xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-bit Flashing Red/green  (Read 92 times)

SaintCamber

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

Greetings!  I'm now stumped.  Advice please.

I have a v1.1 xbox with a samsung drive.  I have a v1.5 xbit chip.  I flashed the chip with 5 banks. 1024 cromwell in 1, m8 in 2, x4983_06 in 3, and x4983_67 in 4, 5 was left blank.

With a pogopin install, I would get the dim led and proper booting with switch 4 on.  Activiating the xbit gave the bright green led, but kept booting the MS bios regardless of the switch positions.  A search through the forums indicated that the D0 pin likely was not properly pulling D0 to ground, so fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.  No dice.

I then tried a soldered install.  D0 is quite a pain.  Upon booting with a wire on D0, I get no boot and the drive led flashing green and red...even with the chip deactivated with the D0 switch.  I've tried resoldering a few times and it is always the same result.  I've checked the other wires, and they are all properly installed.  If I yank the D0 wire off, the machine will boot ever so happily into the MS bios.

Any thoughts?  I'm stumped.

Dave

SaintCamber

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »

Further information.  I went ahead and resoldered to the alternate D0 point and verified all the connections with a DMM.  

I reformatted with the xbit1.5wxp.exe and choose option 5.  I wrote cromwell-2.32 to bank 1, m8 to bank 2, and x24983 to banks 3 and 4.  Verification showed all writes okay.  Only odd thing I noticed was each time I clicked write (regardless of bank) it would erase blocks 32-35 prior to begining write.

With the harness connected to the modchip, the xbox will not boot (3 tries and green/red power led flash).  This occurs even with STM on.  Removing the harness from the chip allows for a normal boot.  

Shall I assume the chip is a DOA at this point?

Dave

kronchev

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »

hmm

cant comment on the bios writing problem but the on-off problem is what i had. the weird thing is that before i broke the trace, it worked fine 1 out of every 3 bootups. you very well might have a bad chip however.

Ba33a

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

I also have a x-bit 1.5 chip and am trying to put it in a xbox 1.4, i soldered it in with the supplied wires and it just frags, when i used the pogo pins it does nothing just boots up normal, Im just wondering is it a bad chip or am i doing something wrong, im sure i flashed the chip correctly but i dont know, strange thing is though when i put switch 4 on it reboots itself twice then loads up original dashboard and bios cant anyone help?

Sexy Jeep

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

Hey guy's, this chip is a pain in the fuc*ing ass.  I messed around with my V1.5 chip for 15 hours trying to get it to work before it finally did.  This chip is a piece of shit, and I don't think I will ever buy an X-B.I.T V1.5 again.  The X-B.I.T V1.0 is way better.

I kept getting "Christmas lights" no matter how I had the chip seated on the board (I was installing on an Xbox_V1.3).  I must have re-seated the chip over 40 times before I finally got it to not frag.  This chip is highly sensitive.  I chose the pogo-pin install and found that you must wiggle the main pogo-pin's on the chip back and forth over the top of the LPC holes and make sure that each one is firmly in place.  Forget about the “D0”, that’s easy compared to getting them main pogo-pins connected.  Once you get the main pins in place, you have to move the chip as little as possible to get the "D0" to drop in place.  The slightest over-movement of the chip while aligning the "D0" will result in one of the main pins not making contact with the board.  Even though the "D0" may now be in place, one or more of the main pins may no longer be (resulting in a frag).

Now, if your soldering this bitch and your still fragging, then I really don't know what to tell ya'.  The only way I could see it not working on a solder job is if you bridged a connection, didn't make full contact on all connections, or didn't connect each wire to the proper circuit.  If your 100% sure that each wire is connected correctly and firmly in place and your still fragging, then I would say your fuc*ed and I would try to send the chip back, or try the chip on another system.

Jeepy

Schaufenster

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing Red/green
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (Sexy Jeep @ Nov 27 2004, 03:17 AM)
I kept getting "Christmas lights" no matter how I had the chip seated on the board (I was installing on an Xbox_V1.3).  I must have re-seated the chip over 40 times before I finally got it to not frag.  This chip is highly sensitive.  I chose the pogo-pin install and found that you must wiggle the main pogo-pin's on the chip back and forth over the top of the LPC holes and make sure that each one is firmly in place.  Forget about the “D0”, that’s easy compared to getting them main pogo-pins connected.  Once you get the main pins in place, you have to move the chip as little as possible to get the "D0" to drop in place.  The slightest over-movement of the chip while aligning the "D0" will result in one of the main pins not making contact with the board.  Even though the "D0" may now be in place, one or more of the main pins may no longer be (resulting in a frag).

I seem to have the exact same problem. I should try soldering now.