xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3d Titles \ Action For Xtra's Project  (Read 145 times)

cbagy

• Archived User
3d Titles \ Action For Xtra's Project
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »

Done and dusted anyway, thanks for your input all the same.

Skater4599

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

Hey cbagy, just saw this.  I really like it, think it would look nice as long as it fits into the skin/the box where the screenshot is smile.gif

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

No boxes necessary, that's what this 3d thing is all about for me.
The elements of the 3d Boxart and these title shot's in effect become the preview frame but at a much lower memory cost.
Think how lousy a 3d image would look framed in a box !
If no preview "boxes" are used for artwork then the skin sprite count is reduced, therefore freeing precious memory resources that can be used for something far more exicing than preview "boxes".
Background gameselect video perhaps ?
Preview boxes are so 90's and basic, we have to get away from this mentality.

Of course that's just my opinion, my emu's are set using this artwork and in all honesty it all looks that bit funkier, of course other skins will have to be configured to make best use of them. My set-up runs that bit quicker and has more free memory available. In fact using this kind of artwork means that no sprites are even needed at all and the skin can still remain a dynamic one.

It's your choice.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(cbagy @ May 11 2010, 04:46 PM) View Post

No boxes necessary, that's what this 3d thing is all about for me.
The elements of the 3d Boxart and these title shot's in effect become the preview frame but at a much lower memory cost.
Think how lousy a 3d image would look framed in a box !
If no preview "boxes" are used for artwork then the skin sprite count is reduced, therefore freeing precious memory resources that can be used for something far more exicing than preview "boxes".
Background gameselect video perhaps ?
Preview boxes are so 90's and basic, we have to get away from this mentality.

Of course that's just my opinion, my emu's are set using this artwork and in all honesty it all looks that bit funkier, of course other skins will have to be configured to make best use of them. My set-up runs that bit quicker and has more free memory available. In fact using this kind of artwork means that no sprites are even needed at all and the skin can still remain a dynamic one.

It's your choice.

hmmmm... perhaps in the future I will have a configuration on my skins with no boxes for people with the 3D art. Looks pretty cool.

YRUSirius

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »

If I would use such 3D titles, I'd remove the shadow beneath it (the 3D box art doesn't have a shadow). Or atleast I'd make the shadow fall in the same direction (down, not up). And I'd remove it's white border. I'd just show the angled title screen.

But I don't think I'd use 3D titles anyway, so... tongue.gif

-YRUSirius

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »

I did try just the angled shots without sitting on a bordered edge (see first post) also with no drop shadow.
It all looked a bit unfinished\polished to me.
I agree that i could do without the drop shadow as its not necessary really its more of a trial demo.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »

I was thinking, shouldn't the box be deeper? I meant to bring that up a while back. All the 3D box art is skinny like a DVD, when only the CD games could realistically fit in that size box. Is it just as simple as making a deeper template and running a script? or were those boxes done 1 at a time?

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »

The picture looks better with the frame, but then it looks like it is sitting on "top" of it, as opposed to "in" it.  If that makes any sense?

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »

Makes pefect sense Madmab, that's how it's intended to look, sitting on it rather than in it.
In truth, that's exactly what's going on in that pic too. I've dropped the shadow as both myself and YRUSirius thought.
Have changed to a thinner darker surface to match the boxart more, however i prefer the chunky white\grey combo myself although the new draft goes with the 3d boxfront's better.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Still prefere chunky but without the shadow.

IPB Image

dballs442

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

nice! id be sweet if it bend the opposite way as the 3d box art is. so they face each other.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »

They look great man.  Too bad everything is out so they won't be in Rx 1.0

Speaking of which, I'm going to have to dump the 3D artwork for MAME soon if we don't get some people working on it.  I'm also going to have to release the Madmab Edition emus as-is very soon as well.  I don't have much longer to dedicate to this project at all.

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(dballs442 @ May 12 2010, 04:39 AM) View Post

nice! id be sweet if it bend the opposite way as the 3d box art is. so they face each other.

Hmm, in certain skins\skin config's that might work. But if the skinner chooses different positions for the artwork then were back to a "it should face the other way" scenario. Probably work in my skin cause i only have a few configs but the Gilou PMIII skin has tons of configs. Can't please evryone im afraid.
I will take a look at that later, you may be onto something.

@Rx, don't know what to say really, i was doing well with them and then had a PC HDD problem, swapped bits about a bit, rescued all the artwork i had and then looked at the varing sizes properly. I started to seperate them into different sizes in folders. After i was about 50 - 60 shots in i realised i already had 18 different folders with 18 different sized shots. Now bearing in mind were looking at what 2000 - ish shots to work through ? thats still a lot of sorting out before i can get really started. Thats a minimmum of 18 different template configs that have to be worked out. Then i would have to go back and one by one by hand lift a marquee shot from the titles, work out a script for placing different sized titles etc. So much work to make them look decent.
Coupled with the fact that they will represent a Mame emulator, of which the author has gone to so much trouble to upset so many people, it all kinda leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth, so to speak. Untill things change from that author, i quite frankly don't and won't, make anything for it.
Let his minions do the graft.
I will be more interested "IF" we see a new FBL style project emerge.
Sorry ! Im out of this one. Someone elses turn.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(cbagy @ May 11 2010, 06:15 PM) View Post

Ah, i get what you mean now, i think, lol, yes they should be deeper cause as you can quite plainly see they are mounted on "DVD" boxes !!!
Ive looked at other stuff from certain well know sites and while the stuff looks good, it's incomplete, im not convinced 100% those boxes are true to size either. They are brilliant mockups and hopefully they will get round to completing them someday as i much prefere those to anything iv'e seen.
Plus it saves me hours and hours of work. It must be nice to download stuff ready made and not have to make them yourself, unfortunately a luxury i have yet to experience, get my drift ?

You were saying you made scrips though to make everything automated for your 3D images above. Would this be possible for something like 3D box art? If you were to make a true to size genesis box template could there somehow be a automated process set up to place the front covers on? Or is that something that has to be done one by one?

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(cbagy @ May 12 2010, 04:35 PM) View Post

That would seem possible, yes.
If your talking about adding spines too then i suppose 2 scripts could be used to keep things simple.
All you would need is all of the HQ boxfronts and all of the HQ spines.

I was thinking a generic "SNES" or "Genesis/Megadrive" spine and just having the front art... I think that would still look cool.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

Nice how you're able to overlap with the 3D images there so nicely.

That's something I wanted to do before with our 2D stuff, but the borders wouldn't allow for it to look good.
Pages: [1] 2