xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Organized Religion  (Read 1194 times)

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Oct 27 2005, 11:35 AM)
Why do i post here?  I originally got onto this forum because i love modding the xbox.  Then while in this section i discovered what i felt was a disproportionately high number of "highly religious" people.  This normally translates to Christian fundamentalists.

No, and that is not even a good excuse. You found maybe 10-15 people who believe in Jesus on a forum with thousands. Yes people who only believe in Jesus(and that is all you knew about them), but you label them as Christian Fundamentalists. You sir are Mr. Label Everyone. You think because you have some knowledge in Mathematics and Science that you are above all and can label people. Then you criticise anyone who makes any label and talk about how that is what is wrong with society. When it all boils down to you being one of those people that you say you have disgust for. You say you hate Christians that act as if they are "fundies", but look in a mirror from time to time, you are just a Science Fundie. You are just on the oppsite side of the fence. You act just as they act, only with a different view. Then you proceed to act as if your view is superior...........................

bluedeath

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »

Im the first to admit that I am an outright jerk and could definately be a better person.  Certainly a better example of a christian can be found.  Here is my backwoods perhaps even tainted view of the whole mess.  Most of the supposed christian organizations in the U.S. are nothing more than glorified businesses.  If you are paid to be at church then I don't believe that you are serving christianity.  It's really that simple to me.  The people that follow these businesses are misguided and seem to be happy with their state of affairs.  As long as they are told what they want to hear then they keep going.

moisty_

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(TheLovingSoundsofStatic @ Oct 27 2005, 06:22 PM)
Gota love the haughty pricks at the bottom of the food chain. jester.gif  laugh.gif  rotfl.gif

puckSR

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

you are just a Science Fundie

Im sorry your going to have to explain this term.  A fundamentalist is normally someone who believes ina the literal translation of a document.  Ex.  The bible

I am a Constitutional Fundie.  I believe in the Constitution of the United States in all of its glory.  I believe that its delegation of authority, and limits on authority of government should be considered absolute.  I believe in civil liberties.

Science, however, is based on observation.  If you are implying that I believe absolutely in observation, then i would agree.  I believe that  observation is the absolute best way to gather information.  In other words, i dont believe in fairies, the Loch Ness monster, or UFOs.  Why?  because while people claim to see them, and many people believe in them, they are not observable.  You cannot tell me to go look up in the sky on Friday at 6 and tell me that i will see a UFO.  

I can tell you to go dig in the ground in certain areas and tell you that you will find fossils.  I can tell you that the genetic structure of organisms evolves, and then you can go do an experiment and prove it.  

This is very different then telling me that you believe in a book.  You can say you only believe in Jesus, but unless you have a 2000 year old friend, the only way you "know" jesus is through your readings of a book about him.

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »

I am a Constitutional Fundie. I believe in the Constitution of the United States in all of its glory. I believe that its delegation of authority, and limits on authority of government should be considered absolute. I believe in civil liberties.

You dont really mean that do you.

The Preamble lists five purposes for the Constitution:

1) Providing for better cooperation among the states
2) Ensuring justice and peace
3) Providing for defense against invasion
4) Promote the general well being of the population
5) Securing liberties now and in the future

None of the above applies to the native peoples thats for darn sure.

The constitution seems to be a document of convience, thats not much worth more than the paper its printed on. Looking at the excepts from the preamble only further reinforce that conclusion.  American government is seriously flawed and off track.

The fourth amendment guards against unreasonable searches, arrests, and seizures of property.

You dont watch cops to often do you. This is the most disregarded sentence in american legislation.

The fifth forbids trial for a major crime except after indictment by a grand jury; prohibits repeated trials for the same offense after an acquittal (except in certain very limited circumstances); forbids punishment without due process of law; and provides that an accused person may not be compelled to testify against himself.

There is always civil court.

The sixth guarantees a speedy public trial for criminal offenses. It requires trial by a jury (of peers), guarantees the right to legal counsel for the accused, and guarantees that the accused may require witnesses to attend the trial and testify in the presence of the accused.

(of peers) thats a new one. Peers equal late to middle aged, cacasian and republican

The eighth forbids excessive bail or fines, and cruel and unusual punishment.

Like firing squad or public hangings

The tenth provides that powers the Constitution does not delegate to the United States and does not prohibit the states from having are "reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This one is the kicker. States rights to be assholes

P.S.
You can say you only believe in Jesus, but unless you have a 2000 year old friend, the only way you "know" jesus is through your readings of a book about him.

Do you "know" George Washington let me guess you read a book about him or you have a 200 year old friend.  

