xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Questions On Softmod  (Read 179 times)

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Some Questions On Softmod
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

I was told by someone in another thread that for access to the classic dashboard, I need the latest softmod version. I know that my machine is a bit flaky sometimes when it comes to running Linux in HD, and I thought maybe it would be good to upgrade.

First step though, how do I tell what version I have to begin with. I'm pretty sure its an NDURE from Crazy, but I don't want to upgrade the latest version of something if it isn't necessary. Next, can it be upgraded like with this C.A.S.H disc I keep hearing about, or is that too old, as it has been a couple of years.

I think the scene really needs to clean up the "icky stickies" in this forum especially, as most of them are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of date.

Thanks so much everyone!

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »

The latest ndure softmods are based upon the nkpatcher11.
If you have a NKP11 folder on your E partition, that's what you are using.
The moment you start linux, the xbox kernel is no longer used.
So, if you have problems with your linux, updating your softmod won't help.

There is no problem with the "icky stickies" here.
There is just a problem with people who find posting easier than reading,
which is why every question comes back pretty much every week.

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 1 2009, 05:36 AM) *
The latest ndure softmods are based upon the nkpatcher11.
If you have a NKP11 folder on your E partition, that's what you are using.
The moment you start linux, the xbox kernel is no longer used.
So, if you have problems with your linux, updating your softmod won't help.

There is no problem with the "icky stickies" here.
There is just a problem with people who find posting easier than reading,
which is why every question comes back pretty much every week.

regards.

Yup, I've got the NKP folder, but I am assuming you meant C Drive, and you meant "NKPATCHER" instead of !!, but yeah it is there. And about the Linux thing, at this point Linux hasn't even started yet, it is just at the screen where you can choose which linux you would like to start, so yeah.

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »

nope, I really meant the NKP11 folder on the E partition.
The older ndure softmods using the nkpatcher10 don't have it. They also work well.
Only if your softmod is something like the UDE, you might consider changing it.

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 2 2009, 04:30 AM) *
nope, I really meant the NKP11 folder on the E partition.
The older ndure softmods using the nkpatcher10 don't have it. They also work well.
Only if your softmod is something like the UDE, you might consider changing it.

regards.

How do you tell if it is the UDE?

While we're on that topic, are there any softmods that don't require a game, or could FOR SURE without xBox HDM? If it helps with that, I've got an upgraded hard drive, and my old one still available. Both are "modded" though, but I could still "unmod" one. I also have a USB plug, so I could use USB drives for transferring whatever. Or was the xBox never as easy to "exploit" as the Wii was with "BannerBomb".

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »

How do you tell if it is the UDE?

You check the files/folders on your real C partition (not the shadow one).

Kingroach ndure has a bios folder with the nkpatcher in it.
It also can create a ndts folder on the E partition. If you have that folder, you are using ndure.

You should find the font exploit files on a folder of your C as well. Those are ernie.xtf and xbox.xtf.

The easiest way to exploit the xbox is with an exploitable game. You put the gamesave exploit on a compatible gamesave device (A usb stick or a xbox memory device.)
(You can use xbplorer360 to access a fatx formatted device on your pc.)
You copy the gamesave exploit over to your xbox harddisk, you launch the exploitable game, and you load the gamesave.

The cheapest way is the hotswap (with some risks.)

The surest way is a modchip or a Tsop flash. (You can always recover with a rescue disk.)

Another less known method is using an eeprom reader and xboxhdm.

regards.  

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 3 2009, 03:51 AM) *

You check the files/folders on your real C partition (not the shadow one).

Kingroach ndure has a bios folder with the nkpatcher in it.
It also can create a ndts folder on the E partition. If you have that folder, you are using ndure.

You should find the font exploit files on a folder of your C as well. Those are ernie.xtf and xbox.xtf.

The easiest way to exploit the xbox is with an exploitable game. You put the gamesave exploit on a compatible gamesave device (A usb stick or a xbox memory device.)
(You can use xbplorer360 to access a fatx formatted device on your pc.)
You copy the gamesave exploit over to your xbox harddisk, you launch the exploitable game, and you load the gamesave.

The cheapest way is the hotswap (with some risks.)

The surest way is a modchip or a Tsop flash. (You can always recover with a rescue disk.)

Another less known method is using an eeprom reader and xboxhdm.

regards.  

All right. I was poking around the original install files that I still had on my computer hard drive and saw the readme file and it is apparantly "version 1" point zero, so just plain 1.

