xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Exploit Vs. Modchip  (Read 30 times)

Pebble

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« on: July 15, 2003, 01:27:00 PM »

Does a modchip and a exploit with the solder and flashed have the same abilities.  Meaning if you use the exploit, solder the mobo, and flash do you still have to go through the signing xbe hassle?

Thanks

shanafan

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »

No, thats why modchips are better, and support the scene.

Pebble

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 01:31:00 PM »

so what is the difference between the two.

feflicker

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

With a chip you just install a bios on it, and you are done with it.

With the exploit, prepare yourself for a "ride"  biggrin.gif

Pebble

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »

i have a modchip with a switch already and it works great but is there any difference in their abilities besides the installation of the modchip and the obvious hassle with the exploits?  

For example is there any program or games that a modchip would be able to run the exploit could not?  Or does the flash bios using the exploit fix all the signing xbe and reset ejecting problems.

inneedofhelp

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »

Listen, you can easily screw up your system with the exploits.  Use your modchip and never give into the temptation to try the exploit.

dankydoo

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (inneedofhelp @ Jul 15 2003, 11:09 PM)
Listen, you can easily screw up your system with the exploits.  Use your modchip and never give into the temptation to try the exploit.

It is much easier to botch a solder job than copying two damn  font files.....Im sick of people that 'disslike' the exploit because they dropped money on a modchip giving false information......It does the same damn thing!

dankydoo

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 05:46:00 PM »

LOL, I figured.  "MY xbox is fried because im a tard.....get a modchip"....that's funny...

UnhappyKlown3

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 07:51:00 PM »

I don't think his question was "Which one is better?", it was "Does an exploited, and flashed, Xbox work just like a modded, and flashed, Xbox?"

Pebble

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »

I don't mean to start a war of modchips versus exploit.  I have a modchip which works great, I wouldn't even consider switching over.  I just wanted to know for general knowledge if "... an exploited and flashed Xbox, work just like a modded and flashed Xbox?"

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »

Modchips are far more tolerant of screwups.

Hose up your system with an exploit, and either 1) Purchase a modchip, or 2) toss it in the closet.

There is usually a fallback (like the 007 exploit) that will work in most cases, but there are situations that can FUBAR it completely.

Wooger

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »

Yea if you dont keep that 007 / Mech assault save game on your xbox and you fubar an exploit up... well.... time to get a mod chip LOL.....  On the other hand .. I had a mod chip and took it out and flashed my TSOP.  I would recommend this way over both the exploits and the Mod Chip method.  Now I have the ability to actually go between bios's with ease for testing and not have to worry about the mod chip bouncing loose (if you use pogo pins).  I like the exploit method alot but its definatly not an exact science.  

But as for your question:

Depending on your kernel version depends on if you can actually make backups of games using the exploit method.
If you have anything other than the 4034 kernel at the moment it appears you can only play backups and apps.  But not create backups of games.

Mod Chip / TSOP flash... will always allow you to make and play backups.

Wooger

Wooger

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 07:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (StandardX @ Jul 16 2003, 04:48 PM)
I had been toying with the idea of of buying a modchip for sometime then one day browsing the web I came across this exploit. I then came to the xbox-scene forums and followed some really good tutorials ( reading them fully and understanding the risks invloved !) and performed the exploit which has worked really well except for a few "bugs" which I think will be ironed out in future releases. I may still get a modchip because I feel I have got a much better understanding of how the  xbox works but to damn the exploit simply because its new and you need to follow the instructions CAREFULLY is wrong. Anyway i can't wait for the next batch of new exploits to come along   smile.gif

Agree'd...

Another release or two of the COMPLEX-Loader and there will be no reason to really get a mod chip.

As to anyone saying that M$ will muck your box up when you have a exploit installed its just as easy to do with a mod chip.  A quick version check of the Kernel installed and they can just as easily muck with your hard drive writing crap to it if they feel like it.

Wooger

dgalmo

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »

tongue.gif

Wooger

• Archived User
Exploit Vs. Modchip
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (dgalmo @ Jul 16 2003, 05:28 PM)
This should end this trhead.....

I have both a chip and this exploit

I used this exploit because i was tired of my chip disaligning, damn matrix, and i know i could have soldered it, but ....

i used this exploit, and yes, it was harder and trickier to finaly get working than my modchip was

i agree that when a new complex loader comes out, it will perform just like a modchip,

i dont use the current loader, i just signed everything myself cause i couldnt get the menu to work in loader, oh well

BUT

i would have had to buy a chip if i hadnt already had one cause i slipped up once or twice while doing the install,

IM JUST SAYING, that a chip runs of the pre-installed bios, nothing can go wronge here, no matter what happens to your C:/ files on your box, you can always boot a EVOX cd with a chip and repair anything

if you mess up with the exploit, and cant get anything to boot up, how is the 007 hack gonna work?  I guess you'll be learning the HDD swap real quick?

also, im really not sure if MS will attempt to send an ECM to mess with this exploit, but i KNOW that if they do, i got my chip to get me back in, who knows what their ECM will do, if it wont allow you boot originals then youll be up shit creek without a paddle

just my opinion, if you think im wronge, your wronge, lol  kidding tongue.gif

Good point about the mod chip being able to boot say an evox cd to fix things......

But as far as the hot drive swap.. pulling out the ide cables while the drive is running.. your crazy...
It may work but those leads are hot when you do this... very dangerous in my oppinion.....

Wooger