indeed being used to decode these MKV files.  I wanted to make it very clear in my previous posts that I was not using CoreAVC, as prescribed in the tutorial.  However, I find it interesting that ffdshow-tryouts gave me the same results as others on the same settings.

All of this leads me to agree with the current consensus that TMPGEnc Xpress is the most likely culprit.  We have practically ruled out CoreAVC and ffdshow-tryouts 4a as the root of the problem.  Both of them give me smooth-as-glass playback from MKV files in WMP11 and MPC.

Welcome back, Chris.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »

Welcome back, Chris. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Thanks.  I did enjoy my vacation.  Had a great cruise down Mexico.

I do firmly believe the issue is with TMPGEnc.  If all of that have actually paid for TMPGEnc, we should open a support case with Pegasys to hopefully find a root cause.

For the time being, I would strongly suggest anyone who has had a codec pack installed on their machine, do the following:

1.  Remove all codecs.  Yes.  All of them.
2.  Reboot.
3.  Download and acquire CCleaner and K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool.  Install both.
4.  Run CCleaner, and have it do a registry check.  Select YES when prompted to backup the registry before it "cleans it."
5.  Run K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool, and have it detect for broken codecs.

If all comes back clean, then go back to the tutorial and install the components I outlined.  Also, the version that is up there does not state to enable Video and Audio Cache.  If you have disabled these, I would suggest re-enabling them before you encode.  Also, try changing the Encode Type from 2-pass VBR Peak/Avg, to 2-Pass VBR Avg.  I will update the TMPGEnc templates to reflect this change tomorrow.

bling20

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Feb 11 2008, 12:47 AM) View Post

Can you all verify that both Video and Audio cache is enabled in TMPGEnc's Preferences, and set to their max values:  1024MB and 32MB (assuming you have at least 2GB of RAM.)

Ok I didnt see how to check the audio and video in prefrences. But i did have ffdshow installed so i uninstalled it then gonna try again

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(bling20 @ Feb 11 2008, 12:23 PM) View Post

Ok I didnt see how to check the audio and video in prefrences. But i did have ffdshow installed so i uninstalled it then gonna try again

It's under the CPU settings in preferences. It's the prefetch cache that we were discussing earlier. I'm testing an encode right now with all the new steps followed exactly. Will report back in a few hours

dgarst

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Alright chrislynch. this is in response to what you told me to do in the previous thread.

I ran ccleaner and fixed all problems in the registry, then I ran K-lite codec tweak tool and it was clean. I then reinstalled CoreAVC Pro, AC3Filter, and Haali Media splitter. I also configured them as the guide told me to.

When I open the .mkv video with media player classic and WMP, It plays perfectly. When I try to drag it into TMPGEnc Xpress, it still says it cannot open the file.

Here is a copy+paste of the MediaInfo:

Format                       : Matroska
File size                    : 7.95 GiB
PlayTime                     : 3h 12mn
Bit rate                     : 5902 Kbps
Encoded date                 : UTC 2006-07-30 22:35:14
Writing application          : mkvmerge v1.7.0 ('What Do You Take Me For') built on Apr 28 2006 17:20:19
Writing library              : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.0

Video #0
Codec                        : AVC
Codec/Family                 : AVC
Codec/Info                   : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile                : [email protected]
Codec settings, CABAC        : Yes
PlayTime                     : 3h 12mn
Bit rate                     : 5275 Kbps
Nominal bit rate             : 5507 Kbps
Width                        : 1920 pixels
Height                       : 784 pixels
Display Aspect ratio         : 2.449
Frame rate                   : 25.000 fps
Chroma                       : 4:2:0
Interlacement                : Progressive
Writing library              : x264 - core 48 svn-537M

Encoding settings            : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=6 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / slices=2 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=5507 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30

Language                     : English

Audio #0
Codec                        : AC3
Bit rate mode                : CBR
Bit rate                     : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                   : 6 channels
Channel positions            : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate                : 48 KHz

Text #0
Codec                        : VobSub
Codec/Info                   : The same subtitle format used on DVDs

Text #1
Language                     : Danish

Text #2
Language                     : Swedish

Text #3
Language                     : Norwegian Nynorsk

Text #4
Language                     : Finnish

Text #5
Language                     : Icelandic

Hopefully this helps.