A few more questions that would make life easier:

# 1: Can xBoxHDM be used on an IDE laptop with a little converter thing? It uses laptop sized IDE hard drives, not SATA, so it should be compatible with the drive locking, and if it is not, I could just unlock the hard drive right on the xBox itself, and then use that program you were talking about.

# 2: Can the xBoxHDM process for installing a softmod be done manually like via FTP over the network. Like you boot the box with a hard drive attached to the normal cable, then after it starts, you "hotswap" right there on the xBox like you would in chimps for upgrading your hard drive. So, you now have two hard drives and no DVD drive, can this be accessed over FTP? Which leads me into my third question:

# 3: Can you just run xBoxHDM for softmod install right on the xBox itself? Has it ever been tried before? Would I need to switch around the IDE cables? I would have the drive pre unlocked so that a textbook "hotswap" would not really be required, more like a just plug the drive in with another source of power and run it like you would on the computer.

The reason that I don't want to use xBoxHDM for that on the desktop computer is that the computer I use does not have a long enough IDE cable, and if it did, the power cable is really short. Its not that buying an IDE extension cable and a power extension cable would be cost prohibitive or anything, it is just that it is just such an annoying wait when it could perhaps just be done right on the machine.

Thanks for all your help so far. Keep me posted.

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »

#1 yes, in theory a laptop should work with an adapter.
You can unlock the harddisk on the xbox, but the xbox won't boot anymore once the disk is unlocked.
So, it's pretty risky.

#2 No, only linux can handle 2 harddisks on the xbox.

#3 No. The purpose of a softmod is to let the xbox run unsigned xbe's. So, xboxhdm wouldn't run untill it's modded. If your xbox is modded, backup it's eeprom and ftp the eeprom.bin to your pc. Once you have it, you don't need to hotswap anymore. You can simply connect the harddisk to the pc and power it up afterwards to let it boot from the xboxhdm cd without risk.

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 5 2009, 04:30 AM) *
#1 yes, in theory a laptop should work with an adapter.
You can unlock the harddisk on the xbox, but the xbox won't boot anymore once the disk is unlocked.
So, it's pretty risky.

#2 No, only linux can handle 2 harddisks on the xbox.

#3 No. The purpose of a softmod is to let the xbox run unsigned xbe's. So, xboxhdm wouldn't run untill it's modded. If your xbox is modded, backup it's eeprom and ftp the eeprom.bin to your pc. Once you have it, you don't need to hotswap anymore. You can simply connect the harddisk to the pc and power it up afterwards to let it boot from the xboxhdm cd without risk.

regards.

1 I know, I have two hard drives. I was just interested in upgrading the softmod because of some glitches that are encountered occasionally.

2 Could I use xDSL and an FTP server and just do that over FTP like that then? I mean, what exactly does the Kingroach installer put on your hard drive in xBox HDM, and what is the little script that it runs do?

Anyway, as far as the adpater is concerned, I am kind of leaning in that direction. I mean, I hace access do a desktop computer, but it is not like those computers on YouTube where people do hotswaps and stuff. Those computers have spacey interiors and IDE cables/Power cables that actually have enough slack to plug into a hard drive without pinching your fingers on metal objects or leaving your drive hanging in space a couple of inches from the CPU Fan. I hate to have to pay for something I could technically be able to do with my existing "equipment", but I feel that might work out the best with the laptop adapter. I looked for a bit on eBay and failed to find one. Are they hard to find or something?

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »

1. If the xbox is softmodded, get the eeprom.bin.
What glitches do you encounter? Maybe there is a logical explanation for them.

2. It's the script that alters the C and E partition so that the M$dash gets exploited.
You can even ftp to your dashboard. Why do you need xDSL and a file server on it?
The risks will be the same.
If you forget a file, the softmod doesn't work anymore and the next reboot won't either.
It's really not possible to explain all the details of ndure. You have the simple softmod, the dual (triple) boot which all are a little different. You have the UDDAE which you can or can't install. You have the kingroach ndure that works together with xboxhdm, and the krazy ndure that works as a game exploit.. You have the kingroach ndure 3.0 and the 3.1 which differ a little.

