xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Still No Sightings Of A600?  (Read 330 times)

Clockface

• Archived User
Still No Sightings Of A600?
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »

As many of us will recall, last December, A600 (who produced such brilliant XBox ports as XDuke, XShadow, XDescent, XHexen and XHeritic) reappeared out of nowhere, and announced that he was soon to release:

xZDoom, xHexen2, xAleph, updated ports of XDuke and XShadow, and also said "Turbo OutRun now is playable on the Xbox." and "I want to release 20 or more projects (ports and emus) for the xbox but not until they are almost perfect", and (of XZDoom) "It supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife; there are hundreds of mods that are compatible only with ZDoom; it has true widescreen video modes, adlib music emulation, a very active mods community... and the most important reason: it runs fullspeed on the Xbox. I ported Vavoom (another Doom, Heretic,.. engine) but sadly, it was too slow; it's a shame because IMHO, is the best Doom engine out there.". Wow!

...and then he disappeared again  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

His last post was dated December 15th, 2006, and I can't find any post by him since then. Does anyone know anything about him, or if he'll be coming back to this board at any time? Has anybody heard from him since his last post?

XZDoom, XAleph (the Marathon trilogy) and so on. How great would they be? Plus they'd make the wait for a reliably designed 360 easier...

killergorilla

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Well he's still alive because he logged on to EAB (English Amiga Board) yesterday!

Other than that, I can't tell ya much more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Sep 17 2007, 07:11 PM) *

I want to release 20 or more projects (ports and emus) for the xbox but not until they are almost perfect

Now, that's a very time consuming job, perhaps that's the reason.

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(killergorilla @ Sep 18 2007, 02:26 AM) *

Well he's still alive because he logged on to EAB (English Amiga Board) yesterday!

Other than that, I can't tell ya much more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, right. So he is still around. Forgive me for asking, but if you're a member on that board, could you please send him a private mail asking him about his XBox programs, and maybe ask him to post the status on this board (XBox-scene)? If you don't want to do so, then fair enough, could you post the address of the board, and I'll sign up and try to contact him myself.

Assuming it's the same bloke, then at least we know he's alright, which is great news, even if he doesn't want to have anything more to do with the XBox, for some reason.

Mandoz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

Maybe he will release some new ports.Check this thread (first post): http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30226&page=2

killergorilla

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »

Well I've PM'd him, we'll see!

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »

Great, thanks. Let's hope we're soon playing XZDoom, XHexen 2, XDuke with the ability to save the games with their dates and times, etc.

EDX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »

I, above anything else, would love to see a port of aleph one to xbox... Marathon is one of my favorite games.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »

I have to admit, I'm very dissapointed in A600, and with good reason. Alright, so he doesn't owe us any of these ports, but since he said that he'd be making them available, and then failed to do so, he does at least owe us an explanation. I personally have logged on here almost every day since well before last Christmas,  to learn news of (and hopefully download) his ports, but there's been nothing at all from him regarding the status of either the ports or his future plans. It's been near enough a year now, and we've heard nothing at all, when one post (one simple, lousy post, which would have taken him two minutes) would have sufficed. Something like:

"I'm sorry, but for the forseeable future, I'm not likely to be releasing the aforementioned ports, as [reason].

If the situation changes, then you'll read about it here
"

Would that be too much to ask?

I am very grateful to A600 for his brilliant work so far, XDuke and XShadow have given me much pleasure, and are up there with my favourite XBox games, such as Unreal Championship 2, Chronicles of Riddick, and Timesplitters 3. And if there is a real reason why A600 cannot proceed with his work (maybe Microsoft have been onto him, I dunno) then it's regretable but understandable. But for whatever reason, he should have let us know that we shouldn't expect the ports, at least not for some time. That would be only fair to us.

If you read this, A600, then yes I am dissapointed by your attitude, but I am also grateful for your work so far, and again I thank you for XDuke and XShadow. Please let us know, if you can, what plans (if any) you have for your XBox ports.

Clockface.

redefinedx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

xzdoom would have been so much fun   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

Well, Christmas has come and gone, and no sign of A600 or his new/updated projects. I wasn't exactly expecting a Christmas post from him, but it would have been nice...

Anyway, since it looks like he has left the scene permanently, did he ever release the source code to his ports? If so, then hopefully someone could modify them slightly so that they name the saves as

[mod name] [data] [time]

so we know which save games are for which mod. i.e. for XDuke, the save games would be named:

Starship Troopers 27/12/07 10:45:23
White House 28/12/07 16:12:06
31/12/07 01:23:48

(the third one above is for when no mod is loaded, it's just the original Duke Nukem wad loaded, so no mod is mentioned in the game save's name).

Even better would be, as A600 said he was going to add, if each mod had it's own set of save slots, so each mod would have all save slots for itself, and simply by load a mod you'd then automatically have access to it's save slots. This might mean adding a memory save menu, where you could delete unwanted save banks for mods you'd no longer want to play.