xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps1 Game Not Even Recognised By Pcsxbox V.4  (Read 336 times)

a2002adam

• Archived User
Ps1 Game Not Even Recognised By Pcsxbox V.4
« on: July 07, 2003, 02:37:00 PM »

I've put v.4 on my xbox, made a backup of coolboarders 3 on cd-rw, put it in the drive (evox said it was 'unknown', but that's to be expected), loaded up pcsx, went to the drive selection menu and the contents of the pcsx folder came up in the D: drive, not the game....

What do I do, what has gone wrong? It's the first time I've tried this particular emulator, so if i've missed something, please tell me. Thanks

a2002adam

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (Protosstic @ Jul 7 2003, 11:39 PM)
From what I remember, I don't believe playing off of the CD is incorporated/even works good. I believe currently the only/good working method is by playing off an image file of the cd. I may be incorrect with this, however this is what i remember.

That's really gay...how do i make an image file then?

I've tried with alcohol 120% (.mdf), but it just freezes with an annoying buzz on the hle/bios selection screen when I choose one of them.

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »

Direct-booting PSX games written to CDR/CDRW is not supported.  You can make an image file, (e.g. castle.bin) and then burn that file onto a regular data CD/DVD (so that if you list the files on the CD/DVD, you will see castle.bin).  To read that file, load up PCSXBox, "select game", and continue to click on the parent directory (first entry in game list) until you get to the drive letter selection.  Select R drive (which is your DVDROM drive) and you should see the file there.

p.s. If it's gay, then don't use it.

Biznaz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (a2002adam @ Jul 8 2003, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (Protosstic @ Jul 7 2003, 11:39 PM)
From what I remember, I don't believe playing off of the CD is incorporated/even works good. I believe currently the only/good working method is by playing off an image file of the cd. I may be incorrect with this, however this is what i remember.

That's really gay...how do i make an image file then?

I've tried with alcohol 120% (.mdf), but it just freezes with an annoying buzz on the hle/bios selection screen when I choose one of them.

RTFM

you wouldn't have asked this stupid question if you had read the readme.

one2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 06:00:00 PM »

am I right in saying that the psx image must be processed into xbox compatible iso before psxbox will read it off of a CD? I couldn't get any of my previously burned psx images [game.bin/game.cue on CD] to read until I tried an xbox iso making program and burned the CD that way.

if I'm right, then, xport, are there any plans to read psx image files off of a data CD without having to re-iso every game or xfering to the HD [just like how xbmp can read audio/video files off of a regular data CD]?

btw, it's not gay or lesbian, it's still finding itself, and we're all along for the ride. thanks again, xport!

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »

btw, it's not gay or lesbian

I also failed to see the connection with an emulator and a person's sexual preferences...

As for the image, if it's an ISO/CUE or BIN/CUE on the xbox hard drive itself, there is no need to make it an xbox iso. However, if you wish to run it off of a CD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD-RW then yes, I do think it has to be in xbox form. Although I'm very sure that it has to be in xbox ISO form on recordable media, I haven't tested this.

-Bender

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »

one2 - Yes, you would have to convert it to an xbox-compatible image (via xiso or what-have-you).  I understand what you're asking for, and I'll make a note of it, but it seems doubtful to me at this point that I would bother implementing it.  It's not a trivial addition and I don't see many people having a use for it.   BTW, why do you have bin/cue files on data CDs?  I can't think of a reason why you would want them in that format on CD media.

Aphexxx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »

Use Blindwrite it is the best app I have found to backup a PSX game to an ISO.
It works absolutely flawless. I have backed up 45 games. Not a single problem so far.

www.blindwrite.com

one2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »

thanks for the suggestion Aphexxx, though I don't have any problems backing my PSX games. my post concerning CD protection is mostly a rant on original PC game/software CDs being incompatible with older CD-roms and writers. the rest on PSX imaging concerns having compatibility between both the xbox and the PC. though I'm sure blindwrite would do a fine job making ISOs out of PSX games, the resulting images would either be usable with one or the other with some fiddling, but would not be usable for both (and that was the bulk point of my post).

ooh, coffee, bbl

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

Not sure if this wat ure tlking about but you can run .iso's .img's etc of a normal DATA DVD with out the emu on (of course load the emu off hdd)

one2

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »

so you're saying I can burn PSX images normally on a DVD without having to convert to an xbox compatible disc & the DVD would still be readable by PC? how are you burning your discs? UDF or something? and with what proggie? will this process work with CDr[w]s? I don't have any more DVDrws at the moment and am reluctant to try another DVDr without more info.

ooh, reason 6: images can be transferred over to HD of either xbox/pc for those long play sessions and you don't wanna wear the CD-rom or can't stand the noise or increase loading times. if the images were burnt normally then an extra proggie would be required to extract them.

TTFN, ta ta for now.

a2002adam

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 06:21:00 AM »

Sorry for calling your hard work gay, I know how much effort you programmers put into these projects.

Another point tho, I made an image of CoolBoarders 3 with clonecd (giving me an .img file) which I put onto the xbox, but it still freezes.....what's wrong?

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (one2 @ Jul 8 2003, 11:19 PM)
so you're saying I can burn PSX images normally on a DVD without having to convert to an xbox compatible disc & the DVD would still be readable by PC? how are you burning your discs? UDF or something? and with what proggie? will this process work with CDr[w]s? I don't have any more DVDrws at the moment and am reluctant to try another DVDr without more info.

ooh, reason 6: images can be transferred over to HD of either xbox/pc for those long play sessions and you don't wanna wear the CD-rom or can't stand the noise or increase loading times. if the images were burnt normally then an extra proggie would be required to extract them.

TTFN, ta ta for now.

Yep...
Record now max.... (no wizard)
Data
Options
Track at once (TAO)
UDF -up to 128 in filelength, any char.,plus joilet, plus 8 + 3 tree (bridge)

Then burnt at maximum speed and they work on both xbox emu and pc...no point in wasting space!

cainedna

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 12:35:00 PM »

Not entirely off topic, but a little. I use a Mac at home, and the only way I've been able to get the images to work is ripping thru Virtual PC/WinCD. Xport, you're a man among men, and I appreciate your work very much. I understand that reading directly from the CD isn't in the plan just yet, but what about a simple utility to rip from original PSX discs on the XBox? That would kick ass for Mac users for sure, but it would also make things a little more convenient for everyone.

one2

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »

chilin_dude: hey, what do you know, UDF works on CDR (yes, CDR) after all [note: I used nero]. I guess I got my wish after all, hurrah!

cainedna: uh, that doesn't make any sense to me, if the xbox has trouble reading PSX CDs, then wouldn't extracting be out of the question? and I believe xport's credo is max amount of gain from little work. what you are asking is alot of work with little gain [isn't "Mac gamer" an oxymoron? jk], since I think it's safe to say that the majority of people have little problem ripping their own games. are you sure there are no decent Mac CD ripping proggies? I guess you can point xport to some source code to a program that rips PSX games, that could help. or you can try asking for help either at the forums of http://www.ngemu.com/forums/ or http://www.aldostools.com/index2.html. the former has many frequenters who produced the original PC emus you see on the xbox today.
Pages: [1] 2