xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Sp.ice: Flashed Bios (m8), Now The Box Keeps Rebooting  (Read 84 times)

Rikky

• Archived User
Sp.ice: Flashed Bios (m8), Now The Box Keeps Rebooting
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »

I installed an SP.ICE chip in a 1.6 box, and flashed with the M8 bios. With both the retail and the M8 bios on the Launch menu, I assigned the M8 as default and enabled quick boot. The problem is, I forgot to boot the bios first, and now the Xbox keeps rebooting when I turn it on. When I change the position on the switch, the chip lights red, but there is no picture on the TV. What can I do?

jam013200

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »

Turn your box on using the EJECT button, this should take you to the Xenium OS screen. Now start over setting up your bios's. I always setup retail first and than try to launch it to make sure it works. I than load up my "hacked" bios and than test it. Have you FTP'd over your dashboard files so the box has something to load when it starts?

I really wasn't clear on the whole: "...The problem is, I forgot to boot the bios first..." thing so maybe you could provide a few more details?

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »

I found out about the eject button, but thanks anyway. When I try to boot from the hacked bios, it's instant reboot. The hard drive is empty, but I have a bootable CD in the CD-ROM (standard PC CD-ROM reader). Even if I don't have anything to boot from, shouldn't the flubber intro appear?

jam013200

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

True...I would expect to see the flubber for a "hacked bios". Are you sure you got a good bios? Can you check the MD5 sum (signature)? I had a problem with one bios and found it was corrupted.

Also.....are you not using the stock xbox drive? Your using a PC drive? I think there is something you have to do to get that to work. Also, the xbox dvd drive is very picky when it comes to media it will read. Best way is to FTP into the xbox and do all the setup via a network connection. I kinda cheat and use slayers 2.6 to setup my HD and then I delete everything I dont want....

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 12:37:00 AM »

The Slayer CD is the one in the CD-ROM (PC drive), but no boot. I've tried both the stock HD and a new HD. I have also tried a second bios, X2.5035 with similar results. I have installed SP.ICE in another 1.6 before with the same M8 bios I believe, and it booted right away.

jam013200

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »

Ok...lets back up and go in steps.

1. You can press the "eject" button and get to the Xenium OS screen.    Yes/No?
2. You have loaded the "Retail Bios" in the first virtual bank? The first bios you load?  Yes/No?
3. You can load the Original/Retail bios and boot up the xbox like normal?   Yes/No?
4. If the xbox boots up normal, can the "PC-Drive" play regular xbox games and music cd's?   Yes/No?
5. Are you able to check the Slayers cd in another modded xbox?   Yes/No?

If this were my problem I would go through the above steps to make sure the "retail bios" would work first, then that would let me know if it were a chip or not. Ot of curiosity how are you loading the "hacked bios"? CD, USB key, HDD, Network? Is it titled "bios.bin" as the file name? You can call it whatever you want in the Xenium setup menu but I believe it should be bios.bin before hand....I could be mistaken though.

If the retail bios boots up through Xenium OS "Launch Menu" and works good then I would suspect the hacked bios you are using. Can you try the Evox M8+? Perhaps your box is a v1.6+ which I believe the M8+ is setup for?

Surely there is someone w/ more experience here that could shed some light on the situation?

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(jam013200 @ Dec 9 2005, 02:18 PM) *
1. You can press the "eject" button and get to the Xenium OS screen.    Yes/No?
Yes.

2. You have loaded the "Retail Bios" in the first virtual bank? The first bios you load?  Yes/No?
Yes.

3. You can load the Original/Retail bios and boot up the xbox like normal?   Yes/No?
Yes, the Xbox boots. However, it seems to always enter the "set time and date" screen, and the time and date is always reset.

4. If the xbox boots up normal, can the "PC-Drive" play regular xbox games and music cd's?   Yes/No?
I haven't tried a music CD, but the PC drive (DVD-ROM) does not play Xbox games. In fact, neither does the stock DVD drive when booting from retail bios.

5. Are you able to check the Slayers cd in another modded xbox?   Yes/No?
Maybe, but I would probably have to use a PC drive as the stock drive won't read CD-R.

Can you try the Evox M8+? Perhaps your box is a v1.6+ which I believe the M8+ is setup for?
The Xbox is identified as 1.6 in Xenium OS, I don't know whether this is correct or not. I can't seem to find M8+, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks for helping.

Lab

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

It is correct. You need a 1.6 bios for this box.

This post has been edited by Lab: Dec 11 2005, 07:32 PM

jam013200

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

Have you gotten your box operational yet?

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

No, unfortunately no progress.

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »

I have now tried a hard drive from another v1.6 Xbox with the same chip, this did't affect the instant rebooting.

This post has been edited by Rikky: Dec 14 2005, 05:32 AM

jam013200

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »

I don't think the harddrive is causing your reboot problem...its more likely a bios problem.

Have you found the other Evox M8+ bios? For a v1.6 box you are limited on what bios you can use. It sucks you are having such problems with this box. I would get on xbins and get that M8+ bios and try it. There is a tutorial on how to access xbins and all that in the tutorial section. Get on there and download the M8+ and try it....it should work.

Also, how are you loading the bios into the chip?

Rikky

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »

I flashed the box, again, with the same bios, and now it works! The only thing I did different this time was assigning a color on the chip's LED from "off" to "blue". I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm not planning on flashing again to find out. wink.gif
I'm just happy everything worked out, thanks everybody!