xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: To Enthusiast Devs: Web Cam For Xbox?  (Read 54 times)

xenonmodz

• Archived User
To Enthusiast Devs: Web Cam For Xbox?
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

smile.gif

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

ncaissie the issue with a PVR style recorder is bandwidth.  The input you need to use is just a controller input, which is USB1.1.  Max bandwidth:11Mbps (iirc).  You can make a webcam that sends compressed jpegs run on USB 1.1 with okay results at 320x240 or even 640x480 (but not that great I'd bet..).  Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do 24fps TV at decent quality.

A couple things:
1. you could do this with linux and any usb camera already.  I know this isn't as cool of a solution as a dedicated app but I thought I'd mention.

2.  Any homebrew software could also support other types of USB webcams, shouldn't be stuck to just the MS ones since as you said they are only available in Japan.  It could be a good place to start, but actually.. there are other cameras who already have opensource drivers available, not to mention PC debugging apps to figure out how they work, so they might actually be easier to port than reverse-engineer an MS camera.

Samsonator

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »

Here's a link to a picture of the Japanese Xbox Webcam hardware...

http://www.xbox.com/...hat/default.htm

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

i think its coming to the us on the next big update for the xbox. webcam support for xboxlive has been looked into alot by m$ abd even test softwhere has been written.