xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Really Struggling To Upgrade Hd; What Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 122 times)

cjard

• Archived User
Really Struggling To Upgrade Hd; What Am I Doing Wrong?
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »

Hi All

Wondering if someone can pass some advice. I have an 8 gig xbox that I got off ebay, came with XBMC as its dashboard and some emulators on. I want to upgrade the HD to a 40 gig one I have here spare (as a trial run for doing it to a bigger one) and I've spent hours on the bloody thing.. Nearly no joy

Most recently, tried the CHIMP method, but CHIMP won't load because I'm using XBMC as a dash apparently, and I'm reluctant to change it in case I screw the only working hd/dash I have, so forgetting chimp for now

Going the FTP route, I've FTPed the entire C and E off the xbox (F is empty) and into an unpacked XBOXHDM folder on the laptop together with running ConfigMagic to get the eeprom; got all that stuff in the right places in the xboxhdm linux folder, made the ISO, burned it.. Looked in the iso with winrar and yep, the files I copied off the xbox are there

So I boot xboxhdm on the main PC, format my new drive, tell it to copy everything.. Come the locking part I could not get lockhd to find the eeprom file. Browsing round the linux file sys I couldnt find it either. I've rebooted xboxhdm many times in various options and browsed around the file syste, and only one time I booted it I think I found it in /CD/eeprom/EEPROM.bin (case sens issue?) but it seems now every time I boot XBOXHDM option 3 i do not get a /CD/ folder mounted so I dunno wth is going on there. I booted windows with the new xbox drive as primary slave instead and used LIVEINFO to calculate the password for the HD, back into XBOXHDM and typed the password in using lockhd -p <password> and it locked ok...

Put the new drive in the XBOX, booted it and up comes.. the original MS Xbox dash.

What the? How did that happen? I thought the new drive would be a clone of the old one.. the only thing I didnt copy onto the XBOXHDM iso was the Emulators folder cos it wont fit on a cd

I got winrar to generate a report of the files inside the ISO. It can be seen at http://rghost.net/19221221 just incase someone can look at say "oh, your C folder has an xboxdash.xbe which is the original dash, you copied the wrong files off the xbox, you fool"
Is there a way I can use xbox hdm to mount my new 40gig drive and edit the files on it so that some dash other than the MS one can be inserted? I dont have any games to softmod the new HD

Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by cjard: Aug 25 2011, 11:04 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »

Chimp will work from XBMC.

If your softmod has shadow C then you have to bypass shadow C before you FTP the files from the Xbox. If you don't then you get the stock MS Dash, as you have found.

You have to put the eeprom in the right place (/linux/eeprom/eeprom.bin), and the file name has to be lower case. The xboxhdm instructions on this are absolutely crystal clear.

Have a look at the link in my signature - Build a new softmod disk with eeprom - for an overview of building a clean new softmod disk.

Alternatively, instead of xboxhdm, use the lxhdm implementation on HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc).

cjard

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 25 2011, 11:33 AM) *

Chimp will work from XBMC.

Seemed to just load to a black screen with a small text banner about the makers and then sit there doing nothing.. :/

If your softmod has shadow C then you have to bypass shadow C before you FTP the files from the Xbox. If you don't then you get the stock MS Dash, as you have found.

Will bear in mind! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You have to put the eeprom in the right place (/linux/eeprom/eeprom.bin), and the file name has to be lower case. The xboxhdm instructions on this are absolutely crystal clear.

I got a little confused as all the files on the iso, when i checked in winrar, seemed to be uppercase - it was only later that I found a case oddity when looking at it in linux

Have a look at the link in my signature - Build a new softmod disk with eeprom - for an overview of building a clean new softmod disk.

Alternatively, instead of xboxhdm, use the lxhdm implementation on HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc).

reading now and will defo check them out. thanks for nthe help! Incidentally I got this hard disk going (for benefit of others who may ever read this thread and have the same problems as i did) by:

connecting the original xbox hd to the xbox, pulling the cdrom ide, letting the xbox boot to error 12 so it had unlocked the HD, then carefully unplugged the ide
boot the pc, get past POST, then conenct original xbox hd plus new had to same cable, both on cable select, and booting xboxhdm in mode 1 and choosing the CLONE option, cloning the orignal onto the new

I had to do it nlike that because I could not get the original hd to unlock on the PC; it just gave readerrors while xboxhdm was booting and the unlock tool said no hd was connected

-

so all in all, a bloody massive faff and definitely looking forward to the links in your sign being easier; this has taken so long I actually wished I'd just paid some reliable member of the forum to image me a modded drive and ship it to me - it would have been cheaper than spending 5 hours last night messing with it and having a row with the other half about coming to bed at 2am after ignoring her all night. hah :/

Glans

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(cjard @ Aug 25 2011, 09:52 PM) View Post

it would have been cheaper than spending 5 hours last night messing with it and having a row with the other half about coming to bed at 2am after ignoring her all night. hah :/

cheaper, but so much less rewarding.
(disregarding the row that is. I know exactly where you're coming from haha, funny thing is double standards: mine got a new smartphone today and has been screwing around with it for hours now. Gives me time to upgrade my HDD though)

Glad that you got it to work!