xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Hard Drive Swap  (Read 348 times)

KevCCoy

• Archived User
Question About Hard Drive Swap
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »

OK, I had an xbox with an executer 3ce, all the bells and whistles, lcd screen executer front face and all...remmber how awesome they were?...lol

well the thing has now dies...almost 8 years of service aint bad...

question is, I had an 80 GB hard drive in it, with tons of games and emulators....
if I do a soft mod via game save hack, can i just swap out the hard drives once soft mod is done since the hard drive was already particioned as an xbox hard drive?
or is there some other steps that would need done??

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:00 AM »

If your goal is to take the 80gb hard drive from your dead Xbox and put it into a new softmodded Xbox, you'll need to unlock the 80gb hard drive with the dead Xbox's EEPROM if it's not already unlocked and then lock it with the new softmodded Xbox's EEPROM.  You can also skip the locking if you hardmod the new Xbox, perhaps by moving your old X3 stuff to the new Xbox.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »

not trying to be patronising here..
but are you sure its dead?

what kind of error are you getting and have you checked the chip is all still correctly attahced to the board including the d0 point?

or if its just not powering on have you checked to see what PSU you have could just be a foxlink psu and broke the solder joins, or the psu just died can could be replaced??

KevCCoy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »

After taking apart and looking at it, the solderless adapter D0 wire popped out...anyone have a pic of the solderless adapter and were the D0 wire might go...can't seem to locate instructions anymore on the solderless adapter....

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »

D0 point for 1.0-1.5
(IMG:http://www.surfrock66.com/sub_pages/xbox_mod/x2_mod/x2_mod_12.jpg)

D0 point on a 1.6 ( a wire has been solderd on the pad in this picture, your solderless adapter should poke ion to the hole instead
(ignore the writing on the picture i found it on google)
(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/724274147_bb3f35ac6c_o.jpg)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »

This is as good a thread to ask this as any but it is so long since I last messed about with fitting/swapping HDDs that I need a bit of a refresher. I've really only experience with fitting new or clean, wiped HDDs not ones that are already in other Xboxes.

I have a softmodded crystal Xbox used as a test bed and it was the first machine I successfully fitted with a bigger, 120GB, HDD using Chimp2618, I'm thinking about swapping it to another softmodded Xbox where it will get more use.

1). Can I just fire up the crystal Xbox, unlock the 120GB HDD (ConfigMagic?) and take it out?

2). Once done can I just put the old, locked, carefully stored retail HDD I cloned to the 120GB back into the crystal Xbox?

3). Because I'm set up for it I intend to use Chimp2618 again to do the same thing I did before ie. clone the other softmodded Xbox's retail HDD to the extracted 120GB HDD.

There is nothing on the 120GB HDD I want to keep so do I need too or would it be best to wipe, format, or re-partition the HDD first?

4). It's so long since I used it but can I do that using Chimp2618?  

5). When cloned I assume all I have to do is lock it using Chimp2618 and once jumper pins are re-set to master it will be good to go in the new Xbox, yes?

If there's anything else I should do please explain, I've very rusty on these locking and unlocking matters, that's what I'm really concerned about.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »

sounds like you know what you want to do and how to do it..
all i can recommend about your method is wiping the drive 1st.

persoanlly id prefer to use xboxhdm to lock the drive with the eeprom,
but if your comfortable with chimp then your good to go with your process..

i have just seen so many error 13's with chimp that i dont like to reccomend it. (id probably blame that on a shaddow C issue so you may want to dissable that if you have it running)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »

Thanks for confirming everything should be OK.

Not using a Shadow C so that isn't an issue and as for xboxhdm I don't think I'm able to use it. I only have a laptop as of yet and don't you need a spare ATA MB header or a SATA > IDE adapter for xboxhdm to be able to connect the Xbox's HDD to a PC?

I probably should have taken more interest but Chimp2618 worked for me and since then I haven't wanted to replace any other Xbox HDD so I've not had any need to know much about using xboxhdm.

What I have wanted to do is get a USB > IDE external 3.5" HDD adapter and this seems like a good time to do that with with your recommendation to wipe the extracted 120GB before using Chimp2618.