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

I posted a new version of the tutorial.  The steps are the same, I have simply added more information.  Take a gander if you like.

@dgarst:

I don't know what to say.  Opening an MKV source within TMPGEnc is rather easy.  Are you running Windows XP or Vista?  32bit or 64bit?  What version of TMPGEnc are you running?  You are following exactly how the tutorial walks you through opening an MKV source to a new TMPGEnc project?

dgarst

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Feb 12 2008, 12:26 AM) View Post

I posted a new version of the tutorial.  The steps are the same, I have simply added more information.  Take a gander if you like.

@dgarst:

I don't know what to say.  Opening an MKV source within TMPGEnc is rather easy.  Are you running Windows XP or Vista?  32bit or 64bit?  What version of TMPGEnc are you running?  You are following exactly how the tutorial walks you through opening an MKV source to a new TMPGEnc project?

I am running Windows Vista 32-bit. I am running TMPGEnc V.4.4.1.237. And I am dragging the mkv into the "add a clip" box

dgarst

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

However, I might have used K-lite Codec tweak wrong. I just checked the "Fixes" box and the "Generate text file containing" box. I dont know if that did anything. That could be it. How do I make sure that I don't have any other codecs installed? I know I have no codec packs, I looked in the add/remove programs area. But single installed codecs I am not too sure of.

dgarst

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »

Alright, I fixed it. I had to check Directshow filter in the plug ins section in preferences. I went ahead and checked everything in the plugins list. is that ok?

Im starting to encode at the most recent settings, with 2-Pass VBR Avg. and the audio and video cache checked.

I will let you know how it looks once it is done.

dgarst

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 03:57:00 AM »

The original setup causes the first 5 minutes to be stuttery, but then runs smoothly afterwards, right?

Isn't it possible to add 5 minutes worth of black screen to the video before you encode it? That way you wont have any choppiness when the actual movie starts. Or is this not possible?

Awakener

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »

If I play a encoded wmv file on the xbox360 from harddisk wil I also get 5.1 surround? Or is this only possible if I stream the file from PC with AC3 Filter?

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(dgarst @ Feb 12 2008, 03:33 AM) View Post

The original setup causes the first 5 minutes to be stuttery, but then runs smoothly afterwards, right?

Isn't it possible to add 5 minutes worth of black screen to the video before you encode it? That way you wont have any choppiness when the actual movie starts. Or is this not possible?

Again, if you do not set the Source FPS to 24 frames per second, you will have choppy/stuttering video.

QUOTE(Awakener @ Feb 12 2008, 05:27 AM) View Post

If I play a encoded wmv file on the xbox360 from harddisk wil I also get 5.1 surround? Or is this only possible if I stream the file from PC with AC3 Filter?

It does not matter where the source WMV is located.  If it contains a valid WMA 10 Pro 5.1 audio audience/stream, then you will have 5.1 audio.  Of course, your receiver needs to support 5.1 Dolby Digital, which is what the Xbox 360 decodes the WMA audio audience/stream to.

AC3filter would not be used to stream anything to your Xbox 360, unless you used something like TVersity or Transcode360 which transcode/re-encode on-the-fly from the source to WMV.  Not something I would recommend anyone use or do to stream HD content to their 360.  Unless you like standard def.

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(dgarst @ Feb 12 2008, 02:31 AM) View Post

Alright, I fixed it. I had to check Directshow filter in the plug ins section in preferences. I went ahead and checked everything in the plugins list. is that ok?

Im starting to encode at the most recent settings, with 2-Pass VBR Avg. and the audio and video cache checked.

I will let you know how it looks once it is done.

Hmm.. I wonder how that go changed.  That is not a default configuration.  Without DirectShow Filter enabled in TMPGEnc, you will be unable to load any type of video or container that TMPGEnc does not have native support.

bling20

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

So I checked the audio and video caches and did another encode and still twitchy ever 40 seconds or so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20