xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help With Softmod; Cant Transfer Saves!  (Read 575 times)

wkw427

• Archived User
Help With Softmod; Cant Transfer Saves!
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

Can't seem to find an edit button..
Anyway, I think, think the issue may be with how I modded my controller port. I couldn't copy any saves from the drive to the usb, either..

But then again, when I made an image in xplorer360, I couldn't add anything to it, either

bLiGhTy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »

do you not have a friend with a hacked box that could put the save on your card for you?

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(wkw427 @ Oct 8 2012, 05:11 PM) View Post

I don't even have a friend. . . with an xbox :x

Let's just face it, you don't have any friends at all... j/k. biggrin.gif

If you're ok with hotswapping, you can put the saves directly onto your Xbox using Xplorer360.  This would be easier than doing a full hotswap softmod.  You just have to make sure that you put the unzipped saves directly into the E:\UDATA\ folder.

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »

Indeed, yes, that was my next step.. I'm hesitant to open the xbox right now, because it smells slightly of pot and I lack compressed air until the weekend.
The savegame I am using (for mech assault) comes from a 7z entitled
Krayzie NDURE 1.1.1 Heimdall Updated

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I do the hotswap, all I need to put on is the 4d530017 folder under MA, right? And I just put that in the root of the xbox hdd?

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »

It would go into E:\UDATA\ so you should end up with E:\UDATA\4d530017\.

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

Alright. That makes sense..
My tl;dr would be

-boot into bios, to prevent computer from booting ect ect ect
-Load xbox, unlock the hdd (play song, pause it)
-Plug xbox hdd into pc, continue to boot into xbox hdm
Where would I find the saves? Could I just as well add the files to the xboxhdm image, and browse to that? Or, does xboxhdm support reading from usb drives?

-

If I'm reading the readme right, it doesn't mention anything about hotswapping the hard drive.. Would it be suffice to just plug the xbhd into my PC's ide and boot into the linux distro?

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

You don't need to use XboxHDM.  Just use Xplorer360 in Windows.  I think that this video should get you going:

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

Much clearer..

This is more for me then it is anything.. But let me know if I got everything right

-unplug dvd power and data
-turn xbox on, error code 12
-Plug into master IDE, hope xplorer360 doesn't crash X.X

Question, is it absolutely necessary for the xbhd to be on the ide port 0? I'm not totally sure, but I do not think my older PC can boot if I change IDE port. Again, not 100% on this. If I can swap them and boot it would be no issue.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(wkw427 @ Oct 9 2012, 06:32 PM) View Post

Much clearer..

This is more for me then it is anything.. But let me know if I got everything right

-unplug dvd power and data
-turn xbox on, error code 12
-Plug into master IDE, hope xplorer360 doesn't crash X.X

This is correct as far as I know (I've never done this before...).
QUOTE(wkw427 @ Oct 9 2012, 06:32 PM) View Post

Question, is it absolutely necessary for the xbhd to be on the ide port 0? I'm not totally sure, but I do not think my older PC can boot if I change IDE port. Again, not 100% on this. If I can swap them and boot it would be no issue.

I really have no idea (see the part where I said that I've never done this before...).  You can give it a try without moving your existing hard drive and at worse, it doesn't work.  If it doesn't work, then try swapping your cable positions and see if that works, and if that doesn't work, then I guess the next easiest thing for you to try is to use XboxHDM, in which case you might as well just do the whole softmod via XboxHDM since you'd already be going through the trouble of using XboxHDM.  Make sure that you have the hard drive jumpered for whatever cable position you're putting it on.

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

Well, progress.

I was able to do the hotswap method to put the mechassault save on the udata folder of my xbhd. The xbox sees the save, and sees it is called "runlinux"

Now, when I put the mech assault disk in, it says "your xbox needs service" and I can't load it..
HOWEVER, I can load conker live and reloaded, and grabbed by the ghoulies

----
Just DELETED the mech assault linux save and now I'm able to boot into the game >.>
Time to put my 55lb beige computer case cra 1990 back on the floor again

O.O

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »

Have you deleted all other Mech Assault saves from the hard drive besides the softmod save?  I know that unexpected things are supposed to happen when you have other saves for the same game on your Xbox.  I don't know what's supposed to happen with Mech Assault when other saves are present but I know that for Splinter Cell, the Xbox freezes after loading the save.

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »

No. It seems that the issue was, you need to have STARTED the game BEFORE you copied the linux saves to it. Noticed that when GBTG had a save of its own, and I just booted into the menu.

None the less, I got the crash save to work and it promps me to back up the eprom. I'm going to do the rest in the morning, less I want to stay up all night cleaning my room of a mess of wires and computer cases.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »

Going through with the installer literally only takes a few minutes in case you wanted to get it done tonight.  Make sure that you save a local copy of the EEPROM.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

The installer saves the EEPROM backup to the E:\ drive but I forgot the exact path (it's been a long time since I used a softmod for anything more than flashing the TSOP).  I think it's something like E:\backups\.  While the installer is loaded (not necessarily doing anything, just loaded), then you can FTP into the Xbox (it will show the IP address in the corner) and then browse to wherever the EEPROM backup is located (it should be named something like eeprom.bin or eeprom_backup.bin) and then just copy that file onto your computer (and maybe anything else in the backup folder).  After that, just continue with the installer and let it install the softmod for you.

wkw427

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »

Ah, I see. Alright.
Still, would have to wait until morning, as the room I have the xbox hooked up in has no network drops, and I really don't want to muck about bridging a connection through my wireless adapter at usb1 speeds.

Can you recommend any free ftp applications? The one that I found to connect to xbins.. didn't really seem to allow me to download anything, and it was a 30 day trial.
Pages: [1] 2