xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone Else Disappointed... (Spoilers)  (Read 336 times)

wolrahnaes

• Archived User
Anyone Else Disappointed... (Spoilers)
« on: November 07, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »

I love the game in its entirety, but there are parts that I just don't like.

I don't think anything I'm about to say qualifies as a spoiler, but if you're not one of the lucky few who found a store willing to sell it to you and don't want to risk it, stop reading now.

First off, the lack of the ATV or any of the new Warthogs that I've been drooling over for months was a real disappointment.  
Second, the ending really sucked.  It was just kinda anticlimactic after working my way there, to have nothing but an opening for a third game.

The multiplayer is great, and having 15 people on 7 Xboxes on Coagulation is a riot, but I just thought something was missing.  And what's with the total lack of fall damage?  It's not cool when someone can fly a Banshee over your base and just drop in without even getting hurt, then take off running with the flag.  <

sk1tz0

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

The ending pissed me off.   dry.gif

neverwill

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »

I wasn't dissapointed at all. Halo 2 is amazing in every way, although I wish it was longer, I just finished it tonight and plan on playing through it again on heroic.

The ending...yeah...I wasn't really dissapointed, I just wanted to keep playing. I hate how they basically just left it as the start to Halo 3 (which bungie said they arent even making, but would be stupid not to, so obviously they eventually will). Maybe they'll release another couple single player levels on Xbox Live, but I doubt it. Although this would be kick ass and I would probably buy live just for that alone, not to mention the great multiplayer this game has.  <

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:01:00 AM »

I thought it was too short as well. Also are there more than one path for each level? I never got to the stuff shown on the previews back at e3 and in the early trailers.

BTW, what about killzone, ps2 sux biggrin.gif It wouldn't be worth buying without GTA tongue.gif

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

well here's my gripes about it

short game - (only 5-10 hours long) took me about 15 hours because i dont have any prior halo exp (but have fps exp)

repetitive levels - literally repeats the same level about 2x or 3x over to make them longer, that did not sit well with me since i got lost a lot of times.

no bots - i cant even practice the maps offline save for remembering where everything is at, but i cant formulate plans without actually doing them against actual bots/players shooting at me.  it would be great if i could practice maps against legendary difficulty bots.

cliffhanger ending- nobody liked it and i felt shafted when the game ended.  i thought you could unlock more of the ending by increasing the difficulty level but im probably wrong.  on top of the cliffhanger ending, they added another cliffhanger ending at the end of the credits which raises more questions.  not knowing whether or not the story completes itself w/ halo 3, its very bad as theres no assurances to whether or not we get another game to finish the storyline.

despite those flaws in this game i cant say im disappointed because there was nothing for me to live up to.  i hated halo 1 but loved halo 2.  <

hard candy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 07:51:00 AM »

I disagree, I believe it was a good game. Especially playing the Covenent side for a while was interesting.
What happens is that we get caught up in the anticipation and the aftermath is a little disappointing. Sort of like chasing a member of the opposite/same sex. The chase builds up fantasies, the reality is disappointing the day after the big date. Sometimes it then grows into something good and we are happy again.
Doom3, Halo2, Halflife2 will have the same effect for some of us, the big buildup and then the letdown.
The games that come out of nowhere- the first Halo, Halflife, the first Doom, Far Cry, etc- will always be better in our memory since there was no buildup.   <

BobBrkersMyHero

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:56:00 AM »

excuse me for asking...or saying...but isnt the street date on this tomorrow? how did all of you get it AND beat it already

its people like you that are going to be destroying everyone on live on like the 3rd day its out lol  <

DrLurch

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

Its Been out here (new Zealand) For 4 Hours Now  <

catgut

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (pholly @ Nov 8 2004, 10:04 AM)
...Also are there more than one path for each level? I never got to the stuff shown on the previews back at e3 and in the early trailers...

I think the urban level preview movie was specially made just for the preview, and doesn't exist in the same form in the game.

I'm thinking specifically of the urban earth combat preview movie that was shipped with some Halo 1 discs, where a pelican flies in with the M.C. into a city, walks past medics, climbs the stairs into a building under attack from some giant covenant cannon,  cannon gets bombed, m.c. goes into street combat, then jumps on a warthog and uses mounted rocket launcher to take out covenant vehicles, hijacks a ghost, gets covenant to chase him down highway with giant closing doors, and ends up in the middle of carrier-dropped elites popping out of drop-pods with energy swords. "Betcha can't stick it" "You're on"

There's a vaguely similar sequence when the M.C. first arrives on earth from the space station, but as soon as he gets out of the Pelican it's all different.

This post has been edited by catgut: Nov 8 2004, 08:15 PM <

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

im pretty sure halo 3 was confirmed for xbox 2 as a launch title.
so what ever kind of cliff hanger ending there is, was mean to sell halo 3.  <

zot23

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (crobar @ Nov 8 2004, 08:48 PM)
im pretty sure halo 3 was confirmed for xbox 2 as a launch title.
so what ever kind of cliff hanger ending there is, was mean to sell halo 3.

Nope.  Xbox 2 is supposed to come out next Fall by most estimates, and one year to make a whole new Halo game for all new hardware?  Doubtful in the extreme.  I would say expect a Halo 3 announcement when the xbox 2 lanuches next year and then waiting a year (or two) for Halo 3.

As far as this game goes, there are one or two disappointments for me:

*  The ending needed to be one more level long.  That ship was BEGGING to be blown up, why start Halo 3 with the climax that should have been in the end of Halo 2?  Doesn't make any sense.

*  Bots.  The AI in this game is pretty slick at helping out and taking cover.  I don't see what would be wrong with having 8 bots in a 4 on 4 multiplayer game to help flush out the teams.  Not a massive loss, but it would have been nice to have a bigger play option without needing 16 players.

I didn't miss the ATV or Warthog varients.  The gauss Warthog is available in multiplayer though, on one of the city levels.  <

ahoatam

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

One more thing to add to the list of BS:

The first two "levels" involve very little player control and no combat.  Of course Bungie can get away with saying there are so many more levels when their classification of a level is so loose. "ooh Halo 2 such an improvement".

When we have, people, is improved multiplayer and that's about it.  In terms of the Halo campaign story, we were duped.  What we got was good, but we simply didn't get enough of it.

*shifts his focus to KotOR 2 and Half-Life 2*

This post has been edited by ahoatam: Nov 8 2004, 10:41 PM <

madienmasher

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »

if they would have made one last level i would be happier but its still good smile.gif * i was waitng for the next level at the end and i was like WTF CREDITS?!* lol mp is great smile.gif
i found the covie campiagn boring .............i liked the mc levels better

jrstevan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »

8 of us have been playing multiplayer since about 1:00am this morning and it is kind of disappointing.  Anyone who has played Unreal Tournament knows what I mean.  Jerky, choppy, animation and tons of spray weapons (dual-weilding machine guns) make it too easy to get a cheap kill.  The sword is even more gay.  Any moron can get a kill with it.  It looks like they took the Unreal graphics engine and put Halo characters in it.  Don't get me wrong, I will play Halo 2, and probably spend tons of hours playing multiplayer.  <

pingrr

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »

I agrea.  The game should have had one more level for the final fight.  The game ended so suddenly that threw my conrtoller against the wall I was so pissed off.  But Other than that I loved the game.  I didn't like it the first time they had you playingt as the covanant.  But later in the game I did find it more enjoyable to play as the covanant.

As for halo 3 who says that the game hasn't been in development for a year now.  Bungie may have a team working on halo 2 and they just keep it real quite.   <
Pages: [1] 2 3