xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dosxbox V11  (Read 453 times)

XPort

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »

DOSXBox 286/386 PC Emulator port for XBox v11

http://xport.xbox-scene.com

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

What's New :

- Previous joystick-as-mouse fix was affecting USB mice.  This
   is fixed.  USB mice should work like they did in v9.

- It was still possible to change software filters via the In Game Options
   menu.  Software Filters are disabled in DOSXBox due to memory constraints.
   This is now fixed.  (Meaning that if you try and change the software filter
   via the In Game Options menu, nothing will happen.)

- Pressing the BLACK button on the game selection menu now properly deletes
   all of the settings files associated with a game.

- When a new stub-file is created (when it asks for a game name) the directory
   is rescanned so that the file will appear in the listing.  The stub-files
   have an extension of ".DOS"

Stella, Gnuboy, SMSPlus, FCEUltra, HUGO, NeoPop, DGen, Bochs, HUGO-CD,
FMSXBox, Bliss, WinSTon, Gens, Z26X, StepmaniaX, PCSXBox, XBoyAdvance,
DOSXBox, AtariXLBox, MirrorMagicX, KoboX, MaelstromX, MarblesX, Vice64X,
Vice20X, VicePETX, KegsX, XPired, AdamX, WonderSwanX, BeatsOfRageX,
PowermangaX, LynxBox, BlueMSXBox, GladiatorX, AmphetamineX, StarfighterX,
PachiX, BlobWarsX, OdysseyX, ArnoldX, X68000X, WinUAEX, MekaX,
MednafenX-NES, MednafenX-PCE, MednafenX-Lynx, AbuseX, PokemonMiniX,
Classic99X, SoftVMUX, VirtualBoyX, SuperVisionX, Chip8X, Atari7800X

What's next?

Enjoy!

Hoyt

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

I have been searching for this on the usual place, but can't find it (I was looking hardest under Emulators).

Can anyone let me know the directory it is in?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Ignore this post, I wasn't thinking in terms of an X86 emulator, which is what it is and where it was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Hoyt: Jan 26 2007, 06:26 PM

marathont

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »

Did you check x86 emulators

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

These updates for DosBox just keep popping up!  biggrin.gif

Great Job Xport, trying it out later.

Retroplay

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

I don't know if this still occur in v11 because I've not had the chance to try it yet but here goes.
When taking a screenshot it always saves it in a folder named "gamedata" in the screenshots folder on E:\, not in the respective folder for the game.
I then have to manually move the screenshots to the correct folders after exiting DOSXbox.

Rotfloljfk

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Jan 26 2007, 03:36 PM) View Post

I don't know if this still occur in v11 because I've not had the chance to try it yet but here goes.
When taking a screenshot it always saves it in a folder named "gamedata" in the screenshots folder on E:\, not in the respective folder for the game.
I then have to manually move the screenshots to the correct folders after exiting DOSXbox.

I've actually never used DOSXBOX before, or even played any DOS games, but usually in most emulators there is a cfg.txt ot path(s).txt where you can change the default directories for stuff like that.

Retroplay

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

The path is correct in the settings and it's only DOSXbox v10 (and possibly v11) that does it.

Party Animal

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »

Hey Xport,
Do you intend on updating your DOSxBox homepage to reflect the current version?
http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

harlekin

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »

I can confirm the screenshot problem too.
Instead of saving them to */GAMENAME/ Dosxbox saves them  to */gamedata/ and yes, this does effect v11 as well.
Also the pictures beside the games aren't displayed in the launch or favourites menu anymore, if that game hasn't already a folder from previous Dosxbox versions.

The same problem seems to be related to savefiles where no dir */GAMENAME/ seems to be created if it doesn't already exist. Im not quite sure about that, but I had all sorts of problems with the savefiles and found myself in the situation that I had to delete savefiles for GAME.exe's and GAME.dos's using the black button, because i couldn't find them elsewhere (certainly not in my savegame dir, and the savegame management utilitiy, but somehow(and somewere) the config of the game was saved). Also what's the whole thing about configuring the *.dos files seperatly of the game itself? And where would those savefiles be stored at?

There seems to be a major flaw to the whole GAMENAME.dos idea, as it stands right now.

edit: Btw. USB-mice work fine again in v11. Thanks for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
edit2:

I just found out, that newly created savegame folders aren't stored in E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX/*gamename* (savegame path not customized), instead they will be created as E:/SAVES/*gamename*. When I deleted them, the folders where empty, im not sure if thats because I've deleted the cfg files using the black button, or if simply no files got writen in there.

This post has been edited by harlekin: Jan 27 2007, 03:15 AM

Mr Do!

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »

Fred_PJ

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 05:19:00 AM »

I made a few small updates to J-RED's skin just in case Dosxbox needs to be updated again:

Replaced "2003" with "2007":
(IMG:http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2465/emuloadbkgjf7.png)
(Save and rename as "emuloadbkg.png")

Replaced the old controller with the newer Controller S and changed the bars' color a bit:
(IMG:http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/935/mainrq6.png)
(Save and rename as "main.png")

This post has been edited by Fred_PJ: Jan 29 2007, 01:20 PM

enderandrew

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »

What about all the patches from:

http://vogons.zetafl...pic.php?t=9306=

Some of the patches include DirectX hardware scaling, the ability to mount zip files, etc.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »

This is my far the most excellent program one could possibly find online.

