xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burner, Media Or Xbox With Backups?  (Read 46 times)

chefelf

• Archived User
Burner, Media Or Xbox With Backups?
« on: September 03, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »

emu82

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

If I were to go for a new dvd burner which I am prob gonna do, whihc model would anyone recommend? I hear the Nec 2500, Pioneer 107 's are good burners although there is the Pioneer 107D? If anyone could pass on their personal recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again

eMu beerchug.gif

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »

Sounds like a media problem.  I'd try changing the firmware in your burner and trying some different media before buying a new drive.  Also, you could try burning on the same media on a friend's burner and see if it works any better.  If it does, it is your burner then.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »

In this case, I disagree.  I have been spending quite a bit of time over at CDfreaks lately and the Lite-Ons (despite firmware upgrades) have consistantly been giving higher error rates for the same media when compared to the NEC or Pioneer.  Why bother trying to play games figuring out which media to match with a fussy burner when you can get either of the above (make sure you upgrade the firmware if you get the NEC 2500A).  There is no better match for burner/media than Pioneer and Ritek/Ridata. wink.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »

That is a myth.  Plenty of evidence over at cdfreaks that suggest that slower burns aren't necesserily better.  Burn speed depends 1. On your burner/firmware.  2. Media that you are using.  Given the fact that Datasafe isn't one of the better quality brands out there (although their Ritek dye ones aren't too bad) it isn't surprising that you have had burn speed issues.  I am simply saying that even with firmware upgrades/downgrades that it would be better for him to pitch his Lite-On and get a burner that isn't nearly as fussy (ie Pioneer or an NEC with a firmware upgrade).

emu82

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 03:30:00 AM »

Id like to thank all those that had replied to my post and all the info that was supplied. Much appreciated. I would have to agree with jesterrace777 about the comment 'Why bother trying to play games figuring out which media to match with a fussy burner' I have had a few problems with my burner and have just come to the conclusion of getting a new one is easiest option as its cheap enough. jesterrace777 I was just wondering if you could guide me in the right direction as to which burner and firmware to upgrade to when I get one?.? I was looking at the latest pioneer model u suggested in another post, cant remember the model. If you could help me it would much appreciated.

I would like to thank all tjhose again for your input.

eMu
beerchug.gif

Note: jesterrace777 - the dvd writer I may purchase is the:
Pioneer DVR-108 Double Layer Dual 16x DVD-R/RW
If I remember rightly this is one of the writers you highly recommend in one of your other posts and goes well with Riteks?.?.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »

Yup, the Pioneer writers in general are simply the most compatible burners with Ritek, right out of the box.  Judging from the wording in your posts, I am guessing you are from the UK (don't shoot me if you aren't).  In the UK, http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk gets alot of praise and has great prices.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »

With the Pioneer, it should be fine right out of the box but, experience has taught me that it is a case by case basis.  Most get their Pioneer burners to work fine right out of the box, some have to upgrade the firmware.  Given all of the firmware upgrade options for the Pioneer though (and that they are reliable firmwares) you should be just fine either way.  So try it first and see how it performs, if you have problems then try updating the firmware.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

Not anymore, you aren't.  This was just released within the last 24 hours. biggrin.gif

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10508

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (xction @ Sep 16 2004, 11:20 PM)
emu82 let me know how yours 108 do,
I am having trouble with mines i have xp sp1 with the latest nero and the latest flimware 1.10 and im using riteks - and + media on a 1.5 xbox philips drive

BTW what speed are you burning at?  Also I seem to remember that some batches of Phillips drives were ultra-picky with what they read for media.  The new V1.6 Phillips drives are supposed to be excellent but some previous versions were really crappy.

africamagical

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

nothing but good experience with me and my pioneer a04