xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1964, N64 Emulator  (Read 328 times)

Iriez

• Administrator
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (wongtong2g @ Aug 2 2003, 09:37 PM)
btw, will this make use of mHZ's virtual memory method?

No, seeing that similar things were in the works weeks before kawa-x was released.

wongtong2g

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 08:45:00 PM »

sorry bro... should've better phrased it "btw, will this make use of a virtual memory method similar to the one mHZ used for Kawa-X?"

[edit: or just a method, doesnt have to be similar]

btw note to author - Props and gl on your work  beerchug.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2003, 03:30:00 AM »

I love the Xbox-Scene  beerchug.gif
A great emu coming to the xbox with virtual Memory !  biggrin.gif This is great  biggrin.gif I can't wait for it now!

pelago

• Recovered User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 04:36:00 AM »

I think it's been demonstrated (as well as first-hand knowledge by Iriez) that Kawa-X does indeed use a form of virtual memory/paging.

simbot82

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 04:50:00 AM »

Man this will definetly rock. Can't wait to finish Perfect Dark again (hopefully  uhh.gif ) love.gif

desertboy

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2003, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (pelago @ Aug 4 2003, 01:36 PM)
I think it's been demonstrated (as well as first-hand knowledge by Iriez) that Kawa-X does indeed use a form of virtual memory/paging.

I might be wrong but I think all Iriez did was load kawa-x with a big rom (eg Metal Slug 3/KOF'01) played it for a while and then turned off his xbox. Turn it back on and use ftp/xcommander to check the contents of x/y/z and that's where you'll find those pesky little swap files.

Of course MHZ could have been f*cking with us and those files could just be dead files he put there to make it look like virtual memory but I doubt it.

anti-pop

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2003, 05:52:00 AM »

This what Irez said about Kawa-X paging/virtual memory before:

[...]i've seen the source file for the paging routines. I am aware of what it is using, and how.

[...]
He only uses VMM for roms over 50mb.
Trust me on this one, its very much so paging. There are similar routines being used in a few projects.

[...]
As for his paging, i wont paste any code, but heres the jist..

Its basically 20mb of central RAM area allocated for swap. The pages are divided into 256kb. At the beginning, they are loaded with the first pages by default. For each frame, if a page is used, has a flag set to 0. At the end of a frame you increment all flags. When a new page is needed, replace the one that has a bigger flag (the one that was used most long ago).

The point is to have the most used pages in the RAM at that instant, for speed and efficiency. Very similar to LRU paging.

Iriez

• Administrator
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (desertboy @ Aug 4 2003, 07:36 AM)

I might be wrong but I think all Iriez did was load kawa-x with a big rom (eg Metal Slug 3/KOF'01) played it for a while and then turned off his xbox. Turn it back on and use ftp/xcommander to check the contents of x/y/z and that's where you'll find those pesky little swap files.

Of course MHZ could have been f*cking with us and those files could just be dead files he put there to make it look like virtual memory but I doubt it.

Yea...uhhh...thats it.

He wrote fake sources that were really entirely unfunctional. Then he made it put files on the x/y/z to 'fool' us, while playing over a 70mb image.

WATCH OUT! THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOU!

Good one.  laugh.gif

mr jones

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2003, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (Iriez @ Aug 4 2003, 11:22 AM)
Yea...uhhh...thats it.

He wrote fake sources that were really entirely unfunctional. Then he made it put files on the x/y/z to 'fool' us, while playing over a 70mb image.

Good one.  laugh.gif

I KNEW IT!!!

All that talk about virtual memory was all ballyhoo and hogwash!  Kawa-X is simply a maglignant program discreetly dressed up in emulator's clothing, that's set up to viciously take up all of your free space on your X: drive, so you won't be able to play your regular retail games anymore!  When you try to delete the files, they'll probably just reappear when you reboot!  THEN the files will spread and multiply across your Y and Z drives too?!  OMG, j00z b33n fUx0rz!!1!

Er.... wait.  You were bein' sarcastic again, weren't ya? smile.gif

muerte

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (Dante_Ali @ Aug 4 2003, 04:31 PM)
Honestly, skepticism is all well and good but conspiracy theories such as "He just made up a bunch of fake files on the X, Y and Z drives' are both illogical and far fetched.

It runs ROMs well over 70Mb large. How ELSE do you think this emulator is able to do that?

does it have a specific RAM requirement? like 128mb? cuz then it could easily work w/o virtual memory.

dazdastardly

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2003, 07:57:00 AM »

offs... what have i started... sad.gif ... i merely sed what i said because every rom file over a certain size, you have to predecrypt... which makes it ... SO MUCH SMALLER....

dry.gif  quite obviously im wrong, as Iriez has said... forget it tongue.gif

dazdastardly

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2003, 08:05:00 AM »

ok

desertboy

• Archived User
1964, N64 Emulator
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (Iriez @ Aug 4 2003, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (desertboy @ Aug 4 2003, 07:36 AM)

Yea...uhhh...thats it.

Good one.  laugh.gif

I was never really suggesting this but I know a few coders who'd have done it like that just to f*ck with ya or to get a kick out 15 page threads discussing it.
Pages: 1 [2]