xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Huge Newbie Help  (Read 283 times)

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:20:00 AM »

Hello im sure one of you guys could lend me a hand with this. I can get the bios to flash on to the chip im using Bios x2_4983.67_256k. i put it in the Bank 6 Bios 6 and set the Dip switches to what they need to be. I have read all the Tutorials on how to make a Boot disk so i can get the dashboard but everytime i put the disk in after shutting down the Xbox and restarting it, the dang thing says that it cannot read the disc. I have been trying to figure it out by reading the posts but i am lost. Please help me. Thank You  :popcorn:

kenmood

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »

Do you see Xecuter2 logo on boot screen?

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »

no when it loads up all that it does is boot the normal MS way.

kenmood

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

Ok, so it is a d0 problem. Which Xbox version do you have?

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

I believe i have a v1.5 when i read the tutorial that you posted in another message board. Also what is the d0?

kenmood

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

"The d0" is one of the 8 data lines (d0-d7) between the MCPX and the onboard flash ROM. While Xbox boots, it tries to read BIOS from the flash ROM, but if that fails e.g. because flash ROM is broken, Xbox tries to recover by trying to read external ROM via LPC bus. Mod chips utilize this fact by pulling d0 to ground and therefore corrupting data read from the onboard flash ROM and causing Xbox to read modded BIOS via LPC bus (from a flash memory on mod chip).

Usually when d0 is referred, the referrer means top-side d0 (via) which most mod chips utilize (see the picture):
(IMG:http://www.dms3.com/xbit/files/chips/Xbit_Install_Diagrams/Xbit_Pinheader_Install/xpinheader7.jpg)
ps. There is also "bottom-side d0", but you cannot use that unless you are going to solder.

You have v1.5 Xbox, so you have to "prepare d0" (just focus on d0 prep and ignore the soldering issues on the article).

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »

Alright so i went and i scrapped the d0 like the tut told me to and i have the copper showing like it told me to. When i put the chip back into place and i boot it up i still do not get the Xcuter where the MS logo would be it still boots up like normal. I have been working on this all day and still i don't have a single change since i first tried. Is there any hope for me   :uhh:

kenmood

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

Your problem could be the same as this guy has.

Have you plugged in that extra cable to connects to the DVD power cable?

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »

they never sent me another cable with the chip the only one they sent me were the USB, Black and Yellow, and the cable with the plug end and just bare wire endings. What size wire do i need to tape it and where do i ground it to? would simply lifting one screw up on mother board and sticking wire under work? I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »

alright i got the Xbox to work XECUTER2 is in place of the MS logo. I did the scraping that you lead me to and i guess i didn't scrap enough when i posted the one about the scraping didn't work. So I appreciate your help and i hope that what i have done helps others out.

guber42

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »

whoops! looks like we just posted at the same time. i was gonna tell you something else to try but it looks like you figured it out

This post has been edited by guber42 on Oct 9 2004, 10:03 PM

stangman26

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

Thank You again for all of your help i don't think i could have done it with out your help. I'll catch ya around in the message boards.

kenmood

• Archived User
Huge Newbie Help
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »

See you, stangman26. I just thought that you could have Xbit v1.5 which comes with a new power supply / ground wire, but never mind.  B)