xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6 Xbox + 1.14 Xeb + Hdav = No Picture?  (Read 59 times)

xhonzi

• Archived User
1.6 Xbox + 1.14 Xeb + Hdav = No Picture?
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »

Minor breakthrough:

I ssh'd in and typed fbset 480p after booting up pictureless with the component cables.  This gave me a very distored picture.  The PJ reported that it was receiving a 525p signal (which is what it says when it receives a "480p" signal).  The picture has horizontal striping and when I move the mouse I see 20 or so copies of it moving across the screen.

For what it's worth.

Matt

xhonzi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »

My previous post about the way 480p looked when I forced it through an ssh session:
That was when I booted without making all the linuxboot.cfg and XF86Config-4 changes...

So I tried putting the changes in for 480p and then fbset 480p.  It was strill screwed up, but much differently this time.  The Picture was in black and and white and was zoomed in a lot.  I think the screen was overlapping itself as well.

I tried fbset with 720p and 1080i and 640x480-HDTV and they all produced pictures, but they were all screwed up each in different ways.

I tried playing with the timing values and they didn't seem to change the picture at all.  480p was always screwed up in the same way as it ever was regardless of how I changed the timing values.

Matt

P.S. I do have 480p 720p and 1080i turned on in the Xbox configuration (dash).  Would this make a difference?

xhonzi

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »

Okay, well...  I have 480p and 720p now working fine.  In X11 anyways.  I was missing the last part of the http://www.xbox-linu...Xbox_HDTV_HOWTO tut that says to use that "UseModes" thing.  That seemed to be my major issue.

This isn't a really big deal (yet) but I still don't get any picture during boot.  I gleaned from this page http://www.not404.co...der=asc&start=0 that I might need "turning off the boot-logo support" to ensure that I am in a graphic mode during boot up.  Or doesn't that make sense.  

Anyways... any idea about that?

Matt

Now onto my next problem... digital audio.  I don't get any.  The uname -r thing tells me I have a 2.4.31-xbox.  Any help?  The recompiling method (http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian_HOWTO#Enabling_digital_audio_output) really scares me.  There's got to be a better way.

friedgold

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(xhonzi @ Jan 24 2006, 08:46 AM) View Post

This isn't a really big deal (yet) but I still don't get any picture during boot.

Try editing linuxboot.cfg and adding video=xbox:480p into the append line (or video=xbox:720p ). Also are you sure you have a v1.6 Xbox becuase I didn't think they supported 720p.

xhonzi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking that must mean I don't have a 1.6.  I know I looked it up once... but oh well...

I did do that line in /boot/linuxboot.cfg.  And I did take the 'xboxfb y' part out.  But when I plug in my standard cables the first thing I see on that linux boot screen is a vesa refresh or something like that.

I just found a /mnt/C/Linux/linuxboot.cfg.  I'll try chaning that one.

Matt

Changed: I just found a /mnt/C/Linux/linuxboot.cfg

No dice.

xhonzi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

xebian:/usr/src# find / -name "linuxboot.cfg"
/boot/linuxboot.cfg
/mnt/C/Linux/linuxboot.cfg
/mnt/E/UDATA/4d530017/E8FF68C9193B/linuxboot.cfg
/mnt/E/debian/linuxboot.cfg
find: /proc/882/fd: No such file or directory

Which linuxboot.cfg am I supposed to be modifying.

I've been working with /boot/linuxboot.cfg

Matt

friedgold

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:00 AM »

How do you launch Xebian? Is it a native or loopback install? Normally for a loopback install it would be launched by E:\debian\default.xbe so you should change E:\debian\linuxboot.cfg

xhonzi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 05:12:00 AM »

I start it from my MechInstaller modified xbox dash.

If I change e:\debian\linuxboot.cfg and add "720p" though 720p is defined by /etc/fb.modes... do you see where I'm going?  What does 720p mean to the e:\debian\default.xbe?  Is it smart enough that 720p does not need to be defined by /etc/fb.modes?  Or does it access that somehow?

Matt