xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help:alternative Tsop Write Enable Points  (Read 146 times)

mgs

• Archived User
Need Help:alternative Tsop Write Enable Points
« on: August 16, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »

need help with alternative TSOP write enable points.

I soldered the bottom points just fine, but the top points are a big messed up, I ended up with a both soldering points permanently removed from the board.

Are there any alternate TSOP write enable points I can do?

Any info would be extremely helpful..

mgs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

Sorry, forget to add some description.

Xbox - ver 1.0
Bios Chip - Hynix

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »

are you sure they aren't just buried under a layer of crusty brown flux?  never heard of anyone ever ripping those points off before...  but they do disappear awful quick if you're trying to join them...  might be worth trying a wooden toothpick to scrape off some of the flux...  otherwise, I think the only other place to bridge them is on the tsop itself...

mgs

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »

Yes, I'm sure both points completely removed from the board. I did a big mistake, maybe due to overheat of bad soldering. It's kind of complicated to tell how that happen.

If there anyway that I can to bridge them? How to bridge them on the TSOP?

Thanks for the help.

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 04:33:00 AM »

Think it could be done if you have messed up the top tsop point: R7D3

look at this pic:

http://www.xbox-scen...a_diagrams.html

forget the pandora chip but look at point  " B "

This " B " seems to be same circuit as bottom solder point at R7D3 - it runs into a tiny etched hole - also has 2 other etched holes very close to it and when the board is turned over it looks like point B with 2 other hole near it.....

now looking at top R7D3 tsop again - the top tsop pad runs along a small track to R7D2 - and a track also goes from R7D2 2mm northwards......

If you poke a tiny tiny thin strand of wire carefully - ver carefully through this etch hole you should come out underneath at about 4mm North East of that point " B "

you should be looking at bridging that point B in the pandora diagram with anoth similar size solder pad 4mm N.East of it in the picture.......

NO - I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS 100% CORRECT - YOU HAVE TO CHECK, VERIFY AND IN THE END HOPE THIS IS THE SAME CIRCUITS AS THE R7D3 TSOP.....

you would need to use a small length of thin insulated wire kynar maybe, bit of quality solder with flux and not apply too much heat for too long which may have caused your top tsop point to go tits up.

FINALLY - I GOTTA SAY THIS AGAIN - I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE IF THESE POINTS ARE 101% CORRECT BUT MADE A QUICK OBSERVATION.....

THE RISK IS DOWN TO YOU AND YOU GOTTA CHECK THESE POINTS YOURSELF AND IF YOU THINK THEY MAY BE THE SAME CIRCUIT THEN IT IS STILL DOWN TO YOU IF YOU CHOOSE TO SOLDER THEM.

Up to now I haven't needed to look for alternatives to the tsop but just thought I would have a quick look myself just in case.....

Good luck - fingers crossed but the risk is yours - don't blame me if ya blow ya mobo up

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 05:57:00 AM »

one other trick might be to follow the "split your tsop" tutorial - split the bios in half, and just flash the half that's write enabled...  should be alot easier than tracing and soldering those points on the tsop itself - and you could leave the switch there for live, if you ever want to do that ...

good luck with this...

KDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »

Well I took a look at it and its easy if you can solder.

Alt top TSOP points

Good luck.  wink.gif

if you dont see the pic just right click properties and then copy and past the URL

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 08:56:00 AM »

if you burned the write enable points off, those points aren't any bigger or easier, imho, but best of luck! beerchug.gif

mgs

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happen.

I love this forum. THANKS again guys. :)

Barton

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »

one other trick might be to follow the "split your tsop" tutorial - split the bios in half, and just flash the half that's write enabled

Wait let me get this straight, I messed up my bottom, but my top is k, if I do the switch thing to flash my bios it will work? Right now Im stuck using my stupid Matrix which keeps missaligning.

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 06:41:00 AM »

Wait let me get this straight, I messed up my bottom, but my top is k, if I do the switch thing to flash my bios it will work? Right now Im stuck using my stupid Matrix which keeps missaligning.

read this

Barton

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »

Ive already read that tutorial, but I thought that you still needed to jumper both points, but I was under the assumption by your last post that you only needed ot connect one of the jumpers to flash.

KDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »

Correct me if im wrong but it sounds like each jumper unlocks 1/2 or 512 of the bios chip.
IF thats Correct then we would want to know witch half the top and bottom unlocks.

But i might just be dumb laugh.gif

Noilegnave Siseneg Noen

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 08:53:00 PM »

maybe I've been misinformed by somebody, but I asked much this same question before in a different thread, cuz I figured I had no reason to flash both halves of the TSOP.  And I was told no, you must do both points to write enable the TSOP for 1.0 boxes.  Is this right, or is it actually possible to only flash enable half the TSOP by only joining one set of jumpers?  Does anyone know the definitive answer?  I'd love to know...

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »

Does anyone know the definitive answer?

Um ... no.  In every mod I've done I had no problem with the jumpers , and like I said in the beginning of my post, I've never heard of anyone burning them off before ( burying them in flux yes, burning them off, no)...  

Why don't you *try*...?  A switch shouldn't cost you more than $2, and the tsop switch points are easier than the write-enable points.  You have nothing to loose but a stock motherboard... wink.gif As to switch position, try them both - if half of your bios is write protected, it won't flash...just move the switch and try again...

btw, I never asked, but - if you were using anything other than a 15-watt iron on those write-enable points, shame on you!, and don't try it on the tsop-switching points, or you *will* burn those off...