xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 13k On A Car  (Read 1987 times)

DOS4GW

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (jonnyschultze @ Sep 29 2004, 03:59 AM)
Mercedes and BMW's are nice, but realistically, who's would pay the insurance? (17 year old + high end luxury car = big $$$$!) Secondly, you have to look at the fact that a three year old car typically won't have warranty anymore. Thirdly, you have to look at something that you can get serviced locally, i.e. your local fixit shop won't be able to fix some foreign cars, and if the nearest BMW dealer is 40 miles away, you have to pay for towing.

If I were you, I'd look at something NEW (2004), there is huge rebates and discounts for the year end, and for the money you can find a lot of decent cars out there, with FULL warranty, and then you also won't be buying someone elses problems.
Personally - I recommend Mitsubishi, they have a hell of a warranty and the cars seem to never need service work, unlike most US cars.

Heh, fun thing you mention car repairs. You know BMW and Mercedes doesn't tend to break down very often - they're not like Ford. I don't see this as an issue at all.

Are the BMW 323 and MB C 230 seen as "luxury cars"? Both of these are common, safe, economic cars. You pay alittle more when they're new, for the quality - unlike the japs wich you refeer to.

If there's an issue with the insurance he can set the car in an older family member's name.

DOS4GW

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 08:28:00 PM »

If you like it, you go for it.

Btw, bring a friend or someone you know who has good knowledge of cars when you are to pick it up.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif  mattered and thus it's my current car.

fishlord

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (DOS4GW @ Sep 29 2004, 04:19 AM)

Are the BMW 323

323?? 320 perhaps?

The new tiburons are pretty nice but if you are tall dont get one... seriously it is frigging rediculous.

dietrite

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »

if i had $13k, i would put it away to save up about $13k more...(which is easier said than done) and buy my beloved dream car (below)
user posted image

*sniff*... anyways, u need to figure out what you need in a car (see rylinkus's post)

DOS4GW

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 05:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (fishlord @ Sep 29 2004, 08:11 AM)
323?? 320 perhaps?

The new tiburons are pretty nice but if you are tall dont get one... seriously it is frigging rediculous.

Interesting to see everyone starting to mention street racing cars when this guy isn't interested in cars.

nemt

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

The 323 is no longer in production, nor is the 328...I guess Germans are only good with multiples of 5: 325 and 330.  The 318 isn't around anymore either!

Anyway, even a used BMW is out of his price range...and buying a non-m BMW is a waste.

Baner

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

wink.gif
But seriously, you want a car, truck, Suv?
Foriegn? Domestic?
Fast, economic, a peice of crap?

dietrite

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (jaysoccer7c @ Sep 29 2004, 12:39 PM)
car, used, 13k, anything that looks good really  huh.gif , automatic preferably, fast is good i hit 90 on an average day  biggrin.gif , of course gas mileage is a plus, again i really dont know much thanks for all ur help guys...again if u recommend a car plz let me see an autotrader link of it thanks  biggrin.gif

domestic, import, no preference?

dietrite

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »

how about a 1996 prelude si

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2&category=6259

whatchu think about that, it's fast and a good commuter car, looks nice too

DOS4GW

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (nemt @ Sep 29 2004, 05:57 PM)
The 323 is no longer in production, nor is the 328...I guess Germans are only good with multiples of 5: 325 and 330.  The 318 isn't around anymore either!

Anyway, even a used BMW is out of his price range...and buying a non-m BMW is a waste.

Heh, I said 1999 323.

BMW 323 1999

jonnyschultze

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

Heh, fun thing you mention car repairs. You know BMW and Mercedes doesn't tend to break down very often - they're not like Ford. I don't see this as an issue at all.

Yeah, I know BMW and M-B don't break down that often, but when they do, grab the vaseline. Parts are expensive, and you usually have to use genuine because aftermarket don't make parts for them. I don't care what make you buy, you'll have to do maintenance and repairs. Brakes and belts and lights don't last forever.

Are the BMW 323 and MB C 230 seen as "luxury cars"? Both of these are common, safe, economic cars. You pay alittle more when they're new, for the quality - unlike the japs wich you refeer to.

