xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Someone Up There Hates Me.  (Read 444 times)

Bingowings

• Archived User
Someone Up There Hates Me.
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »

Hello there.

This morning I had a lovely, mostly functional soft-modded xbox with the retail 8GB hard drive running evox.

I was having problems loading an emulator (the roms were poorly named) so I deleted it via FTP (using crossover cable) and tried putting it back with a less wordy and less punctuation mark full rom set.

Instead of showing the file name is had a non-English symbol in the directory and returned to dash when I attempted to activate it.

I tried this a number of times with different emulators and the same happened.

From then on in anything I FTP'd to the Xbox was a strange character.

There was plenty of memory and all the files were reported as successfully transfered so I thought I'd clear the E drive and replace the original C drive from a back up and start again (this worked when I had problems soft-modding a friends xbox before I got the crossover cable).

I then got error 21.

All the files had gone over and were showing on filezilla as the same as in the back up but still no dash,

I tried putting in Halo 2 but when it leaves to register the game I get error 13 instead of the dash update message.

I have only just read about the possible error 16 problem (I had no idea about having to keep the console plugged in so the clock may have died).

If so I haven't got a windows computer and I don't want to screw up anyone else's machines attempting to hot swap (hoping I don't have to).

This forum which has been really useful in the past was off the air here early today so I was pulling my hair out.

Any idea what went wrong (with the weird transfers) and how to fix the dash problem (assuming the clock hasn't died yet)?

It's been a very stressful day.

Bingowings

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:35:00 AM »

I plugged it in as soon as I read about error 16 but it was clearly too late.

Connected it to the television and as feared error 16.

Without a windows PC to open up is this a brick now?

I take it the evox recovery disc I was in the process of preparing won't even work now???

I would really like to know what was the initial problem because it's a nice crystal xbox and I don't want this to happen again (it didn't happen on the other machine with almost the exact same files on it).

Bingowings

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »

Sorry about constantly replying to myself but I thought it best to log these questions and speculations as they happen rather than constantly adjusting the OP.

As Hotswap is probably out of the question would the two xbox plus auto installer cable swap technique used for error 13 work on 16 as well?

Bingowings

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »

I have no idea if anyone is actually reading this but I guess it might help someone in the future to catalogue this hilarious saga.

I burned myself an auto installer disc and got hold of another soft-modded machine.

I opened up the lids of both (as in the video linked in the previous post) and inserted the disc into the drive of the good machine.

Nothing happened.

I knew this disc worked and the other drive worked but it didn't want to play ball.

Then I found out that the other drive was a dreaded Thompson TGM600 so would probably never play a CD:RW unless it was music.

So I had to unscrew and swap both optical drives and then the disc played it seemed to go through the motions of reversing the mod.

I then swapped the optical discs around, reconnected the hard-drives and switched on my console and error 16.

Life is a funny thing.

Any comments of a helpful nature would be most welcome.

Koitsu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »

A quick future knowledge thing is to leave your E drive alone if this ever gets fixed. Aside from copying save folders or backing up your UDATA TDATA folders, I'd never add a damn thing to it when using a softmod. Most things in the E drive shouldn't affect anything, but shit seems to happen.

Anyway, as you have another xbox that runs burned discs, get Slayers Auto Evox Installer (shouldn't be hard to find)

Unplug the EIDE cable to the error DVD drive and turn it on. With the DVD drive unplugged, you're now supposed to get error 12, but it may be error 11 like it was with my friend's xbox. Shouldn't really matter, but this is the way to unlock your hdd to affect the changes you need to it.

Turn on your working xbox as normal and run Slayers disc. When it's up, hotswap the EIDE cable from your good xbox HDD to the error 11 or 12 HDD.

On Slayers menu, go to menu option 4a and scroll down to Restore M$ Dash (5960), and let it work. Once it's done, make sure to plug your xbox hdd's EIDE cables back to their rightful places before turning the xboxes off, or they'll lock the HDD's out, and you'll be much worse off. Hopefully, you haven't done that before reading this.

If the exploit was in the C drive, it's going to be gone, but your xbox may work again and boot to the m$ dash, and you can softmod it again. Worked for me, that's about all I can say.

This post has been edited by Koitsu: Jul 1 2013, 02:43 PM

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »

I got one word for ya, Babylon. It buries 4 dashboarrds between 2 partitions and 4 directories to remove such noob errors and worries. Its NKPatcher/Ndure circa 2013 biggrin.gif

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(SPPV @ Jul 2 2013, 11:59 AM) View Post

I got one word for ya, Babylon.
Oh, you mean it is finally finished?  biggrin.gif

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Jul 3 2013, 11:00 AM) View Post

Oh, you mean it is finally finished?  biggrin.gif

Yes and no. The main program is done and been out since end of May. Theres still a few more things I want/need to do to make it a bit better. Like a tutorial pack for on XBOX and PC, and 8MB mem card support in the PC end. Just always seen USB as easier and more readily available for people.

Koitsu

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

Here's a suggestion. When your menu options give a warning, such as "Warning: Make sure you backup your eeprom in E:/backup or this WILL fuck up," make sure it doesn't proceed *anyway* after you are sufficiently warned and try to exit with the Back button, or the B button...or any other button besides the A button.

Also, if the eeprom being backed up in the E drive is so important, make sure your programs don't wipe out the entire C drive *before* they're sure they can proceed. Do these things.

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Koitsu @ Jul 4 2013, 02:10 AM) View Post

Here's a suggestion. When your menu options give a warning, such as "Warning: Make sure you backup your eeprom in E:/backup or this WILL fuck up," make sure it doesn't proceed *anyway* after you are sufficiently warned and try to exit with the Back button, or the B button...or any other button besides the A button.

Also, if the eeprom being backed up in the E drive is so important, make sure your programs don't wipe out the entire C drive *before* they're sure they can proceed. Do these things.

If you mean me, for the eeprom it uses the classic Do you wish to proceed? Yes/No.X and Y do nothing, B whether yes is highlighted or not is the same as clicking no. And the C only gets formatted after the user clicks yes. And in the PC compiler when it makes a Shadow C XBOXHDM disc it first asks you if youve provided the eeprom. And if you lie and hit yes it will check and shut down the program if it isnt there. biggrin.gif

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »

Sorry couldnt edit above again??? Just for the record Koitsu dont confuse me with my counterparts, Im bombarded on  regular basis with noob messups and errors due to my friends errors in their scripting. I tried to design this from the view point of a complete retard and make it as retard proof as possible. Only reason I didnt include a eeprom check feature is because rename is very unreliable. Ive seen it over the years with virtualy every installer where Ux just refuses to rename the file and errors for whatever reason, maybe the stars wernt aligned proper, who knows. Im sure guys like Krayzie and Kingroach will back me on this, it happens, its a pain, so I figured Id just slam em twice with warnings, use strong language and hope for the best. Can only hand hold so much. I know you were not one of my testers so if above (which Im 99.9% sure was) directed at me its unfounded because you would know what Ive stated from personal experience. Dont assume Im just some greenhorn because I happen to be the admin at a XBOX site that may have produced sub par work in the past. Ive been XBOX since it was released in Canada, and I was a member here years ago under another name but after years of not using the account I forgot my login info and just made a new account.

Im not gunning to degrade the work of great men like Krayzie, just bring it inline with todays tech, and dumb-ass proof it.