xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Blockbuster's Blu-ray Endorsement Having Major Impact on HD DVD Sales  (Read 432 times)

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
Blockbuster's Blu-ray Endorsement Having Major Impact on HD DVD Sales
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »

i've noticed outside of any videophile community that practically NOBODY knows that HD DVDs and normal DVDs are different things. HD DVD was set to loose just based off the similar name.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(xcalixxryderx @ Jun 19 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

I wonder how much $$$ sony paid for this

Probably as much as they did at Wal-Mart because this past weekend I was unable to find 1 HD-DVD in 3 Wal-Marts and the local Circuit City only had a little potato chip rack full of HD-DVD's, If only they advertised it a LOT more...

Liquidvlade Hiraduo

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »

At first, I was really picky about the situation because I saw that UMD flopped and now you can go to every other GameStop and find UMD's for like 3$ and people are still not buying them. (brother works at GS). I also bought a PS3 which so far, it has no games and its only good as a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p DVD player (with firmware upgrade).

Add-ons were never appealing to me, unless it was Extremely necessary, but honestly, I rather see Blu-Ray come on top, they are cheaper in my area than HD-DVD and a few other things.

But the MAIN reason why Blu-Ray is doing slightly better, its because Sony is forcing their users to have a Blu-Ray player through the PS3, and people obviously are gonna go to Blockbuster to rent PS3 games and if there is no decent ones, they will ask for Blu-Ray.

I talked to one of the BB managers about 4 months ago and I asked him, are you guys bringing HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? He said "Right now, neither, but by late June, early July it will be Blu-Ray" and when I ask why? He said "Nobody asks for HD-DVD, most people ask for Blu-Ray because they own a PS3, but anyway, every other average guy still goes for DVD's"

Which is duh true.

Fyb3roptik

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

No the hd-dvd addon for the 360 will NEVER play games. All 360 games are on dual-layer discs....no need to put them onto an hd-dvd

ravage73

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »

the only reason blu ray is winning, is because ps3 owners have nothing else to buy but movies. while the 360 owners are playing games instead of watching hd-dvd. in all honesty, i dont care who wins.

ravage73

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Goldenbear @ Jun 20 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

I'm just want one format to win out soon, so that I can stop buying DVDs.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

BD spec compression is mpeg2 thats why they don't look as good as HD-DVD.

Sony forced that spec.

matasnaza

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

While I seriously doubt that the blockbuster story has any sort of effect on the market, I do think it was more of a symptom of what is happening.  Personally, I was sort of pulling for BR, only due to the larger capacity.  Anyone who tells you that capacity doesn't matter is right.... until the year 2009 or so.  Yes, media is moving more towards a broadband-to-hard-drive type vehicle for usage on a daily basis... but all of this media/data will need to be available for distribution through a physical medium also.  Optical disks will still be far cheaper than any other method for many years to come, and so the more capacity you have the better the format IMO.

I never have, and probably never will own any version of Playstation, but I have to say that while alot of people, especially here, have criticised Sony for making BR standard on every PS3, it has proved to be very successful... if only in assuring the victory of BR over HD DVD.  Who knows, it may even prove to be the biggest assett to the PS3 platform in a couple of years to have the advantage of the much higher capacity.  Only time will tell.

I have a Xbox 1 and mostly just use it for xbmc.  I would love to turn all of my movies, tv shows, music into digital and store it all onto one uber-hard drive. That is still a couple of years off to have that sort of storage capacity, and when that finally comes around, I'd rather be able to back it up onto fewer disks when I can eventually afford a burner of the winning format for my computer.  I guess that is my purely selfish reason for rooting for BR, so that I can have fewer burned disks sitting on my desk.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Goldenbear @ Jun 21 2007, 08:44 PM) View Post

Where do people get this mis-information? rolleyes.gif

BD supports the following codecs: MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1.
HD-DVD supports the following codecs: MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1.

The initial version of Sony's authoring software apparently only supported MPEG-2, so early BD disks were encoded as such. Some currently shipping disks may still use MPEG-2 (probaby because some people didn't want to upgrade their authoring software).

In any case, it's up to the developers/publishers which compression scheme they use. It has NOTHING to do with the capabilities of BD or HD-DVD.

http://gizmodo.com/g...decs-140423.php

http://www.ultimatea.../706dsamsungbd/

http://www.hdtvsolut..._Vs_Blu-ray.htm

Quote from wikipedia

"The initial version of Sony's Blu-ray Disc-authoring software shipped with support for only 1 video-codec: MPEG-2[citation needed]. Consequently, all launch titles were encoded in MPEG-2 video[citation needed]. A subsequent update allowed the content producers to author titles in any of the 3 supported codecs: MPEG-2, VC-1, or H.264[citation needed]. The choice of codecs affects the producer's licensing/royalty costs, as well as the title's maximum runtime "

So yes blu-ray supports the same codecs but the studios have to pay more for them.
And how do consumers know what is being used?
I would say the majority of BD titles thus far have been done with mpeg-2 compression.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]