xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: The "game Synopsis" Option  (Read 2094 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
The "game Synopsis" Option
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »

If you guys think this is doable by CRC, and the screenshots as well, then by all means make it happen.

Just warning you that you're now talking about things that are over my head so I won't be able to help, and that the only CRCs that I'm testing for the Xtras sets are the ones that will be included in my datfiles.  I won't be testing any other versions after I've found roms that work.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »

If I get what you're saying, I think that would be the best way.  Just work off the CRCs from my datfile as a base, add any of your own for the differences (I know you said a lot of Colecovision games were different) and then people can add new ones if they want to.

I really don't know anything about that sort of thing though.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

I'm not sure.  But I had some sets where my CRC's (aka ROMS) were different from RessX's.  I'm not sure if his .dat files reflect that.  Although I forgot which systems they were (7800, colecovision, lynx?).   uhh.gif

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

Hey Gilles,

I got the datfiles that you're using by running clrmamepro on the roms after I have them all organized.  Glad they're making your job easier on you.

Unfortunately, there are different CRC's for games that other people have, madmab included.  If there were a way to have multiple CRC's, that would probably be the best.  

This is why I'm so damn confused why my datfile would work if I rename the rom to the same name as the zip.  If you still don't have the same CRC, it doesn't even make sense to me that the datfile would pick up your rom.  Nobody has ever explained this to me.

The only CRCs I will be providing though are the ones in my datfiles.  I've got too much going on otherwise to go back and re-test, de-dupe and rename another set for every system after I've alrady done about 12 of them.

Hope you guys figure out the easiest way to do this.

~Rx

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

COLECOVISION synopsis completed (all synopsis, all roms names, all crc?)

COLECOVISION_synopsis_by_Gilou9999

So, i ask again ph34r.gif
Someone know where i can find all the colecovision crc?a complete .dat somewhere?

oh, all the collecovision commercial games have synopsis,wich is good!
homebrew, unreleased don't because there isn't interest (and too much work for nothing)
only the commercial games need a synopsis (that's already a big task)pop.gif

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »

did you try looking for good dats or no-intro dats?  Unfortunately, the only time I've ever used a dat for a system before was for MAME.  Good sets should have every available CRC for the sets (or at least I thought it should, but I'm a little suspicious of that now since some people seem to have problems with my dats even though there are Goodsets out there that should cover them all.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »

I can always update your synposis with any CRC's that I have that are different.  I'd prefer a comma to seperate the different CRC's btw.  wink.gif  Oh, and in the format Nes6502 suggested.  Maybe, I have not decided yet.  laugh.gif

9cc3fabc,4ffb4e8c
Alcazar (1985) (Activision).col
Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress
Genre: Action > General
Release Data: 1985      US
Developer: Telegames, Inc.
In this adventure game you control an explorer who's on his way
to fortress Alcazar.To reach Alcazar you are travelling through
a countryside of fortresses and you need  to collect several items
that you can find along the way. Once you enter the Alcazar
fortress you have to search for the crown.

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »

What you will do will be good
If you want me to change the structure of the colecovision synopsis.txt
just say me and i'll change it

I know the synopsis are a "plus"
if a user want to see them:fine click on the right thumbstick
if he don't want to see them :no problem, don't click on the right thumbstick while on the rombrowse (or unmap the button)
I suggest if a obscure game don't have synopsis todisplay something like "no synopsis yet"

But you are the boss madmab, do what you want with the colecovision synopsis.txt (at least give a try wink.gif )

RMM

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

I think it would be helpful to include some some kind of instructions/game controls/tips section to help gamers.  How many times have you started a game and not known how to play it?  A Synopsis kind of helps but it probably wont give enough detail into what the full objectives are and how to play the game.  Of course something like this would have to be written by users and would take a long time for each system but if you include this function it is something that could built upon not only for current emulator use -and not just XBox specific- but any emulators coded in the future could take advantage of it.

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(RMM @ Oct 11 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post

I think it would be helpful to include some some kind of instructions/game controls/tips section to help gamers.

It's not the same thing,
look at mame (mame32 for pc for example), if you want to know the game controls mame open a new window , and it shows you the game controls.If you want to know the synopsis mame open a new window with the synopsis

I think the synopsis and the game control must be 2 differents files, it's more faster for the user; example of mame32,in the "in game menu" the user can see directly the differents options "game controls" or "mame history" and choose wich one he wants to see.

So, in the future, it would be totally rock and roll to have 2 files:
- the "system synopsis.txt" (eventually tips in it, I simply don't have any coleco tips! ph34r.gif )
- the "system games controls.txt"(for systems like nes,master system, genesis, snes etc... you can find all the controls for each games in  gamefaqs.com)

Synopsis have real interest:see my colecovision all synopsis, it explain (brievly but it explain) what you can expect in all the levels of each game,it's cool because often, you play a game 5mn and say "this game boring me",bad because perhaps there is really good things in the later levels! Plus With the synopsis you know when the game was released, who develop it (interesting to know some obscure studios closed  even if their game was great etc...)

Mame has synopsis for it's games, i don't see why it shouldn't be the case for the great old systems

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

There is a small collection like you mention so far for the SNES run.  We took .txt files from Gamefaqs.com and formatted them so they'd fit the screen well.  I'd love this option included in the emulator myself.

Hey Madmab!  Can you put a text file viewer in the "in-game" menu when you press the right trigger that allows you to view a faq for the game if you have one?  Similar to the "in-game" menu for the game manual, but it shows .txt files instead.  The could all be put in a folder called "gamefaqs" by default.

~Rx

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

Yo rez' it already exists, it is in "game utilities/view text file" (you can reach it even in the in game menu)
ah, another good thing about that "system synopsis.txt":it allows the coder to break one rule of the xbox:the fatx convention (like Guybird said)
if you are displaying my synopsis by matching the crc(or rom name),
the user will see the full name of the game ex "Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator"
instead of "Star Trek Strategic Ops Simulator" it's just one example (there's not too much long names in the coleco list,but in the nes and snes list!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) )

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »

That's a cool bonus to the game synopsis.  I've tried my best to make all the names look great, but that would be cool too.

Hopefully we can just make "View gamefaq" an option right in the "in-game" menu which defaults at the directory "x-emu\gamefaqs" or "D:\gamefaqs" in the future.  It's a nice option and shouldn't be buried.

~Rx

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

I was dreaming just today that I was working on the synopsis code.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  I do that often for whatever reason.  Anyways I have a pretty good idea of how I'll get it to work.

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Oct 12 2008, 02:15 AM) View Post

I was dreaming just today that I was working on the synopsis code.  laugh.gif  I do that often for whatever reason.  Anyways I have a pretty good idea of how I'll get it to work.

If you can add this "plus" to the colecovision, just one word:fantastic! beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13