xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Drivers...failed Installation  (Read 478 times)

cowgill

• Archived User
Usb Drivers...failed Installation
« on: March 24, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

A customer brought me a X-Chip to put in, first time I've dealt with them (and hopefully the last).   The USB drivers won't install.  Please tell me I am forgetting something insanely stupid and make my troubles go away.  Windows XP tells me that the drivers I am pointing it to have no information about this hardware.  Are there updated drivers that I somehow am missing?  Please don't tell me to "follow the directions". In other threads I've seen people blow off others in my situation.  I've searched but can't find a solution.

BTW, it's the same situation as this dude:
thread <

elgeneralissimo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »

i had this problem too the day i got my x-chip.

I can't remember what I did to get it to work but it seemed the driver installation software wasn't very solid.

I think i just kept trying it (on different usb ports) until it finally took, also, the order of the installation in the instructions was different than what happened on my pc.  but it eventually "took" and found the drivers.

good luck sorry i couldn't help more, but i do remember the drivers being a bit of a pisser in the beginning. <

Mandalore

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »

Are you using the X-chip lite?

I've successfully installed the drivers when my x-chip was connected but when I try to install with x-chip lite it won't install drivers. Me thinks it's the Lite version because the device isn't recognized as EZbk usb just as unknown device.

Looks like were gonna have to http flash it or use a cd <

cowgill

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »

Got it.

I went and tried it on another computer, worked just fine. I don't know what is different, but I am thinking it might be a conflict with other USB drivers.

BTW, it's just a regular X Chip, not a Lite.

I don't think I'm ever going to deal with EB2k again.  I got a fake chip from them in the past (PS2 'Magic'), and now have just completed the flakiest install of my career.

Thanks for the help guys.

This post has been edited by cowgill: Mar 25 2005, 04:11 PM <

Mandalore

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(cowgill @ Mar 25 2005, 02:05 PM)
Got it.

I went and tried it on another computer, worked just fine. I don't know what is different, but I am thinking it might be a conflict with other USB drivers.

BTW, it's just a regular X Chip, not a Lite.

I don't think I'm ever going to deal with EB2k again.  I got a fake chip from them in the past (PS2 'Magic'), and now have just completed the flakiest install of my career.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yea I wish they would have said if you can use a programmer or not with the x-chip lite but I see no mention of it. I see no mention of it being able to as well though. Not that it's a big deal but they should document it better. <

Easybuy2000

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

This is a very common mistake when trying to install the drivers for the X-Chip.  Let me explain.

First of all the drivers are very solid and has been tested allot in many different hardware setups.

Second the X-Lite cannot flash over USB becuase it does NOT have this function in hardware. The X-Lite is flashed over HTTP via your network through the Xbox.

Let's get back to the X-Chip. The X-Chip uses the Cypress chip to control its USB functions. We have provided special drivers that allow the Windows OS to comunicate with the X-Chip hardware. Now these drivers are unsigned.

What does this mean well it means that these drivers are not certified by MS.

So after you install the X-Control software onto your PC and connect the X-Chip to your USB port your Windows OSt will detect new hardware.

Upon detection you MUST click on the advanced tab and you MUST specify the drivers that we suppy with the X-Control software. You MUST also do this twice because there are 2 drivers that need to be installed.

If you simply click on next and tell Windows to find the dirver via the recommended tab it WILL FAIL.

It will instead try to install the default signed Cypress driver that is comes with the XP install. After that fact if you try to install the driver again it will report cannot find hardware or cannot install driver.

You MUST install the drivers the FIRST time you connect the X-Chip to your USB port the CORRECT way as described in the X-Control user guide.

You must use our drivers that we specify. You cannot override a signed driver (default Cypress driver) with a unsigned driver (the driver the we suppy).

Once a signed driver is installed especially in service pack 2 you cannot override it with a unsigned driver.

I hope this clears things up.

<

Mandalore

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

Yup that cleared everything up. <