xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xdk Questions  (Read 259 times)

obcd

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »

The biggest issue when running games under the debug bios is memory.
If you have a retail converted xbox, it only has 64MB of memory. Debug unit's had 128MB.
The debug bios takes more memory and the debug dash is bigger as well.
I remember people using very old debug dashes to take screenshots from the Halo programs.
The newer ones simply used 2 much memory.

Another issue is that original debug biosses don't run retail games. The game needs to be debug signed. Most modchip debug biosses don't have those limitation.

I know that the F patch makes the f partition visible to the xbox neiborhood.
I don't know if you can launch xbe's from there in the debug dash.

regards.

chocolatecheese

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »

ah ok, makes sense. So you're saying that whether the game will run or not depends on its memory usage? (This is Yoshiro's v1.6 debug bios.) Meaning that games like GTA and Riddick use less RAM than Halo? (I can get the main menu for Halo to launch but it errors as soon as i load up a level. Halo 2 won't load at all.)

And I have the fpatch installed in the dxt directory on the E drive but the F drive won't show up in Xbox Neighborhood.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »

I have the extra RAM chips for my Xbox, I just don't trust myself to solder them in :-/

obcd

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »

The problem with a ram upgrade is usual that the ram's come from another board. Due to that, the pin's aren't anymore what they are suposed to be. It's also hard to tell how much heat the chip had to take in the desoldering proces. To check your soldering work properly, you almost need a microscope. I also don't know how well a xbox behaves with 128MB ram, if the bios is the normal retail bios like with a softmod.
Are you sure that the F drive doesn't come up with another drive letter in the neighborhood?
I remember using the tatx bfm debug bios. I am not sure if it can handle a F partition bigger than 137 GB.

regards.

chocolatecheese

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »

Yeah, I am not really interested in taking the risk with a RAM upgrade. Just seems too tedious. Props to the people who have successfully done it though. Anyways, I wasn't able to spot my F partition in Xbox Neighborhood. And yes, I do believe that F can only handle 137 gb, but that isn't an issue since my HDD is 80 gb. I bought it several years ago when memory was still expensive.

obcd

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »

I think it's the bios.
If I remember well, when I used an original debug bios, the f drive didn't show up as well.
If you use the phoenix bios loader, you can quickly test other debug biosses.

regards.