xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: New Line Follows Warner Bros. and Goes Blu  (Read 758 times)

Molten Universe

• Archived User
New Line Follows Warner Bros. and Goes Blu
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

I was arguing with a friend a couple weeks ago about why this format war is just stupid, he owns all 3 consoles, I just own a 360. From his point of view BR is best, having 2 beast like 50" screens at his place, so thats a fair enough, non biast opinion. Me only owning a small 60cm SD Tv (which is what i play my xbox/360 on 85% of the time) and 40 something inch rear projection (my dog ate the HD side of my AV cable, so Its not HD anyways) I can certainly say bigger is better, and obviously Halo3 in HD (played it HD at my same friends house) obviously looks better than SD. And thats just DVD. Though I have not seen HD-DVD in action, the BR didn't exactly wow me , this was on a 52' panasonic. Although it was yet again, obviously better. As some one mentioned before its not like the jump from VHS to DVD, Then it made me realise, the new technology that was DVD only required SD tvs to look its best when it came out, some one please (seriously) give me a history lesson as to if HD tvs even existed then. So if everyone only owned SD tvs of coarse everyone would want to embrace this new technology (DVD).

My point is (finally I know) that until EVERYONE owns a HD tv this format war isn't really fair considering the percentage of people who can tell the difference with their HD tvs is smaller than the people who can't with SD.
But even if everyone did own a HD tv, it still would be a harder adoption than it was to adopt DVD, because obviously there are to formats now (thats what makes it a war  smile.gif )

Anywho we all have our opinion and we will all enjoy what we want to, stop the BS arguing and chill out by watching whatever format you chose  pop.gif

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »

Molten Universe

You're right. The Idea of HDTV wasn't introduced until the late 90's. DVD's had been out long before then. The bad news is how many people still own SDTVs. The good news is that just about any flatpanel TV you buy now is HD... unless you go to Wal-Mart to buy it. In my store every flat panel regardless of size (15 inches and up) is atleast 720p. So if you buy a brand new TV, chances are you can take advantage of a higher resolution considering the big thing on DVD was 480p (480 lines of resolution) up from standard definition's 480i (they call it EDTV).

Chancer

You're obviously just trying to find an argument, because I explained that stuff already. Screen size does matter, 480i was originally made for 20inch TVs. 720 was originally made for larger TVs. 1080 was originally made for TVs larger than 50 inches, although it can be found on a lot of TVs 40 inches and up (and Sharp has a 32 inch model). Why would you not know you need an HDTV to see the difference??? BD & HD DVD are for HDTV. If I have to tell you that, you're in the wrong debate. Still, I'll go back and tell you one more time... If you have a TV below 46 inches YOU DON'T NEED 1080p. If you have a TV below 32 inches you CAN'T get 1080p. If you have a 32 inch that is 1080p it's a Sharp Aquos.

The question wasn't for you. So...

Lastly, I don't know how you took my statement you quoted, but I'll say it one more time slowly.

Bigger       TV's        only      give      you     a       better      picture      IF        they      have      a     HIGHER     resolution.

That "higher" means it isn't running the same resolution as the 32inch, and for the most part they don't. 32 inch TV's generally come in 720p format, and 65 inch TV's generally come in 1080p. But I was saying a 65 inch TV will not look better than a 32 inch (a value you inserted) SDTV unless you increase the resolution of the 65.... in other words comparing why you need HDTV in a 65 inch, verses my original size of 20 inches, and why a 20 inch TV does not.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Yesterday, 01:50 AM

GuntherMP5

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(FirestormZero @ Jan 7 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post

Frankly, I find both of these formats completely useless and unnecessary.

DVD quality is really good. Blu-ray and HD-DVD just aren't that much different. It's not like the leap from vhs to dvd was.

What? DVD's look like crap on a an HDTV, I don't even know if they still make SD TV's. It's like watching regular SD channels on an HDTV you have to watch HD channels for a good picture.

Even an upscaling OPPO might make a DVD look better but it's NO WAY NEAR the clarity of a Blue Ray or HD DVD . I just need it becuase alot of the early 70's CULT Classics are not released on any HD format, hell 1/6th of my DVD's are not released on DVD for that matter.

You are crazy or blind, if you think that HD ( whatever format ) is not much different than SD from a DVD.

I suppose listening to a movie from the TV speakers sounds the same as 7.1 digital, Crazy I say!!!!!

Just Crazy!!!!

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »

Why would you not know you need an HDTV to see the difference??? BD & HD DVD are for HDTV. If I have to tell you that, you're in the wrong debate.

I have read your post over and over and still do not get what you are actually trying to say. seems like you are waffling. You seem to be quoting the above as if I have turned round and said there is no difference between DVd and BR & HD-DVD.
 I was actually replying to your statements on who makes the best TV sets and the fact you quoted the size of your TV like it made it better quality than smaller HDTVs.
 You have now decided to start talking about size and Full HD. Not that the fact it is 1080i or 1080P is any different size wise. simply progressive or interlaced scan.
32 inch TV's generally come in 720p format

Which shop do you work in? Your 32" don't all support 1080i?

If you have a TV below 32 inches you CAN'T get 1080p.

Sharp 22" & Sharp26"
Soyo 24" & 32"
Last post on this as even I am bored with it now.

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jan 8 2008, 07:41 PM) *

If you have a TV below 32 inches you CAN'T get 1080p.

Whaaaa????

I guess you don't know about the 1900x1200 panels that are 24 inches (or even less)?  While you can argue that they aren't "TVs" but monitors, there are models that have component inputs as well as HDMI.  Either way it kind of kills your argument that high resolutions are only for large TVs.

EDIT: I posted before I saw the end of chancer's post.

This post has been edited by biga55: Today, 01:03 AM

thor99

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »

I found This for anyone interested... http://www.petitiono...D/petition.html
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]