xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Matrix Help!  (Read 164 times)

da_shiznit

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

Hello, i have a Matrix modchip and its worked fine for about a year or so and for the past month, i have occasionally get errors like 13 and 16(dashboard errors). Sometimes I get a black screen on bootup.  So I updated my Evox dashboard and still get the errors.  Now these errors only happen 1 out of 4 bootups I would say and if it boots up fine, all my programs and games work 110% fine.   I've checked that all the wires are plugged in and they look good from the outside. The modchip is aligned right and in place im pretty sure.  Any help will be appreciated.  Could it be that somehow its a bad bios on the modchip or could it get corrupted and need to reflash the matrix? If so, what Bios should i use?? Thanks in advance

Exzir

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »

Matrix mod chips always wil have an alignment problems.  Unles you solder them onto the motherboard.  What I would do to verify the matrix is haveing an alignment problem is to power up the xbox in the dark.  When it works good turn off the tv and anyother lights and see if you can see a green light comeing from the inside of the box.   If you can then goto the next step.  If you still can not then please post so I can post another way.

Then when it does not work in the dark see if you can see a red light or if you can see no light at all.  I am guessing that the matrix could have a grounding issue and when it does not work no light due to no ground.

To fix the error 13 and 16 get slayer 2.6 from #xbins and reinstall the msdash board when the chip is working fine.

This post has been edited by Exzir: Dec 1 2004, 11:45 AM

da_shiznit

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

Matrix mod chips always wil have an alignment problems. Unles you solder them onto the motherboard. What I would do to verify the matrix is haveing an alignment problem is to power up the xbox in the dark. When it works good turn off the tv and anyother lights and see if you can see a green light comeing from the inside of the box. If you can then goto the next step. If you still can not then please post so I can post another way.

Then when it does not work in the dark see if you can see a red light or if you can see no light at all. I am guessing that the matrix could have a grounding issue and when it does not work no light due to no ground.

What error would come up because of this?? Yes, I get alignment problems occasionally(1 every couple months or so) but why would the ground change if i just reboot it 1 or 2 times and i didnt bump it or anything?(somehow, i highly doubt alignment is the problem) Also why would I get a black screeen and 13, 16 errors because of alignment problems?

Thanks for the advice.

Exzir

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

If the chip is not grounded then it does not have anything to stop the onboard bios from booting.  When you boot the onboard bios it will get an error becuase it can not boot up the msdashboard.  To verify this try when the chip works to run the msdash you should still get the same error message.  The ground could be just slightly off and sometimes it is not good enough to give it the proper connection to make the chip / mod power up but if you reboot a couple of times it might make the connection better.  You are not the first person with a matrix to have this issue and I am certaint by far not the last.  I hope this helps you out some.

faramisimo

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

i also have a problem with the matrix. my xbox was running fine. but only with the matrix modchip. i think there was something wrong with the tsop  probably corrupt.  then one day it started to freez on boot every now and then. sop i decided to reallign the chip thinjking that might be the problem . but that wasnt the problem. whenever i do place the matrix on test mode and align it it will blink green  as if it is aligned and it does look like its in the right place. but then the green led will stay on and fade into red. after fading into red is completed it will start blinking red once again .. once rebooted the same thing goes on agian ..

i am thinking its a d0 problem. i have no idea what a d0 is all about so i will just leave it at that and maybe hopefully pls pls get some help on this from someone who knows more about these isues with the matrix.

help :(

Faramisimo

Exzir

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »

Goto the xboxscene.com and click on mod chip and check out an install methoid for any chip for a 1.0 mother board it will show you where d0 is on the top of the motherboard.  This is the spot that makes the light green.  Other methoids to get the chip aligned are to tigten and or loosen the screw.  I have over tightened it several times and a half to a 1/8th turn is all I needd to do.  I do it in 1/8th turns and it works.  The misnomer for the green light align is only for alignment of the d0 and not the rest of the lpc so please don't get confused and think that the green light means that everythign is working./

faramisimo

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »

the thing is waht worries me is the fact that whenever it blinks green ( in test mode)  it slowly fades to a solid red then starts blinking in red. thats the wierd part about it.  is that normal is the matrix chip dead?

krackheadbill

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »

clean the pins with some alchohol and a q tip. Make sure they dry completly and try again.

Exzir

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 04:31:00 AM »

No you chip is not dead just not getting a connection.  This is why alot of people do a solder install of the chip.  The bet methoid is a pin header with the pogo pins removed.

DV8ORMODS

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »

why not just try a newer chip the matrix is outdated and has alignment problems way too much I would go with an alladdin and a xenium solderless adapter should be to get all the for 25 bucks n the buysell trade thread and you will not have to worry about alignment after that cause the adpter is more dependalbe

da_shiznit

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »

maybe we dont have that kind of money to spar :blink:  :unsure: , but anyways i tightened my chip and so far i havent gotten the error yet so... i dunno if my problem is solved or not,.... i hope so but yea...

faramisimo

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 01:22:00 AM »

yeahh i did try an aladin live.  i know i had a problem with the xbox it wouldnt start on its own it only used to start with the matrix. when this problem began i decided to try the aladin but that idnt go i never installed an aladin before so i dont know if i have done that corrctly or not. i am going to try and solder the matrix pin by pin insteand it will work if its a connection problem and i really really really hope it is

i will let u know guys how things go as soon as i install it.  thank you so much for the feed back.

faramisimo

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

nahh still does  the same thing.. its not an allignment problem.  i soldered all the pins to where they are sopposed to go  on the xbox motherboard and it still has the same problem whenever i power the xbox it goes on and off then on and off then on  mean while every time it powers up the matrix  when its on test more it flashes green  then fades into red. even when it stays on. it flashes green then the led fades into red over a 2 second period.  not instantly ..
did anyone see that before?

da_shiznit

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

did you know if you have a good bios flashed on it??

Exzir

• Archived User
Matrix Help!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

what did you do with the d0 connection.  That is what I want to know about.  If that is correct then I am guessing there is a problem with the chip.  Also you did enable it after the solder install to make sure it did not infact work.  I mean your not getting an error on the screen just the 3 power offs and FRAG.