xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Longer Able To Boot From Dvd Drive  (Read 159 times)

bloom

• Archived User
No Longer Able To Boot From Dvd Drive
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

Please help! I just spent 12 hours trying to rehabilitate my broken xbox. First thing I did was reinstall Matrix which was dislodged - no problem. At that point I still couldn't boot to EvolutionX from my replacement HDD (which I've been using for the past year), but I could boot from the original HDD to MS dashboard with chip working in mode 2. So, I figured I'd just boot EvolutionX from media and then fix everything via FTP... but the problem is I cannot boot from any removable media. I've tried DVD-R, DVD-RW, and CD-RW, burned every which way, but nothing works. Even swapped out the DVD drive from my "spare parts" xbox - to no avail. Tried to boot from media using a PC-DVD drive using the swap trick - no luck. Funny thing is, all of these drives play orig Xbox games and pressed DVDs and audio CDs with no problem.

Is there any way to get around the problem of not being able to boot from removable media? Yesterday I read on Slashdot about the Xenium - the article seemed to imply that the OS is preloaded on the chip. This would seem to present a solution to my problem. Or perhaps there is another solution, like maybe a place where I could get a pressed CD-ROM or DVD with EvolutionX.

Right now I'm looking at buying any of the dozens of other products that can stream media from one's PC to one's home theater/hifi system - but the truth is that there is nothing out there that does what I want, as well as the xbox does with xbmc. I guess I could buy a premodded xbox but those are kind of pricey. Any ideas? TIA.

bloom

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

Thought I might add that attempts to load anything from recordable media results in the message that goes something like, "can't read this disc, check to see that disc is an xbox game or DVD or audio CD or that it's not dirty or damaged, etc."

Maybe I've just become stupider during the past year or so since I first modded my xbox, and now there's something wrong with the way I'm burning my discs (tried different versions of EvolutionX, created ISOs using Craxtion, tried the "dummied" isos, burned everything using Nero). In that case maybe someone would offer to sell me an EvolutionX disc that is known to be bootable?

Exzir

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 04:07:00 AM »

Hey,

It just sounds to me like the chip is being disabled or something.  Put the chip in mode 4 (blinking orange) and if it boots up use a saved game exploit that has evox and ftp into the xbox that way.  

You can then ether reflash the chip with evox(this will tell you the chip is aligned and all.) or you can fix what ever it was via ftp you were tring to fix.

This really sounds like the mod chip is ether disabled or it is not aligned correctly.

bloom

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

Exzir, thanks for your reply. I should note here that since I reinstalled the Matrix chip (the first thing I did), the LED on the Matrix has been solid green whenever power is applied to the Xbox. My assumption was that, if the LED is green, the modchip is properly installed, and properly overriding the Xbox's native bios. Perhaps this is an incorrect assumption? Please advise.

solid7x2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

I have had to realign my matrix a couple of times, and I have found the LED to be extremely unreliable. The only time it worked properly was the first time I aligned the chip.  I also fixed a friends matrix after he stripped the screw and used the bolt method to fix.  I found the light was unreliable on his also.  My bios says Executer 2 instead of MS when it boots properly, so I would move it a micrometer, boot and wait. Move it a micrometer, boot, repeat. Eventually It will work.  Lots of times it wont boot properly even thogh the light was lit up.  I also recomend using the original hard drive and make sure everything is plugged in while doing this (but hanging out the side). once it boots properly with the original hard drive to a dash, then try a dvd or cdrw. if this works, swap to the larger hard drive and go from there.
You may notice from my sig that I am using an older bios. this is because I dont want to open up my box and risk having to align my chip being how its the biggest pain in the A, and has taken me 2 hours straight to align before   :angry:

dont know if this is what u were lookin for or if this answer the question properly tho hehe :P

bloom

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »

Thanks, solid7x2, your reply was very helpful. I haven't tried to follow your advice yet, but at least now I have new hope!

nothingclever

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

I have a similar issue.  My mod Xbox works great.  I currently have a 120GB hard drive.  No problems with playing games. However, I can not boot from any CD/CDR DVD/DVDR.  The Evox dash recognizes the disc as Xbox compatible and I can launch it once the EVOX dash is loaded.  But it will not boot from the media.  I know the media is good because I have a second Mod Xbox that boots from the media.  I recently flashed my chip to enable the G: Drive support.  
I want to install a 260Gb.   Any help would be great.
Thanks for the work and advice.

Exzir

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 03:59:00 AM »

Hey just double check that the bios has the correct name for the dvd ares default.xbe.  Some people like me don't have this enabled in the bios beucase I always want to load up evox.  I even when as far as to edit my bios and put evox into a evox directory and run a cut down version for my chameleon and I had it say boot linux boot xbox live play off line games.  I had the off live games one with all my evox options and it would play games but it would disable the NIC so I would not acadently connect to an xbox live game.

nothingclever

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »

How do I check the Bios.  Under system management I have auto enabled for games and DVD's?
Thanks again

Exzir

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

Well this is harder to check after the fact.  

It might be easier to get a new bios from #xbins and reflash the chip with a default bios and see if that solves the problem.  If it does then you know it was some options in the bios that caused it to boot inproportly.  Now with the ind-bio you will need a config file to config everything.  For testing purposes I would stick with a x2 bios just to test it is the bios.  I am 100% certaint that it will solve your problem since you can launch the game from evox.  

This post has been edited by Exzir on Oct 8 2004, 10:02 PM

nothingclever

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I reflashed the chip with an older Bios.  DVD booted fine.  I lost G: support.  However, I was able to build the new hard drive, reflashed with bios that supported G: and everything is somewhat happy in my world.  
Thanks again for the help.