3. I think most of the time people need to connect a laptop harddisk to a desktop computer, not the other way around. Why would you connect a 3.5 inch harddisk to a laptop, since it doesn't fit in... As ide harddisks start to become absolete, so will become the gadgets for it. You will probably need an external supply for the harddisk as well, as laptop disks consume less power. It's possible that the laptop supply can't handle the extra needed current. I don't really understand the problem with your desktop. If you have the eeprom.bin, you don't need to hotswap. You can remove the original harddisk and put the xbox harddisk in it's place. The cables should be long enough as the original disk was connected with them. You can install everything carefully with the power disconnected.. I agree that a big case and long cables might be easier to work with.

Maybe you could invest in a cheap second hand desktop pc. You should be able to find one for 25 euro.
It will allow you to experiment without the risk of killing your pc.

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 6 2009, 03:57 AM) *
1. If the xbox is softmodded, get the eeprom.bin.
What glitches do you encounter? Maybe there is a logical explanation for them.

The xromwell xbe file will not boot on a high definition telly which I use occasionally. I think I may have had HD problems with a few other apps before, but it certainly has been quite a while now.

2. It's the script that alters the C and E partition so that the M$dash gets exploited.
You can even ftp to your dashboard. Why do you need xDSL and a file server on it?
The risks will be the same.
If you forget a file, the softmod doesn't work anymore and the next reboot won't either.
It's really not possible to explain all the details of ndure. You have the simple softmod, the dual (triple) boot which all are a little different. You have the UDDAE which you can or can't install. You have the kingroach ndure that works together with xboxhdm, and the krazy ndure that works as a game exploit.. You have the kingroach ndure 3.0 and the 3.1 which differ a little.

I know that, but some of the files cannot be overwritten (I thought) because they are currently in use. Or is that not the case on xBox. I had a version 1 Krazy gamesave exploit.

3. I think most of the time people need to connect a laptop harddisk to a desktop computer, not the other way around. Why would you connect a 3.5 inch harddisk to a laptop, since it doesn't fit in... As ide harddisks start to become absolete, so will become the gadgets for it.

I just need to be able to access it for a few minutes to use xBoxHDM with it. I understand that a very large and wide hard drive will not fit in a small hard drive slot. Since when was IDE obsolete anyway?

You will probably need an external supply for the harddisk as well, as laptop disks consume less power. It's possible that the laptop supply can't handle the extra needed current. I don't really understand the problem with your desktop. If you have the eeprom.bin, you don't need to hotswap. You can remove the original harddisk and put the xbox harddisk in it's place. The cables should be long enough as the original disk was connected with them. You can install everything carefully with the power disconnected.. I agree that a big case and long cables might be easier to work with.

Maybe you could invest in a cheap second hand desktop pc. You should be able to find one for 25 euro.
It will allow you to experiment without the risk of killing your pc.

regards.

I do realize that I would most likely need an external power supply, which I do have access to. I realize there is no need to hotswap, as I have the EEP ROM file. The desktop does not have  an IDE cable that reaches close enough to the hard drive. The original hdd is not IDE. Yeah, a large case is a nice idea. I guess I really don't need to do the upgrade. I could just learn to live with the glitches too.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »

2. The xbox bios is loaded in ram.
Once the xbox is booted and the dashboard is loaded and running, you don't need the harddisk anymore.
I can imagine that some dashboard wil access aditional files on the harddisk while they are running. (Like their config files.) There also are the harddisk X Y and Z cache partitions which are used by the OS. I heard about people simply formatting the X partition and ftping everything back over, so it should be possible.

Since when was IDE obsolete anyway?

The last pc Intel mobo's we purchased had no ide connectors anymore. The ps/2 keyboard and mouse connector were gone as well. Dvd drives and writers also come with a SATA interface, altough they don't need the higher speed. If I go to my local computer shop and ask him for a pata drive, he wil start to scratch his hair. I know you still can buy them, I just don't know for how long still. It's like the xbox 1 modchip. You still can find them, but I think once the stock is sold, it's game over.

If your original harddisk isn't ide, it's possible that the computer is only having one ide port. In that case, you can't use the xboxhdm package. xboxhdm2 is what you need. It can boot from an usb stick, so you might be able to use your dvd drive connection.

About the glitches, are you talking about something that works one day, and not the other, or are you talking about something that has worked before and isn't working anymore after you made some changes to the softmod?

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 7 2009, 04:44 AM) *
2. The xbox bios is loaded in ram.
Once the xbox is booted and the dashboard is loaded and running, you don't need the harddisk anymore.
I can imagine that some dashboard wil access aditional files on the harddisk while they are running. (Like their config files.) There also are the harddisk X Y and Z cache partitions which are used by the OS. I heard about people simply formatting the X partition and ftping everything back over, so it should be possible.

