xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbit Install....but....  (Read 103 times)

sk8ersublime

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« on: May 19, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »

OK So i had a different Thread on here, but i wanted to start a new one now that im really confused.  I had a this same problem with the pogo install. I have a 1.5 or a 1.4. The problem kept happening, so i soldered the chip in today. I was all excited, and then BLAM!! Same shit... The chip works fine in my friends Xbox's which are 1.0 and 1.3 or 1.4 cant remember. But i dont understand what is happening to this. Plz help me!! Thnx

Chad

ChrisF

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »

This is why it's better to use the same thread..if I remember correctly you were using a current bios x4981.06 or x4983.06 so specific versions of the Xbox are not a factor in the bios itself.

If the chip works in your friends it is obviously functioning.  That leaves your install or potentially your motherboard and unfortunately the symptom is the same but testing the chip gives you a fair amount of info.

So D0 is correct, the chip is flashed and functioning - this leaves:
1) LPC connection - bad soldering possibly
2) LPC damage to the motherboard (this is somewhat rare but gets more likely as you establish that the chip/bios are fine and try multiple install methods and repeat the install).

Occasionally the LPC can take localized damage if a trace is broken, bridged, etc..  What you end up with is a perfectly functioning stock Xbox but one that is unable to load a bios from an LPC modchip regardless of how perfect the install is.  This can happen with a bad solder job (or desoldering) and also with a pogo pin modchip being seated as it is scraped accross the motherboard.  

I'd try resoldering one more time.  At that point you are left with the tast of examing the motherboard and looking for any damage on the LPC or traces surrounding it.  Mutlimetering each LPC point to points further back on the trace and testing for continuity is what most people do.  Unfortunately it can get ugly at this point for a lot of people since their skill at electronics repair is non-existant (I've been in the same boat before due to sloppy desoldering so you aren't alone...where do you think I learned a lot about diagnostic issues and troubleshooting).  Options for a damaged motherboard include trying to repair it yourself, finding an electronics repair shop and explaining exactly what is wrong, or working with a good installer in the installers forum either locally or via mail (you want someone that's experienced not some rookie chip solderer - I know someone if you need a reference).

None of this is terribly good news but that's where you stand right now.

sk8ersublime

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »

:-(....i dropped solder in all the holes before i soldered the wires in, and also had to solder wires 2 and 6 to a resistor or a capacator (i dont know what it is..) check out the Xbox 1.5 Solder install to get what im talkin about. The bios i used for it is X2 4981 colored i got from a friend.  ill have my friend check out the board for damage. This is a big disapointment :-(. But thank you for all the help Chris. you've shed the light to me about how crappy a pogo install can be :-). Thanks a lot. Ill post what happens next.

Chad

ChrisF

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »

One doesn't get good at diagnosing issues by being perfect.  I ended up burning up an LPC trace on the mobo with an Xecuter 2.0 Pro which didn't come preflashed, had a known issue with the flash program, and in the same week several known bad chips went out.  Talk about a nightmare install and troubleshoot.  I spend well over 50 hours on that thing before sending the chip back and after the replacement failed finally realized it was the mobo (I soldered the pinheader and wired installs no less than 20 times - I shit you not).  I said screw it and sent it off.  That first experience gave me a good grounding and lot of practice soldering so now I can get a chip installed in just a few minutes - unless DMS ships a chip with broken pogos as they did to my friend.

All that being said it is very worth it to have a modded Xbox.  For a media streamer/storer/player with this functionality you'd pay in the thousands for a product like this.  It's way ahead of its time.

Also - it's not just pogos.  This happens from time to time regardless of install method.  It's a matter of n00b bad luck.  Pogos are fine for 95% of everyone out there.  They sit there and wonder why other people have issues and get frustrated thinking it's just user error while the other 5% pulls their hair out.  Pogos just have more varriance than solder chips and aren't as flexible to install.

This post has been edited by ChrisF on May 20 2004, 04:52 PM

sk8ersublime

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

I have one more question. What does each wire/point do? Im asking because i soldered the chip with out soldering the 2 and 6 wire. Obviously one of them is the power. If i do in fact have a 1.5 the soldering to the Capacitor thing gives it power.  So im wondering if i solder it to the 1.3 diagram if it could damage my board. And another question is, are the 1.4 and 1.5 the same for wire installs? because the website has no info on installs for 1.4. If you have done a 1.4 let me know or send a pic. Thnx.

chad

xgeek

• Archived User
Xbit Install....but....
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »

Um do the 1.3/1.4 install

I will be suprised if you have a 1.5 , if in doubt grab a multimeter and check for grounding on the LpC to screw plates