No there not seen as luxury cars. They're seen as cheaper, shittier made cars aimed at folks who think that driving a $30,000 M-B puts them higher on the status ladder than those who drive a $30,000 American car. Here, the quality between the foreign and US is comparable. You don't pay more for quality, you pay more for name.

I suggested Mitsubishi because for around 13k you can buy a new Lancer decently equipped, with 0 miles and 7year/100k warranty.

Another thing with auction vehicles: you have to remember that they are at the auction for a reason. I work for a dealership (yes, Mitsubishi, along with Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge), and the other day we took in 98 subaru Impreza with 45k miles on trade, and the engine sounded real ticky (lifter noise). We added a quart of real thick oil to the engine to take care of tick noise long enough for it to go through the auction. Whoever buys the car will have a ticky engine after a couple of oil changes. Yes, this sounds dirty, but this happens EVERYWHERE ! A lot of cars on a used car lot come from auction. Keep this in mind when used car shopping, and ask the person whose selling it what kind of history it has. If it was a trade in, ask if you can talk to the previous owner. it never hurts. A lot of late model cars come from a corporation auction, which means most of them are previous rental cars. They don't have the dirty tricks put into them, but may have had a rough life. (Picture Days of Thunder movie when they are racing the rentals). Hopefully my pointers will help keep you from becoming a sucker on a car lot!

Rylinkus

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

LOL Mitsubishi and Reliable in the same sentence.... Oh wait, I've got it....

"A Mistubishi is very rarely reliable"

I'll be the last to say I don't want an EVO and wouldn't keep myself very amused driving one, but I'd be planning on doing a lot of wrench turning too. Mitsubishi cars ARE NOT known for their reliability. Perhaps working at a dealership has made you jaded. I don't know. Consistently among the most reliable vehichles on the road, (From various surveys/tests) are Nissan, Toyota, and Honda. I'd say any of them is a safe bet. Were it me and all I wanted was something that would run forever I'd find it very hard to not look at a Civic that's a few years old. Or a Prelude or Integra of the same years. Bear in mind that any of these are considered "Sports cars" by high school students everywhere so making sure to find one that's adult driven is a key point. The Prelude is only a 2 door, while the Teg and Civic come in 2 door and 4 door forms, the Civic in a hatch as well.

Toyota.... well honestly I can't think of too much on the market by Toyota that I like. Maybe one of their trucks. They just don't have a sporty or semi sporty car that blows me away.

Nissan has some wonderful cars on the market IMO. The Maxima and Altima are both very stylish. (The nicest looking sedans without going into a very high price range from my point of view) Fairly powerful. No complaints.

The Hyundai is a cool looking little car. There reliability has certainly improved over the last few years, but I don't know if I'd sell the farm just yet to invest in em.

Other cars Ill mention in passing that you may want to consider.... Mazda 6 or 3 if you can find one in your price range. The newer Cavaliers that have the Ecotech engine. The Focus ZX3 with the PZEV engine seems promising though I don't know if it's available in Automatic. I've heard good things about the Pontiac Grand Ams recently.

The BEST car for your money is a REALLY tough call. There's a lot of personal needs and preferences that weigh in. If you were to ask me what the best car for MY 13K was and then my dad, I can promise you'd get very different answers. We just desire different things in a car. I'd probably be looking for an RX7 or something else sporty.

You need to think through this decision a little man. 13K is a lot to drop on a vehichle based on looks. You do need to drive the thing too. Maybe test drive a few cars and see if anything feels better then others. Or try to decide if you'll need 4 doors, or a big trunk, or would a hatch be nice. There's plenty of nice cars on the markets and 13K should allow you to buy something that's fairly decent, especially for being 17. The trick is to find something that suits you well.

I didn't find a bunch of links since it would be amazingly time consuming and my laptops power cord is being difficult right now. If you feel like hitting me up with an IM @ anytime, that's cool too. Rylinkus13 on AIM. I'm always up for a chat.

pokinatcha

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 09:25:00 AM »

Hey kid, get a bike. End of discussion.

fishlord

• Archived User
13k On A Car
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (pokinatcha @ Sep 30 2004, 05:28 PM)
Hey kid, get a bike. End of discussion.

?  mhmm...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5