Yep. I know that on the xBox Media Center, it frequently accesses the hard drive within the dashboard. Does that mean that I would basically just "FTP over" the softmod? Isn't there a patching process that happens in the bios or something?

The last pc Intel mobo's we purchased had no ide connectors anymore. The ps/2 keyboard and mouse connector were gone as well. Dvd drives and writers also come with a SATA interface, altough they don't need the higher speed. If I go to my local computer shop and ask him for a pata drive, he wil start to scratch his hair. I know you still can buy them, I just don't know for how long still. It's like the xbox 1 modchip. You still can find them, but I think once the stock is sold, it's game over.

Hmm. It might be to make them smaller. The ps/2 plug was just occupying extra space unless you actually use ps/2 mice/keyboards.

If your original harddisk isn't ide, it's possible that the computer is only having one ide port. In that case, you can't use the xboxhdm package. xboxhdm2 is what you need. It can boot from an usb stick, so you might be able to use your dvd drive connection.

Okay. That sounds like it might be "do able". I'll be sure to keep that one in mind if I find that all the other procedures for upgrading will not work.

About the glitches, are you talking about something that works one day, and not the other, or are you talking about something that has worked before and isn't working anymore after you made some changes to the softmod?

regards.

The glitches have always been there. Specifically when the xromwell xbe file refuses to start on a high definition telly. It doesn't even give me a chance to select an os. It just gives me a black screen as soon as I leave the xBox media center. I think the ring of light changes to orange prematurely as well. A real "head scratcher".

Thanks for all your help.

- 2 Bunny

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »

1. The patching of the bios is done by the nkpatcher which is launched by the font exploit. It happens every time you boot your xbox. M$dash starting... Font Exploit starting... Nkpatcher starting, patching the bios and launching your new dash.

2. The last generation of pc's are slowly losing their compatibality with the original ibm pc at design.
The driving force behind leaving away the PS/2 connectors is reducing the price as much as possible.

3. As you might know, there are 3 different types of video encoders used in the different models of xboxes. Maybe you have a setup problem with your xromwell not being configured for the correct encoder. You can configue the nkpatcher to vga patch the video encoder. In that case, you can connect the video signals to a vga monitor. (In case it accepts sync on green.) Is your xbox media center using a hires mode to display it's output? What AV cable are you using to connect the television? Is your xbox configured for pal or ntsc? If you let it boot to the M$dash instead of xbmc, does it boot into one of the hires modes?
I haven't experimented with linux yet. So it's hard to give a more accurate answer.

regards.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 8 2009, 04:56 AM) *
1. The patching of the bios is done by the nkpatcher which is launched by the font exploit. It happens every time you boot your xbox. M$dash starting... Font Exploit starting... Nkpatcher starting, patching the bios and launching your new dash.

2. The last generation of pc's are slowly losing their compatibality with the original ibm pc at design.
The driving force behind leaving away the PS/2 connectors is reducing the price as much as possible.

3. As you might know, there are 3 different types of video encoders used in the different models of xboxes. Maybe you have a setup problem with your xromwell not being configured for the correct encoder. You can configue the nkpatcher to vga patch the video encoder. In that case, you can connect the video signals to a vga monitor. (In case it accepts sync on green.) Is your xbox media center using a hires mode to display it's output? What AV cable are you using to connect the television? Is your xbox configured for pal or ntsc? If you let it boot to the M$dash instead of xbmc, does it boot into one of the hires modes?
I haven't experimented with linux yet. So it's hard to give a more accurate answer.

regards.

1. So it actually does launch the ms dash at first, even if it isn't patched to do so? And the gamesave softmod is considered a "font" hack?

2. Why IBM? Why not hp or something?

3. The xromwell file does not have a configuration option for that. How can I do that thing with the NkPatcher you were talking about? Does it make any difference if I have a version 1 crazy softmod instead of 1.1? When I use it on a high definition telly, I use it in HD mode, usually 1080i or 720p with a YoBo Component cable. I saw another xBox where it did work. I know that it had a specially done linux boot cfg file with three entries that all pointed to the same Linux, but each one was specifically adjusted to HD modes in the cfg file, and each title was customized so that you could know which one was which hd mode.

LOL! I didn't know that you meant hi res when you said hires. I was like "hires? What is it hiring, I guess I'll have to look stupid and ask him what hires are", and then about three quarters of the way into my post, I figured it out.

- 2 Bunny