xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Update Dashboard To 5960  (Read 549 times)

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
How To Update Dashboard To 5960
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »

Alright, I've done very extensive Google, Bing and Xbox-Scene research on it and I've only found a thread mentioning using ndure's gamesave. I've also found on and xbmc blog about using an official Xbox Live Enabled game to update my Dashboard. Well, I tried music Mixer and nothing happened since the original Xbox can't be connected to Microsoft's XBL servers anymore.

I ordered a copy of Forza Motorsport since it's on this list and also because I love Forza smile.gif So I'm hoping that I can update my Dashboard because I'm really ready to Softmod this Xbox I just purchased from Craigslist last Friday. I plan on upgrading to a larger HDD also.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »

If you've run a Live enabled game and nothing has happened chances are that it has already been updated to 5960.

Simple to check: on your MS dash click on Settings then scroll down to System Info. Wait for the copyright notice to start scrolling and near the bottom you should: see two sets of numbers. The second set should be:

D: 1.00.5960.01.

Voila - you are using version 5960 and you're good to go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Sep 11 2012, 12:43 PM

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »

any live enabled game after 2004 should be able to update your game. Halo 2 is usualy recoomended as its really common..

just stick it in say play on libve and it will update..

now if you dont have a live enabled game ther is a method of softmoding then updating then softmoding again..

the way i do that is..
use krazies ndure 1.1.1 splinter cell exploit (you will need the original splinter cell game to do this, the 1st one)
transfer the save to your xbox.
boot up splinter cell, and go load the linux loader.
install the softmod as a minimal install. (it wont check for an updated dash this way)
when thats done. download hexen "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" and burn it to dvd-r at 4x or slower. then put that in your xbox and start it..

use the file explorer in hexen to replace everything on your xbox's C:\ drive with the "contents" of D:\stock files\C
you should notice that the files are almost exactly the ones you are replacing..

when thats done dont turn off or reboot or anything.
go straight to soft mod tools. and do a one click softmod install krazies ndure 1.1.1 SC
follow the instructions and dont reboot or turn off or anything. the xbox will do that when its done..

When its finished your fully softmodded have a good solid softmod installed. really decent revision of the dashboards available to you. and shaddow c is installed.

technically you dont have to replace the contents of C as hexen should do it for you.. however hexen has never done it for me. so i always manualy replace the contents of c before starting the softmod.

But having just said all that.. you should just check and see if its already updated before you do any of that.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Sep 11 2012, 06:39 AM) View Post

If you've run a Live enabled game and nothing has happened chances are that it has already been updated to 5960.

Simple to check: on your MS dash click on Settings then scroll down to System Info. Wait for the copyright notice to start scrolling and near the bottom you should: see two sets of numbers. The second set should be:

D: 1.00.5960.01.

Voila - you are using version 5960 and you're good to go. smile.gif

I already know this. Thanks anyway.

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Sep 11 2012, 11:54 AM) View Post

any live enabled game after 2004 should be able to update your game. Halo 2 is usualy recoomended as its really common..

just stick it in say play on libve and it will update..

now if you dont have a live enabled game ther is a method of softmoding then updating then softmoding again..

the way i do that is..
use krazies ndure 1.1.1 splinter cell exploit (you will need the original splinter cell game to do this, the 1st one)
transfer the save to your xbox.
boot up splinter cell, and go load the linux loader.
install the softmod as a minimal install. (it wont check for an updated dash this way)
when thats done. download hexen "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" and burn it to dvd-r at 4x or slower. then put that in your xbox and start it..

use the file explorer in hexen to replace everything on your xbox's C:\ drive with the "contents" of D:\stock files\C
you should notice that the files are almost exactly the ones you are replacing..

when thats done dont turn off or reboot or anything.
go straight to soft mod tools. and do a one click softmod install krazies ndure 1.1.1 SC
follow the instructions and dont reboot or turn off or anything. the xbox will do that when its done..

When its finished your fully softmodded have a good solid softmod installed. really decent revision of the dashboards available to you. and shaddow c is installed.

technically you dont have to replace the contents of C as hexen should do it for you.. however hexen has never done it for me. so i always manualy replace the contents of c before starting the softmod.
But having just said all that.. you should just check and see if its already updated before you do any of that.

I'm downloading Hexen right now. So I just installed my Softmod with a Singleboot with an Unleashed X Dashboard and I backed up my eeprom again and shut my Xbox off until I burn Hexen to disc. Anything else I should do or not do? Thanks.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

you should be good to go.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »

Update: Alright so I got my hands on a Copy of Fight Night Round 3 and I updated my Dashbaord to 5960, but when I go into SID 5.0 and try to backup my new MS Dash, the program aborts the install likes its designed to do because it says that my old softmod is still on the Xbox. So what I plan on doing is wiping the entire Xbox and starting over with the softmod AFTER I update it first. I'm not using Hexen, there is no need now that I have my copy of Forza and Fight Night Round 3.

Update: I now have Error Code 13 because the MS Dashboard is not loading because I attempted to remove the Softmod using the SID 5.0 menu and now I can only run games from the DVD drive once their already in the console before I power it on. I'm thinking if I re-install the softmod and then FTP into the console and update the Backup folder using Krazie's or whatnot, I may be good. Any input is fine because I'm losing it right now...lol I should've just used Hexen's DVD.