But I guess that makes too much sense, since you cant prove the existance of someone that you have no firsthand knowledge of.  rolleyes.gif

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(puckSR)
How have i labeled anyone defton?

Stop me if i am wrong, but are you or are you not a christian fundamentalist? Let me simplify this, do you believe in the "literal" translation of the bible?

Are you serious? You ask how you have labeled somone and then the very next line is you trying to label me. You do understand that you have called people who believe in Jesus, fundies. Every person that makes a post that you don't like that believes in Jesus, you label them as a fundamentalist. Is that not labeling? I'm being serious, I will dig trough every post you have made and show you all of your labels of people if you want me to.

FUNDAMENTALISM - A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

Not one mention of believing the literal translation of a book. I am going to ask where you came up with that one. I called you a Science fundie for one simple reason that is in the definition, "and often by intolerance of other views". This describes you, if it doesnt follow your Science ways, you have no tolerance for it. History update genius, Science even proves itself wrong at times. Now if you want to appear smart and not stupid, call me a Christian Fundamentalist for that same reason or another reason within the definition.

The Jesus example is exactly what I expect to hear from a lost soul. Jesus is Gods son, he is also God. When a person says they know Jesus, they know him in the spiritual form, not the literal form...................

As for me being a Christian, it is only a word. It is also the only word that is close to describing my belief structure. I don't believe every line in the bible is 100% correct. I understand the book has been translated many of times.

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Oct 28 2005, 08:25 AM)
***********Constitution****************

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Oct 28 2005, 12:11 PM)
but you did not bother to look up the definition in its specific use in Christianity, Judaism, or Islam

I did not need to as you asked how I could call you a Science Fundamentalist......................
QUOTE(puckSR)
Im sorry your going to have to explain this term. A fundamentalist is normally someone who believes ina the literal translation of a document. Ex. The bible

Those were your exact words. Now you are backtracking..................pathetic.
The reason that i accused you of being a fundamentalist is the fact that you do not believe in evolution. 

You become more stupid with every post. If that is your reason, I can accuse you for being a fundamentalist because you don't believe in creation. rolleyes.gif Actually, anyone can accuse anyone of being a fundie if thats all it takes because everyone doesnt believe the same things.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

How about we drop this? You believe what you want to believe and I will believe what I want to believe and we will not label each other.

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »

Evolution is based on massive piles of evidence. These range from similiar species with change through the fossil record, to genetic drift among populations. We have seen evolution occur, and we have forced animals to change. Science has made predictions using evolution...chimps are closely related to humans, and then future scientific study..genetics... found out that they are remarkably similiar compared to other animals.

I still claim adaptation not evolution.

"chimps are closely related to humans" no they arent.

Chimps are related closer to humans than other animals is factual not above.

The moon is closer to the earth than uranus, but this is still a signifcant gap. And we havent observed evolution in the context that you imply.

We actually have stronger support for evolution...it has "happened before our eyes"

I am still waiting for a chimp to evolve to a human and open the zoo door.

So Jesus is not a theory? Unless you can provide me with some direct proof that he exists, then Jesus is a theory

Provide me with proof that George Washington existed? It probably will resemble the proof that Jesus existed. Considering he is the most written about figure in the history of mankind, its pretty arrogant of you to dismiss totality of oral & written history.

Does Israel exist?    

lordvader129

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(xmedia2004 @ Oct 28 2005, 05:05 PM)
Provide me with proof that George Washington existed? It probably will resemble the proof that Jesus existed.

View Post

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Oct 29 2005, 01:15 AM)
If that is how you think of evolution, then your understanding is so seriously flawed that any argument with you is useless.

nsfdheo

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

smile.gif  

puckSR

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »

People are perfectly entitled to their religious beliefs, but religious beliefs are far from being science.  Actually they are the exact opposite of science, and partly the reason that the modern scientific method was designed.

So the main difference in physical characteristics between a chimp and a human is that a book you read once said that God created us in his image, but not chimps.

Really, God must look really funny, since there are so many variations of human kind.  If you are correct, and we are made in the image of God, then God

ranges from 22" to 10' tall
He comes with spots, without them, in black, white, and shades of tan inbetween.
has both male and female genitalia
has breasts
can weight up to 1000lbs or as little as 40
is hateful,loving, cruel,kind, gay and straight
loves bondage, cannabalism, and walks on the beach
can be completely covered in course hair, or have no pigment over his entire body
can be very muscular, or incredibly weak
can be missing various parts of his body

Your God is one awkward looking fellow, and he closely resembles a chimp

nsfdheo

• Archived User
Organized Religion
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15