xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installed Xenium...works Great...  (Read 273 times)

RideBurton164

• Archived User
Installed Xenium...works Great...
« on: October 02, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »

ok, ive got a box here im doin for a friend, installed the xenium, booted up first try like a charm.  however...I CANT DO ANYTHING.  any time i try and get into disc tools or anything i get kernel panic, what gives?  i cant figure it out for the life of me!!  also...by error codes i can tell the hdd isnt locked, WHICH OF COURSE doesnt let me set the clock, dunno if this affects it or not.  But anyways when i ftp in, or goto recover, disk tools, eeprom tools, or try and add a launch item from flash, it gives me kernel panic, HELP PLEASE! the only screen that works is settings!

This post has been edited by RideBurton164 on Oct 3 2004, 12:52 AM

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

You get the KP error because your clock isn't set. Since your HDD isn't locked.. you can't boot the retail kernal to set it (If it is locked, you can...)

Upgrade to the latest (2.0.1) XOS2 via recovery mode and your problems should go away ;)

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

ok..well i click recovery and and it says loading... in upper left corner...then HALT!  ????  no clue

This post has been edited by RideBurton164 on Oct 3 2004, 01:05 AM

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

You need to burn the recovery.bin file to a disc your XBOX can read. I read in another thread that you tried; try again, with different media... Try leaving the disc non-closed....

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

i tried to get u on aim...anywho, unfortunately cd-rw is the only format i have access to...i can hear my xbox reading the disc...i dunno what the big deal is but its pissing me off, heh.  and what do you mean by non-close?  non-finalized?

Lazybones

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 11:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (RideBurton164 @ Oct 3 2004, 02:08 AM)
i tried to get u on aim...anywho, unfortunately cd-rw is the only format i have access to...i can hear my xbox reading the disc...i dunno what the big deal is but its pissing me off, heh.  and what do you mean by non-close?  non-finalized?

What version of Xbox is this? My Xbox is a 1.6 and can read my CD-R disks but the same disk will not read in my friends older 1.4 xbox.

I am sure most Xbox's will NOT read a CD-RW, they just are not as readable as a CD-R

When you say you burned the Disk you downloaded the ISO image version right? Placing the recovery .bin on a disk alone will not work.

What appleguru ment to say is that you should close the session on the disk.. Some times this makes the disk easier to read.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (Lazybones @ Oct 3 2004, 12:01 AM)
What version of Xbox is this? My Xbox is a 1.6 and can read my CD-R disks but the same disk will not read in my friends older 1.4 xbox.

I am sure most Xbox's will NOT read a CD-RW, they just are not as readable as a CD-R

When you say you burned the Disk you downloaded the ISO image version right? Placing the recovery .bin on a disk alone will not work.

What appleguru ment to say is that you should close the session on the disk.. Some times this makes the disk easier to read.

no!

on the Xbox DVD drive, CD-RW are alot easier for it to read than a CD-R.. only the most foolish person wouldn't know that....

DO NOT USE CD-R! 95% of the time will WILL NOT work!

Finalize = Close  wink.gif

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

No, I meant exactly what I sadi cool.gif Not finalizing the disc apparently makes it easier for some xbox drivesto read the data. Ass-backwards indeed, but... biggrin.gif

Lazybones

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »

EmperorPsiblade

I don't see how a CD-RW would be more compatible. a CD-RW has less contrast in the DIE than a CD-R. If you are using good CD-R media it should read. It is possible that CD-RW s would also work but in no way should they have a greater chance of working than a CD-R.

appleguru

When burning a CD you write what are called Sessions to a disk. Before CD writable disks where invented the standard always had each session closed at the end. When CD-R and CD-RWs hit the market they figured out that they could leave the sessions open. This means than when you write to the disk a second time that a new table of contents including the new content is written to disk. So closing the session on the disk should always be more compatible.

In the end its the Die type / brand of disk that makes the biggest compatibility difference.

DVD drives in general have a harder time reading a CD writable disk.. A DVD-RW disk might be better for use with the XBox.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »

laugh.gif

can someone confirm this?

I'm certain i'm not crazy... well i mean i'm certain i'm not wrong about this at least  happy.gif

Daemonix

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »

Kinda new at this...but when I was installing my bios, etc...I burned the files onto a DVD.  Waste of a good DVD disc...but they're not that expensive anymore.  Buy a DVD burner and put the files on a DVD.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

majority of us do not have DVD burners... and many of us cannot spare the extra money....

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 01:15:00 AM »

CDRW works MUCH better than cdr on an xbox drive, esp since only some sammys and some phillips can read cdrs.  I don't care what you say about dyes, you may be right, but in practice on an xbox cdrw is superior.

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (acemilo @ Oct 9 2004, 02:15 AM)
CDRW works MUCH better than cdr on an xbox drive, esp since only some sammys and some phillips can read cdrs.  I don't care what you say about dyes, you may be right, but in practice on an xbox cdrw is superior.

He's absolutely right. Go try playing a CDR in a Thomson drive and then try playing a CDRW in a Thomson drive and tell me which one gets read.  wink.gif

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 01:57:00 AM »

you could always just try downloading the recovery.bin file from teamxodus.com and using the HD recovery method.

Just put the recovery.bin file on the E partition (using XOS FTP server), and go to recovery and see if that works. Unless you tried that already?

When I went from prerelease beta to public beta, the HD method did not work for me, but burning it onto DVDR did. When goin from public beta to 2.0.1, the DVDR method did  not work for me, but the HD method did.