This post has been edited by Infamous Ob: Sep 15 2012, 07:32 PM

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »

The solution that I gave here should apply to you as well: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=744153

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Sep 20 2012, 02:59 AM) View Post

The solution that I gave here should apply to you as well: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=744153

Yeah, but now it has Error 16. I haven't tried FTPing into it or anything because I've been busy with work, but I'll give it a shot later.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »

If you're getting error 16 then you have to either hotswap or install a modchip (at least temporarily to fix the error 16).  The softmod that you're using is also incredibly old (modern softmods don't error 16).  You should have followed shambles1980's suggestion to use Hexen to both update your dashboard to 5960 and update your softmod to krayzie ndure's 1.1.1.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

i would have used hexen over sid any day of the week..
SID and AID arent the most noob friendly versions available. infact they have many errors and code flaws that can lead to issues, and are no longer in development.
development has been moved over to pimped, and then xbmc installer 3.2

error 16 is xbox clock not set and no msdash found to set it.
you cannot fix error 16 with any dvd in the xbox because as a default the xbox Will force you to set the clock before it will boot any disk even a retail disk.

the cheapest way to fix the issue is via hotswap.
you need the default ms dash files back on the system at the least. "just to set the clock so you can boot a retail game"

if you want my advice i will give it.
I would presonally extract the hexen.iso you downloaded to your pc using magiciso or simlar. then i would hotswap the hard disk in to a pc and boot to windows then id use xplorer360 to view the contents of the hard disk, I would then replace the files on the c partition with ones from the stock files on you got from the extracted iso.

i would also try to find the udata folder on hexen that contains the exploited game save file. and put them in the E partition of the hard disk.

this should atleast get you back to a stock xbox where you can start again and set the clock excetera.

if you accomplish this correctly i would advize getting a copy of splinter cell. and starting that and going to load the exploit. when you do that you can then tell it to  boot a rescue disk.. "if you dont have splinter cell use any available exploitable game"
Throw SID in to the nearest fire. then put hexen in the xbox dvd drive.
after hexen has booted
Tell it to do a 1 click softmod install krazies ndure 1.1.1 SC

follow the instructions. and then thank heimdall for making such an awesome utility disk you really should have used to start it, because he would not have made it if sid excetera was something we recomend using.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Sep 21 2012, 01:24 AM

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »

SID/AID may not be as noob safe as a Hexen installation but it does still work perfectly well if you're careful. AID has a Shadow C option and if that is selected, as I think all of the experts here would recommend, it should be protected in the same way as Hexen.

SID/AID gives you options not to do that and that may well be the wrong thing to do but it doesn't make SID/AID a poor choice in itself.

I've been using Xboxes with a very old SID softmod for 6 years and a later but far from the latest version on a couple of other machines for 4+ years. Both types are regularly used for Xbox games including the new installation of ones from my unplayed collection, music playing and occasionally DVD viewing.

So far so good - not had any problem caused by using SID/AID. But then I've learned that if it's working OK not to fiddle with things and certainly not if I don't completely understand what I'm doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Sep 21 2012, 05:03 AM

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »

I see no reason to use SID or AID when krayzie's ndure is available and is widely known to be the best, and trying to use SID or AID could be harmful because you could end up using an outdated softmod without knowing it if you don't pay attention to what version you're using.  If you use krayzie's ndure softmod, you absolutely know what you're getting.  Nobody should be using anything but krayzie's ndure to softmod their Xbox at this point.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »

I agree, use the best, most up too date options there are if you have access to them which, BTW, I actually don't.  

My point is: SID/AID still works as well as it did when it was often being recommended here. It is also very easy to find and the web site concerned a  benchmark in this field for instruction, clarity, useful information and design.

If you take the necessary precautions there's no reason to treat SID/AID as if it were some embarrassing, evil old relative who'll ruin your Xbox now best locked in the attic and forgotten about.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »

Everything will work as well as it did when it was first recommended (can I interest you in buying a PC from 1996?  It works as well as when it was first recommended), and there are reasons why SID and AID are no longer recommended.  Not only can you end up with an outdated version that is susceptible to being overwritten/disabled accidentally, but you can end up in situations like the OP where the softmod won't uninstall correctly, and both of these situations will ruin your Xbox.  I don't think that I've ever read about anyone having problems like this with krayzie's ndure, but there are tons of people who have these problems with SID/AID.  There's a reason why the XBE Exploits forum only has stickies for krayzie's ndure and not for any other softmod packages.  As I mentioned before, there's no reason to purposely use SID/AID over krayzie's ndure.  I can understand if someone had never heard of krayzie's ndure, but anyone who has should be using that instead, and yes, SID and AID should be forgotten about.

I'm also not sure why you wouldn't have access to the krayzie's ndure softmod packages.  They're available from the usual places, and if you can't get it from there, I found them quite easily by googling "xbox krayzie's ndure download".

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

aid is no longer reccomended at xb-hq (says a lot when the developers stop recomending it
and SID has been abandoned due to a lot of coding mistahes that would need to be fixed to properly update it any futher so it has been totaly abandoned and replaced with xbmc installer 3.2

people over at xb-hq and here are tired of people having issues with the older programs, which could vastly be attributed to how they handle shaddow C as they felt they had to develop a diferent method of utilizing shaddow c or be labled thieves for using a known working method.

to me i think that worrying about sharing code for softmods is a bit rediculous as the vast majority of a softmod is infringing MS's IP so to to try and lable some one els for the use of your IP in there softmod installer is a bit hypocrytical. but again this is just my understanding of how things went wrong and SPPV could better explain the why's as to the whole AID/SID not being the best apps to use "specifcally Aid"

personaly i think hexen should get a update every now and then if only to update the xbmc it installs, and prehaps add x3 flashing excetera.
this would be heimdalls decision though but im sure it would be greatly appretiated by the xbox croud.

any way as for softmod installer disks then hexen is my choice.
AID and SID are out dated.
xbmc installer 3.2 should now be used instead of SID if you want to use the xb-hq developed apps.
and there is also pimped installer disk which is also updated but xbmc installer 3.2 is the most up to date.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Sep 24 2012, 10:04 PM
Pages: [1] 2