xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Copy Mp3 From Pc To Xbox Hdd  (Read 86 times)

copter_

• Archived User
Copy Mp3 From Pc To Xbox Hdd
« on: November 19, 2003, 02:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (NooBster @ Nov 19 2003, 10:14 AM)
Hi All,

Pretty new to all this, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to copy mp3s to the xbox hdd, I hooked the box up to my network, but when I want to copy mp3s from my pc to the xbox, it doesnt like the long filenames.

Is there any way to let the xbox accept those names, or somekind of tool that automatically makes them shorter for the xbox?

Thanks for your time!

you can use some mass renaming tool to rename the files before transferring them. there are plenty of different free tools for this purpose and one can be found from here. also i remember reading that developers of avalaunch added support for illegal (read long) filenames into avalaunch, but i haven't tried it and i have no experience from it or how well it works.

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

I have pretty lengthy file names for most of my music (including the directory, stuff like Rage Against the Machine - 1992 - Rage Against the Machine//Rage Against the Machine - 01 - Bombtrack.mp3 ---> transferred fine through Avalaunch and FlashFXP).  If that will transfer, I think others might too!  Give it a try, and if not, oh well, rename the files real quick.

NooBster

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »

Ok transferring files via flashfxp to avalaunch ftp doenst work for me, at least, not with the long filenames, it keeps rejecting them.

Is there a way to transfer them to the ftp of Mediacenter, I noticed I can enable the ftp in Mediacenter, or is there just no way that the xbox will allow longer filenames?

ZakMcRofl

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »

The XBox Filesystem only supports 40 characters, however you can have more if you use a streaming server like relax.
You set that up on your PC and it shares your MP3 files to the Xbox.
However it does require a permanent connection whenever you wanna play those files.
Regards, Zak

NooBster

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 02:21:00 AM »

Thanks man, that was the info I was looking for..
Gonna use my xbox as a music server for someone's birthday, so no relax network available over there...

Thanks for the info..