I can't begin to express my thanks and gratitude for the quality of work put into this build.  :o)

I just have one note to make.

I almost always have my mouse sensitivity set to 1 and even that can be too fast at times.

Anyway, if I bring up the virtual keyboard and then escape out of it, the mouse cursor screams across the screen at 100 miles an hour until it resets back to the low setting (it usually takes around 3 to 4 seconds).

It seems like every time I bring up the virtual keyboard, DosXbox loses the mouse setting (I'm just using a regular Xbox controller) and after I escape out of the keyboard it tries to reconfigure the mouse again.

Is there a way for it to "lock on" to my settings without this always happening?

Also, is there a way to change the mouse sensitivity back and forth during a game?  There are a few games where I would like the mouse to move normally but at certain times I would like the cursor to move extremely slow (like cutting an incision in the game Life or Death 2).

Thanks, and again, awesome release!  :o)

XPort

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(harlekin @ Jan 26 2007, 08:35 PM) View Post

I can confirm the screenshot problem too.
Instead of saving them to */GAMENAME/ Dosxbox saves them  to */gamedata/ and yes, this does effect v11 as well.
Also the pictures beside the games aren't displayed in the launch or favourites menu anymore, if that game hasn't already a folder from previous Dosxbox versions.

The same problem seems to be related to savefiles where no dir */GAMENAME/ seems to be created if it doesn't already exist. Im not quite sure about that, but I had all sorts of problems with the savefiles and found myself in the situation that I had to delete savefiles for GAME.exe's and GAME.dos's using the black button, because i couldn't find them elsewhere (certainly not in my savegame dir, and the savegame management utilitiy, but somehow(and somewere) the config of the game was saved). Also what's the whole thing about configuring the *.dos files seperatly of the game itself? And where would those savefiles be stored at?

There seems to be a major flaw to the whole GAMENAME.dos idea, as it stands right now.

I just found out, that newly created savegame folders aren't stored in E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX/*gamename* (savegame path not customized), instead they will be created as E:/SAVES/*gamename*. When I deleted them, the folders where empty, im not sure if thats because I've deleted the cfg files using the black button, or if simply no files got writen in there.

The screenshot problem will be fixed in v12.

As mentioned in v10, all configuration data for all games will have to be redone - which is probably what's causing your confusion.  Any new configurations are saved correctly (albeit in a different location).  They are saved under E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX/FULL/PATH/TO/GAMENAME.EXT.  If you put your games in the /DOSFILES directory alongside the DEFAULT.XBE, then the path to the savefiles will probably be something like E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX/DOSFILES/GAMENAME.EXT/.  The only way they could be saved to someplace other than underneath E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX is if you changed your default save path.  

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Jan 29 2007, 08:18 AM) View Post

What about all the patches from:

http://vogons.zetafl...pic.php?t=9306=

Some of the patches include DirectX hardware scaling, the ability to mount zip files, etc.

Hardware scaling has been a feature in all my projects from nearly the beginning (adjust screen size).  Mounting ZIP files would cause a number of problems.  Everything else is either already in DosBox-stable or in DosBox-CVS.  If it's not in the stable release, however, I'd rather not add it to the XBox version.  

QUOTE(Smothermunchie @ Jan 29 2007, 12:00 PM) View Post

I almost always have my mouse sensitivity set to 1 and even that can be too fast at times.

Anyway, if I bring up the virtual keyboard and then escape out of it, the mouse cursor screams across the screen at 100 miles an hour until it resets back to the low setting (it usually takes around 3 to 4 seconds).

It seems like every time I bring up the virtual keyboard, DosXbox loses the mouse setting (I'm just using a regular Xbox controller) and after I escape out of the keyboard it tries to reconfigure the mouse again.

Is there a way for it to "lock on" to my settings without this always happening?

Also, is there a way to change the mouse sensitivity back and forth during a game?  There are a few games where I would like the mouse to move normally but at certain times I would like the cursor to move extremely slow (like cutting an incision in the game Life or Death 2).

I'll look into making the bottom threshold slower.  Unfortunately, in order to optimize speed, the mouse will behave like you described with the on-screen-keyboard.  And no there is no way to flip between mouse sensitivities, but I'll look into adding it to the In Game Options menu.  

harlekin

• Archived User
Dosxbox V11
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:00 AM »

@Xport: Thank you for the information on the new savepath. I have most of my games stored in */games/ where * is the dir that the default.xbe of DosXbox is in. I've just checked if there is a folder in E:/SAVES/DOSXBOX/ called "games" and indeed there is, filled with all the V11 savegames, I assume. wink.gif

(I've also got a /SAVES/emulators/ (/dosxbox/games/gamename/) folder in the /SAVES/ dir that I assume got created either when I used a different favourites entry (one with the exact path instead of D:/ ), or manualy navigated outside D:/ while I was configuring the settings of th game. So I have to say I'd prefere the old save path, where there was a fixed dir for everything (allthough I can see that this might have caused problems with games that had the same folder structure/name.)

The (empty) /GAMENAME/ folders remain even if you delete the config files for that specific game using the black button, you might want to fix this in V12 as well (allthough I really don't care too much.. wink.gif ).

Allthough I still wonder why those /GAMENAME/ folders got created in */SAVES/

One last question on the new savestate option: *.dos files get their own save folder, so should we just skip the *.exe's configuration screen and start right with the *.dos file (once it got created), or should we still configure the games *.exe?